Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Old 05-10-2011, 19:07   #16
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
In the article it stated even constables who had just joined could get these payments.

Even a newly trained constable earning around £25,000 would pocket £64 for a similar call.

But the point i was trying to make was this certain groups of workers tube being the obvious example seem to get very good deals due to their power,rightly or wrongly the police seem to do very well.

Wheras the soldiers that fight for the freedom of our country die for very little reward.

All over the public sector be it tube drivers or any other employee needs to have a proper structure which appears to be delivered by the power wielded and nothing else.
could I point the Fail's article didn't state it had happened, but that it could.. ( which usually means it hasn't, otherwise they would have printed that).

They appear to be taking a hypothetical example to an extreme...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2011, 21:13   #17
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I am in full support of any increase tube drivers get, do you know how much stress that they are under in the tunnels.

At any time someone can jump in front of you cab, a friend of mine works for British Rail or South West as they are called, he had two jumpers in the same week.

I would not do that job for £100.000 a week,.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 21:18   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I am in full support of any increase tube drivers get, do you know how much stress that they are under in the tunnels.

At any time someone can jump in front of you cab, a friend of mine works for British Rail or South West as they are called, he had two jumpers in the same week.

that's why they do it for £55,000

seriously though Arthur ,as has been pointed out that logic can be applied to any kind of driving job .There are limits as to what a job is worth and imo a tube driver is not worth £55,000 p/a plus extras
Old 05-10-2011, 21:24   #19
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you drive a car? Are you aware that someone can jump in front of your car at any point?

I've scraped someone off the tracks when they decided to go for a sit down in front of a train and end it all. It wasn't pretty but I got on with it because it was part of my job and I sure as hell didn't moan about it and demand my pay got doubled.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 21:33   #20
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

To be perfectly honest i don't think the argument that the drivers suffer if someone jumps onto the tracks will have crossed anyones minds during the negotiations .The members are just taking advantage of a union leader who is out to make a name for himself by blackmailing the city of london and he knows he can get away with it because should the tubes go on strike for any meaningful amount of time the city would grind to a halt under the sheer numbers that switch to cars or buses
Old 05-10-2011, 21:35   #21
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
How much would they need to pay you to recover body parts, or people mangled under trains then, like the emergency services do??

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
To be perfectly honest i don't think the argument that the drivers suffer if someone jumps onto the tracks will have crossed anyones minds during the negotiations .The members are just taking advantage of a union leader who is out to make a name for himself by blackmailing the city of london and he knows he can get away with it because should the tubes go on strike for any meaningful amount of time the city would grind to a halt under the sheer numbers that switch to cars or buses
It is probably more to do with the fact that the transport minister is terrified that the transport system could grind to a halt during the olympics. Shame they aren't also paying those that will have to deal with any incidents the same sort of money. They are just being told to do their job.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08   #22
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Good luck to them I say.

This is the free market at work. Although I dislike Bob Crow he's got them quite a deal.

LU are happy to pay it.

At the end of the day, you're worth whatever someones willing to pay you for your services.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:13   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Good luck to them I say.

This is the free market at work. Although I dislike Bob Crow he's got them quite a deal.

LU are happy to pay it.

At the end of the day, you're worth whatever someones willing to pay you for your services.
Sorry Pierre but that's ridiculous, it's not even close to being the free market at work. In a free market these guys would've been fired and replaced by cheaper staff, of which there's no shortage who'd do the job for less.

As it is it's a pretty much closed shop, they've their nice benefits packages, cannot be made compulsorily redundant, in short all the most market distorting aspects of public sector employment.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37   #24
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sorry Pierre but that's ridiculous, it's not even close to being the free market at work. In a free market these guys would've been fired and replaced by cheaper staff, of which there's no shortage who'd do the job for less.
And where would they have got all these replacement drivers from, and how quickly would they have recruited them, trained them and have them in place - all whilst still maintaining a service.

So the train drivers are leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves....and anyone on this forum would do any different for themselves????

It's collective bargining, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
As it is it's a pretty much closed shop, they've their nice benefits packages, cannot be made compulsorily redundant, in short all the most market distorting aspects of public sector employment.
Sounds like the police force.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:18   #25
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The police force can't strike Pierre.

Thank you for taking back what you said though - as you noted the train drivers are 'leveraging their position', absolutely nothing to do with the free market at all an entirely closed market no different from a monopoly supplier of goods ramping the price of them up the arse because they can.

I guess given you're fine with the tube drivers doing this you'd be fine with having monopoly suppliers of things other than labour leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves?

Didn't think so.

Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of their constant petulant strops, had the pleasure of trying to get to and from work when they are extorting London for more money or among the millions seeing their own salaries go up below inflation if at all, including workers far more skilled and in peril than tube drivers yet paid far less, while looking to 7-8% fare increases on LU you'd have a different opinion.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05   #26
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
The police force can't strike Pierre.

Thank you for taking back what you said though - as you noted the train drivers are 'leveraging their position', absolutely nothing to do with the free market at all an entirely closed market no different from a monopoly supplier of goods ramping the price of them up the arse because they can.
I'm not taking anything back, LU are free to decline the pay demands.

Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure.

Quote:
I guess given you're fine with the tube drivers doing this you'd be fine with having monopoly suppliers of things other than labour leveraging their position to get the best possible deal for themselves?
I don't have to worry about that, as there is a monopolies commission.

Quote:
Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of their constant petulant strops, had the pleasure of trying to get to and from work when they are extorting London for more money
Get the bus

Quote:
or among the millions seeing their own salaries go up below inflation if at all, including workers far more skilled and in peril than tube drivers yet paid far less, while looking to 7-8% fare increases on LU you'd have a different opinion.
If your jealous of their career, then apply to be tube driver.

That last paragraph could be applied to a dozen other professions I don't see the need to single out tube drivers
Old 06-10-2011, 14:25   #27
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
I'm not taking anything back, LU are free to decline the pay demands.

Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure.
As previously noted it's a monopoly, not a free market position.

Quote:
I don't have to worry about that, as there is a monopolies commission.
Why would we want one? 'Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure' after all. Companies with monopolies overcharging is purely leveraging their position surely?

Quote:
Get the bus
Spoken like someone with no idea what they're talking about. Come down to London during a tube strike.

Quote:
If your jealous of their career, then apply to be tube driver.
I'm not, I wouldn't take the pay cut. I didn't realise you'd go to the childish 'If you're jealous' arguments so quickly though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
That last paragraph could be applied to a dozen other professions I don't see the need to single out tube drivers
They are already hugely overpaid and work in a public sector that's seeing cuts, pension changes and pay freezes. That's the simple reason to single them out, they're getting special treatment which is entirely undeserved.
Old 06-10-2011, 16:49   #28
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
As previously noted it's a monopoly, not a free market position.
As I said the LU are free to refute their pay demands at any time.

Quote:
Why would we want one? 'Leveraging your position in a free market economy is fundamental to potential success or potential failure' after all. Companies with monopolies overcharging is purely leveraging their position surely?
Companies leverage their position all the time, how do you think Tesco got to be so successful, they leverage their position as the largest supermarket to screw their suppliers, and potential suppliers, into the ground.

Anyway we're talking about manpower and workforce.

Quote:
Spoken like someone with no idea what they're talking about. Come down to London during a tube strike.
I'm in London once a week, never during a tube strike though

doesn't that prove how vital they are though? They may not be highly skilled operatives but they keep the capital city moving.

Quote:
I'm not, I wouldn't take the pay cut. I didn't realise you'd go to the childish 'If you're jealous' arguments so quickly though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
I'm not being childish, just wondering why you object to this so much.

Quote:
They are already hugely overpaid
According to who?
Quote:
and work in a public sector that's seeing cuts, pension changes and pay freezes. That's the simple reason to single them out, they're getting special treatment which is entirely undeserved.
Unlike most other public sector positions they have a direct impact on the economy of the capital and to some extent the whole country - you could probably justify their money just on the maths of that.

If you're not happy with the current system you could always privatise the tube?
Old 14-12-2011, 14:56   #29
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Tube drivers to strike on Boxing Day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16174789

Quote:
Tube drivers will hold strikes on four days, including Boxing Day, in a row over pay, a drivers' union has said.

Aslef balloted its 2,200 members over demands for triple pay and a day off lieu for working on the bank holiday.

Staff will walk out for 24 hours on Boxing Day, 16 January, 3 and 13 February. Aslef said 92% voted to take industrial action.

London Underground (LU) said it had asked the union to abandon its strike threat over "an outrageous pay claim".

Services were severely disrupted last year when drivers walked out on Boxing Day after talks collapsed.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 15:31   #30
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Greedy sods.

Time for an complete extension of the driverless automatic Dockland Light Railway, and that shower on the dole.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote