Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 21:51   #1
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

80/20 Thinking have organised a public meeting in London on 15th April (Tuesday). This meeting is open to the public and Phoem's CEO will be present as will Richard Clayton.

This thread is for anyone who will be attending the meeting in order to organise opportunities for people to meet up and hopefully organise some form of direct action around the event.

I would like to point you all to this post:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post2755.html

Where I have outlined some provisional ideas.

If you are planning to attend the meeting, please get involved with this thread. It will also enable us to see how many people are going to attend from these forums.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 23:21   #2
fidbod
Inactive

fidbod is on a distinguished roadfidbod is on a distinguished road
Re: Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

I for one shall be attending

Alex - please could you post up a fresh link to your paper, I cannto find it in the other very long thread about Phorm.
fidbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 23:42   #3
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Just be careful. Unless you think Phorm are an open and above board company, suspect they are up to something.

On the face of it, they have nothing to gain from this except bad publicity. They are bound to have something up their sleeves.

Be prepared for things to go not how you imagine.

Just my thoughts and good luck. :
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 00:00   #4
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I don't think there will be need for fliers as I expect everyone who attends will be against Phorm, except maybe 2 people.

I will hopefully get a tshirt done tomorrow, based on one of the badphorm designs by none et al.

Not working in London, I just hope I can get out of work early to make it for the 6.30 start

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

On a mischievous note, if we could start a chant of DO NOT WANT when Kent gets up to speak, that would be epic :-)
serial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 00:04   #5
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidbod View Post
I for one shall be attending

Alex - please could you post up a fresh link to your paper, I cannto find it in the other very long thread about Phorm.
http://www.paladine.org.uk/phorm_paper.pdf

It isn't finished yet but it will be by Friday.

We would like to get everyone to buy one of these for the event if possible:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...daa9027425c7d7

It is a V for Vendetta mask, but their shipping is "Within 28 days". Ideally we could do with someone who lives near one of the stores who is going to the meeting, to buy a couple so others can buy them off them at the event.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

I can confirm I will be attending the meeting. One of the forum members has kindly offered to drive me there and back.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 00:08   #6
serial
Inactive

Won't this just give Phorm and the ISPs the excuse that they are fighting 'anonymous' hackers. They can say that they are protecting the average user from hackers etc. I think the use of the masks will go against the anti Phorm argument.

Its a nice idea, I support the Scientology debate, but this could work against us.
Old 10-04-2008, 00:13   #7
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

No not at all. I will be asking questions during the panel hopefully so I certainly won't be wearing a mask at that point, it would be rude. But it would be nice to arrive at the event in the mask and sit through the initial commentaries in our masks. We would of course remove our masks when Dr Richard Clayton takes the podium.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 00:23   #8
serial
Inactive

I like the idea but I can just see the headlines the next day "Anonymous hijacks privacy debate", "Internet hackers fight for their privacy". I think the talk will be against Phorm anyway, we don't need masks.
Old 10-04-2008, 00:24   #9
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

This meeting, and what will be discussed at the meeting, will be in the public interest. I have asked 80/20 if the meeting can be web-cast and/or recorded for distribution later as a podcast. I'll report back with the reply once I get it.

Ali.
manxminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:33   #10
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
I like the idea but I can just see the headlines the next day "Anonymous hijacks privacy debate", "Internet hackers fight for their privacy". I think the talk will be against Phorm anyway, we don't need masks.
I agree. People need to go as suited professionals. You argue with logic, the law and expertise. You show you are not just a marginalised geek.

Phorm would love for 'the other side' to be grouped with anti-globalists dressed up as beagles.

If people do not go along as concerned professionals, you can wave the whole campaign goodbye.

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:58 ----------

I'm not so certain that it's a good idea for this thread to be split from the main one. There are plenty of people who can't get to the meeting, but would like to be involved in the discussions about it.

We dont have seperate threads for RIPA or ICO etc.

It might be a good idea to have a thread about anouncements regarding the meeting. i.e. where to meet up etc., perhaps a temporary 'sticky' if the mods would agree?

But I do think the discussion for all this should be kept in one place.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42   #11
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

I agree with Mark. Using parapernalia and costumes will not enhance the cause. I'm also confused why a public meeting with Phorm is being entertained. It will be stage-managed and the outcome manipulated. Phorm are irrelevant. Get ISP's to explain their position; they are remaining quiet. We are already being suckered.

The Phorm proposals are a national disgrace.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:47   #12
serial
Inactive

8020thinking:

"We are holding this meeting in as transparent a manner as possible, and as
such would be happy for you to bring along your camcorder should you so
wish"
Old 10-04-2008, 02:22   #13
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

I've also had a reply from 80/20 Thinking re my request for a webcast or podcast of the meeting. The reply I received was privileged and confidential, but what I can say is that so far I am very happy with the response I received. Being ever hopeful, I'll say watch out for some public news about this tomorrow (err, later on today as it's gone 1am and time for bed!)

Ali.
manxminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:08   #14
80/20Thinking
Inactive

80/20Thinking is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

Following our email responses to some of you, I just wanted to confirm that we are looking to webcast the proceedings of the Phorm public meeting on Tuesday in London. We're hoping the technology at the theatre will allow this, but please do bring along vid cameras if you wish, just to be on the safe side.

Best wishes

Simon Davies
MD, 80/20 Tinking Ltd
www.8020thinking.com
80/20Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:44   #15
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Just be careful. Unless you think Phorm are an open and above board company, suspect they are up to something.

On the face of it, they have nothing to gain from this except bad publicity. They are bound to have something up their sleeves.

Be prepared for things to go not how you imagine.

Just my thoughts and good luck. :
http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/

Near the bottom it says it's a 300 seat lecture theatre.