Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 06-04-2010, 19:51   #46
TimboUK
Inactive

TimboUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Went for it and now running newer build:

Get that on a download via wireless, so throughput is ok, its just pages take forever to load and appear to load in 10 "spurts" of data a few seconds apart.
Hmm

Web is just not useable via wifi, yet directly wired its brilliant!
TimboUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2010, 15:33   #47
taylorig
Inactive

Services: VM Basic TV/30Mbit BB/Phone
taylorig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thank you for this guide.

I just have one question. Why is the button on the side of this router permanently on red now? Is this normal or have i missed something? Maybe a setting in the dd-wrt firmware i am missing?

By the way i am on the r14144 dd-wrt firmware.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info on this

EDIT: it's ok i sorted it now after some more reading through the DD-WRT forums. Also got the internet light on the front to be green like it was by default. With this code in Administration/Commands:

sleep 15 ; gpio disable 9; gpio enable 8; gpio disable 12; gpio enable 14 ; gpio disable 11 ; gpio enable 13

Fully up and running now. Love it!

Oh one more thing. My DIR-615 is hardware version D1 (It's one i bought some time back) and like i said this firrmware works perfect on this hardware revision.
taylorig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 23:00   #48
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back to D-Link's 4.11 firmware today to compare it since using DD-WRT and for a while and it actually worked quite well and then the poor speeds came, so back to DD-WRT, but I have noticed some things with DD-WRT.

With DD-WRT quite a lot of links take a while to load, click them again or multiple times and they load pretty much instantly. Despite the poor speeds, D-Link's firmware always opens links with one click. This happens using the ISP's DNS servers, using OpenDNS' in the router and when using OpenDNS' on the adpater. Is there a setting you can point me towards in DD-WRT's admin pages that I might have overlooked that will fix this?

Tonight we are having the same poor speeds with DD-WRT as D-Link. Our 10 MB broadband has been close to that with DD-WRT, but tonight it's doing a D-Link and we can't even get half of that in various speed tests and I'm using the same settings as before. Any ideas?

A download from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/ usually runs over 1 MB per second, but at the moment I can't get half that.

I'm getting really sick of Virgin Media's service and the D-Link router, but I shouldn't have to go out a buy a new router to get the most out of our connection. The one they supplied should be fit for purpose.

Any help greatly appreciated.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 13:34   #49
taylorig
Inactive

Well i just did a download speedtest from the link you provided with a BF1942 demo at 133Mb.

This is what constant speed i got http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...g/Untitled.jpg

Also whenever i do a speedtest with say http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ i allways get just short of my maximum 20Mb download but a little short on the upload usually http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...1955&v=9713101

Just thought i would post so you have a bit of a comparison

Oh and i don't experience any of these "Slow links" as you described at all with DD-WRT. No difference for me than with D-Links official firmware. The main thing that sold it for me with DD-WRT's firmware is the fact that my son and i can now play the same CS:S server together. Unlike with D-Links firmware we had allsorts of strange error's were it wouldn't let another one of us join from the same network without the second person trying to get on only to get kicked all of the time. And believe me when i say i tried everything to get it working on the official firmware. It just didn't want to know...

One more thing mjpartyboy, have you checked all your power level's?
Old 12-04-2010, 23:19   #50
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Question Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorig View Post
have you checked all your power level's?
How are these:

Downstream Receive Power Level: 5.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36.5 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level: 38.0 dBmV
Old 18-04-2010, 15:26   #51
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I've upgraded to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/16/10) std - build 14289, so will see how I get on with this build.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Old 18-04-2010, 21:26   #52
taylorig
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
I've upgraded to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/16/10) std - build 14289, so will see how I get on with this build.

Just done the same myself. So far so good and i've been using it since it's release.
Old 18-04-2010, 23:20   #53
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
Just done the same myself. So far so good and i've been using it since it's release.
I'm getting wireless issues where I have to click links more than once before they'll open.
Old 19-04-2010, 00:06   #54
taylorig
Inactive

Quote:
I'm getting wireless issues where I have to click links more than once before they'll open.

No problems here with wireless on this build. We have a Laptop, 2x phones and my daughters friend round last night (With Laptop) that had no issue's with wireless connection also.

Infact i can quite honestly say i've had no problems on all three DD-WRT firmwares i have tried on this router so far apart from the little niggle and the side button (But even that's sorted now). The only difference between my router and ever other persons is that my Hardware version is D1. Surely that can't make a difference. Can it!
Old 19-04-2010, 00:17   #55
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
The only difference between my router and ever other persons is that my Hardware version is D1. Surely that can't make a difference. Can it!
My own feeling about the D2 revision is it's just a revision number to denote a Virgin Media supplied DIR-615 D series router, especially since the DD-WRT firmware we're running on our D1 and D2 revisions is based on the build that was originally for the DIR-600.
Old 24-04-2010, 06:59   #56
MuppetDevil
Inactive

MuppetDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

All, I read this thread with interest having updated my D2 to DD-WRT recently. Before finding this thread.
First I want to help clear up a few issues, so if any of the following helps take it.

I didn't flash mine 2x first with factory then with the secondary bin. Just did it with the dir615d-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin and works fine.
Can only assume factory flash has a modified header to allow D-Link fw (not VM fw) to be uploaded to it. Guessing non factory flash is ok with VM fw or an older DD-WRT fw.

Current Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/24/10) std - build 14144

When I was on orig VM fw. I had a major problem. There were up to 6 wireless devices linked to the router and it needed to be rebooted at least once per day. It would slow to a crawl and only a power down and up (not software reboot) would fix this with 6 wireless clients.
When it was used with 4 or less clients I hardly ever had to reboot it. Take this for what you will.

Other speed issues occured at the same time. When the household went up to 6 devices I thought it was a good time to update from 10Mb to 20Mb package. This resulted in the average speed being lowered from 9.8-9.9Mb to around 7Mb with occasional and I really do mean occasional bursts into the 12Mb range.
After many frustrating calls terminating in India I finally got hold of 2 Uk based engineers who actually did some tests and stopped telling me they were "refreshing the line" as was all I could get out of India.
The detail that I got regarding my slower line was that the UBR that the 20Mb package ran on was having intermittent faults and that was the cause of the problem. The solution was to drop back to 10Mb which I did and it fixed the problem immiediately. No problems since hitting 9.8 on speedtest.net.

When on orig VM fw and on 20Mb with UBR problem. I had a problem mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Namely that clicking on a link was no guarantee that things would happen. Needed a few clicks sometimes before the next link would even start to load. Even when the router was just reset. Had a fully stable 54Mbs link. During intermittent and good periods.

I'm not saying that a dodgy UBR in your area is the cause, and if you suspect it is. Call VM in the morning to be guaranteed a connection to a UK engineer. Who ever you get be polite. I work in a call centre and it's not fun talking to a ranting punter.

About to upgrade both 615's to new firmware. After upgrade never arrived, I placed a phone call to say it didn't arrive. The agent sent another and they both arrived on the same (next) day.
With DD-WRT I'm able to use the 2nd router to make a wireless bridge (used DD-WRT Bridge repeater, with no "virtual interfaces" as I couldn't get a Client Bridge to work)to the first on orig VM fw and have a wired network on the 2nd floor. With a very stable link after I upped the output power to 160. Able to stream HD media through 2 Victorian house interior brick walls, to an xbox 360 using it. Theres tons of guides for setting up xbox 360 to media centre on XP, Vista and Win 7 so search for it instead of asking me for help with this.

Guys I wish you all the best of luck and if my advice helps tilt a glass for me.
MuppetDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 00:28   #57
Dexstroyer
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV home phone + 3 Virgin Mobiles & 50MB Broadband Happy with the lot!
Dexstroyer is on a distinguished roadDexstroyer is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I seem to be coming across this dd-wrt quite a lot not sure what it does fully but would this enable me to have an open NAT for 2 xbox 360's online at the same time?
Dexstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 01:25   #58
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Ive just upgraded to Build 14311, seems to be working fine.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:13   #59
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Ive just upgraded to Build 14311, seems to be working fine.
I've been using 14311 since it was released and thought I posted about its release, but just realised I hadn't. It's currently the recommended build for the DIR-615 D2 in the DD-WRT database.

I've definitely had the most stable performance with this build compared to previous ones on the D2. It seems to cope much better with the laptop, 360 and PS3 all connected by wireless at the same time and streaming to the PS3 is much better than previous builds.
Old 18-05-2010, 06:16   #60
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Hmmm

I have managed to flash it to the 2nd firmware, can access the gui fine.

However when I have the cable modem plugged into it, it does not pickup the wan ip and I have no internet access. I plug the cable modem back into the pc and the pc picks up the wan ip fine.

In the setup page I have the wan config set to automatic dhcp configuration which the help slider on the right says is correct for cable isp's.

any ideas?

---------- Post added at 05:16 ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 ----------

Ok I got the net working, I had to clone my pc mac on the router.

If I upgrade to this 14311 version do I just upgrade as normal or do I need to reset all my settings first?

thanks
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote