Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Astraweb newsgroup problems anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Cable Modems:Do they have to connect to a PC Directly?

Old 03-01-2006, 19:24   #1
GWAR
Inactive

GWAR is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cable Modems:Do they have to connect to a PC Directly?

Hi All.

Can anybody help me with this one?

I'm currently thinking of getting NTL Broadband but heres my issue: The cable enters my flat at the front of the house. But my computer is at the back of my house and I dont wait to trail cable through to the back. I've had Telewest broadband in the past and the cable modem plugged straight into my PC.

My Question is if I get a NTL Cable installed modem, can I plug my Belkin wireless access point into the cable modem and send wirless to my PC in the backroom, or do cables modems needs to be plugged directly into a PC?

I wish to just add the access point to the cable modem without any wired connection to my computer which is in a different room. i know this set-up can be done using bt based services using a modem/router, but it it possible for NTL.

Any advice will be great, as its currently the only stopper.

Many Thanks
GWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2006, 19:26   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cable Modems:Do they have to connect to a PC Directly?

Hi, and to the forums.

The modem can be linked to a router or access point but they have to be designed for use with cable modems, so you need to check it is not designed for ADSL modems.
Then just connect it up and set up security on your wireless connection.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 19:27   #3
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAR
My Question is if I get a NTL Cable installed modem, can I plug my Belkin wireless access point into the cable modem and send wirless to my PC in the backroom, or do cables modems needs to be plugged directly into a PC?
No - the Belkin WAP won't work like that.

But, if you get yourself a Cable Modem/Router with wireless, then your cable connection comes in, connects to the router and then you simply connect to the router through wireless.
Old 03-01-2006, 19:39   #4
GWAR
Inactive

GWAR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Am I correct in thinking that I want to plug a router/access point directly into the cable modem supplied by NTL?

Any hints as to what are the best products?

THanks so much once more
GWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 19:51   #5
SLM
Inactive

SLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud of

Was the TW modem a dial up or broadband modem?....was it silver? If you had a BB modem it should work on a ntl modem. You will have to get a cable wireless router (I think ntl do them for about £100) if it is an ADSL router.
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 20:10   #6
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
No - the Belkin WAP won't work like that.
You sure? I would have thought it would work OK, just like a hub, i.e. you can only use it to link ONE PC to the modem, not like a router which would allow many PCs.
Old 03-01-2006, 20:11   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

An Access Point will be fine, but will only link one PC as JohnHorb says
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 20:47   #8
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

An Access Point on its own won't work, because it needs an IP address - which it will request via the Cable Modem. As only one IP address is allowed per Cable Modem, that leaves nothing for the PC!
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 21:01   #9
Loz Herbert
Inactive

Loz Herbert is an unknown quantity at this point

An Access Point will work... I've used the same configuration in the past with a USR8054 in simple access point mode.

I can't remember the full details off the top of my head but this is how it should work...

The Access Point gets its IP address from the DHCP server on the local network. When I had this setup, I used a Linux box with two nics as the router and DHCP server but you can do this with any router.

The Access Point and all PCs connected to the router will obtain private IP addresses which are NAT'd through the router and hence shares the internet connection.

The wireless link was essentially transparent and it worked really well.

HTH... It probably depends on your kit but it worked well with the USR.
Loz Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 21:21   #10
quadplay
Inactive

quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Yes, Access Points will work with ntl Broadband - however, you also need a router (or PC acting as a router). The OP seems to be asking if he can plug his existing Access Point directly into the Cable Modem, which won't work for the reason I stated above.
Old 03-01-2006, 21:28   #11
JohnHorb

Have to disagree here. AFAIK an access point is just the wireless equivalent of a hub. I.e. it won't request an IP itself - the PC wil request an IP THROUGH the WAP, so it WILL work, but only with one PC, as the modem will only provide ONE IP. (Pleae correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 03-01-2006, 21:33   #12
quadplay
Inactive

All the access points I've used needed an IP address for configuration (to tell them which SSID to use, and so on). This can be set manually on most models, and therefore not requested using DHCP via the Ethernet port (which would be connected to the Cable Modem), but this is not usually default behaviour - and is quite fiddly sometimes.
Old 03-01-2006, 21:39   #13
JohnHorb

Ah! configuration - hadn't thought of that. Could indeed be a problem, unless use a separate wired connection to the WAP just for configuration. Would be fiddly though, as you'd presumably have to give the WAP and PC wired NIC fixed IPs in the same sub-net.
Old 03-01-2006, 21:50   #14
quadplay
Inactive

Yep, so can be done, but...

Overall, a non-DSL wireless router is by far the best solution.
Old 03-01-2006, 23:22   #15
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

If you already have a wireless access point, then add a wired router and connect the access point to the router.

Mind you, ebuyer do a Buffalo wireles router - they list the ethernet ported ones as "cable/DSL" and the others as "ADSL/modem" routers for about 30 quid.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=86569

That's a MAD price for a wireless router, though the web config is apparently not great if your requirements go beyond the basic.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote