Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | KILL unwanted or disabled babies at birth as they are not a real person'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

KILL unwanted or disabled babies at birth as they are not a real person'

Old 02-03-2012, 07:03   #1
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
KILL unwanted or disabled babies at birth as they are not a real person'

Quote:
Doctors should have the right to kill newborn babies because they are disabled, too expensive or simply unwanted by their mothers, an academic with links to Oxford University has claimed.

Francesca Minerva, a philosopher and medical ethicist, argues a young baby is not a real person and so killing it in the first days after birth is little different to aborting it in the womb.

Even a healthy baby could have its life snuffed out if the mother decides she can’t afford to look after it, the article published by the British Medical Journal group states.
Quote:
Anti-abortion vicar: 'If infanticide is morally repulsive, then abortion is too'
Link

Another Link

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: KILL unwanted or disabled babies at birth as they are not a real person'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I find this suggestion repulsive in the extreme.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I find this suggestion repulsive in the extreme.
Yes the suggestion is utterly shocking.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I'd suggest anyone who advocates killing babies "is not a real person".
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

It is a bit fecked up.......
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54   #6
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

It is yet another attempt at back seat anti abortion horror.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09   #7
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

I think before everyone's heads explode in a rash of disgust it should be pointed out that the article is not meant to be an argument in favour of infanticide .It is a philosophical argument designed to promote debate about abortion of disabled fetuses which is legal in some cases.She appears to be suggesting in the hyperthetical argument that there is is cause in some cases to kill a badly deformed or otherwise disabled child after birth as in some countries it would be permitted to abort the same fetus before birth

Quote:
She said she believes her argument was taken out of its academic and theoretical context, and that 'I wish I could explain to people it is not a policy - and I'm not suggesting that and I'm not encouraging that'.

The full article is here
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18   #8
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
It is yet another attempt at back seat anti abortion horror.
Yeah, if you can't find outrageous things in a moral philosophers work, then he or she isn't doing their job properly.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'd suggest anyone who advocates killing babies "is not a real person".
Almost 190,000 babies we killed - legally - in 2010 in England and Wales. We hide the fact behind the euphemism "abortion".

By your definition there are rather a lot of not-people out there...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Even the devil wouldn't want these people. Hell has is own place for people who kill babies.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14   #11
RizzyKing

Is this the level of academia we have gotten too in this country where we ponder the killing of babies. Maybe i am not high brow enough but this is just tasteless and crass for so called intellectuals to be hypothesising on at a time when have so many other things to deal with. Thats putting aside the fact that while she might nnt regard it as anything more then an intellectual exercise there are people and groups who believe this type of thing and wil take this as intellectual endorsement. It is just not something any person i know would ever think about in anyway and anyone who can think like this in anyway is not someone i could be round.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:21   #12
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Is this the level of academia we have gotten too in this country where we ponder the killing of babies. Maybe i am not high brow enough but this is just tasteless and crass for so called intellectuals to be hypothesising on at a time when have so many other things to deal with. Thats putting aside the fact that while she might nnt regard it as anything more then an intellectual exercise there are people and groups who believe this type of thing and wil take this as intellectual endorsement. It is just not something any person i know would ever think about in anyway and anyone who can think like this in anyway is not someone i could be round.
Without intellectual discussions such as this we would not have arrived at the laws we have now .Discussing abortion related topics is always going to be controversial but it needs to be done so that society as a whole can decide what it finds acceptable or not .
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19   #13
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Almost 190,000 babies we killed - legally - in 2010 in England and Wales. We hide the fact behind the euphemism "abortion".

By your definition there are rather a lot of not-people out there...
I think that depends on when you believe life begins. I don't think killing a baby that has been born is the same as aborting a fetus early on in it's development. I think the academics point is that the justification we sometimes use for that is fetus hasn't developed a sense of awareness but the same could be said of a young child. Still, I think it's different.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think that depends on when you believe life begins. I don't think killing a baby that has been born is the same as aborting a fetus early on in it's development. I think the academics point is that the justification we sometimes use for that is fetus hasn't developed a sense of awareness but the same could be said of a young child. Still, I think it's different.
The ethicists have raised a point that is very, very uncomfortable for those that advocate abortion IMO. The fact is, we have no scientific definition for when personhood begins. What we have is a fudged moral compromise, using a vaguely scientific measure of 'viability', to determine when abortion can happen and when it cannot. This definition isn't even universal, it applies in the UK but is different elsewhere.

The reason the argument is so uncomfortable for pro-choicers is that it exposes the arbitrary nature of our current law to cold, hard logic. There is no cold, hard, dispassionate reason why a severely disabled baby can be killed in the womb but not immediately post-birth. The reason for not killing such a child after birth is not scientific but moral. And if we accept the basis of the debate is a moral one, rather than hiding behind supposedly scientific arguments about "viability", what is that morality to be based on? Where should we draw the line, and why?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42   #15
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The ethicists have raised a point that is very, very uncomfortable for those that advocate abortion IMO. The fact is, we have no scientific definition for when personhood begins. What we have is a fudged moral compromise, using a vaguely scientific measure of 'viability', to determine when abortion can happen and when it cannot. This definition isn't even universal, it applies in the UK but is different elsewhere.

The reason the argument is so uncomfortable for pro-choicers is that it exposes the arbitrary nature of our current law to cold, hard logic. There is no cold, hard, dispassionate reason why a severely disabled baby can be killed in the womb but not immediately post-birth. The reason for not killing such a child after birth is not scientific but moral. And if we accept the basis of the debate is a moral one, rather than hiding behind supposedly scientific arguments about "viability", what is that morality to be based on? Where should we draw the line, and why?
That's the case for any number of things, we draw arbitrary lines with animal rights all the time, so is the "adult"/"child" distinction.