Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | nightmare non install

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Moving from Sky to Virgin

Old 30-12-2011, 14:09   #1
mmace
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB XXL
mmace is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving from Sky to Virgin

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I couldn't find the appropriate forum here or on the official VM forums

I'm thinking about moving Sky TV/Phone/Broadband to Virgin
1) Do I order Virgin first and then cancel Sky?
I'm wanting to do it with minimum downtime for broadband/TV
what's the best way to do this?

2) any deals around for Virgin?
I currently pay £62 a month, that's phone line rental, free evening and weekend calls, unlimited broadband, TV (all "Sky World" channels [all except sport and movies]) and HD
If I look on Virgin it's a couple of quid more with 30Mb broadband and TiVo box (500Gb), would prefer it cheaper if possible. Would go 10Mb BB but I know I will probably go over their limits on an evening and have speed reduced to 25% which is why I'd want 30Mb as I'd still be getting 7.5Mb which is what I'm on now with Sky

any help appreciated
mmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2011, 14:12   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving from Sky to Virgin

Welcome to the forum, I've moved your post to the installation forum where you should get better answers
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:18   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Order Virgin first then cancel Sky after the install as there is always the risk that there may be a problem installing the cable.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:36   #4
mmace
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Order Virgin first then cancel Sky after the install as there is always the risk that there may be a problem installing the cable.
I was hoping to avoid paying both but think this may be best as there's only the line rental for 3 months with Virgin I suppose
Old 30-12-2011, 23:08   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

What speed are you getting out of Sky broadband?
VM have Tivo and TV ctachup, VOD to your TV that doesn't use broadband quota, and broadband speed that is not dependent on your distance from the exchange.

Sky say and do unlimited, and have channels that VM don't

Unless your BB speed with Sky is unsatisfactory, you may be better off where you are.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:08   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
What speed are you getting out of Sky broadband?
VM have Tivo and TV ctachup, VOD to your TV that doesn't use broadband quota, and broadband speed that is not dependent on your distance from the exchange.

Sky say and do unlimited, and have channels that VM don't

Unless your BB speed with Sky is unsatisfactory, you may be better off where you are.
I would echo that sentiment , it's worth also mentioning that Sky are believed to be ready to announce a Fibre product sometime in 2012 although it's not been 100% confirmed.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57   #7
mmace
Inactive

cheers guys. I only get around 4Mbps with Sky which isn't good!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06   #8
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Ah. Is that expected according to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
If you're doing a lot worse than expected, maybe a bell wire breaker (I-plate) could improve things, if you have extension wiring.

And have a good check for any missing microfilters - the base unit of a cordless set is one I've seen forgotten, also answering machine, extra bell, dialup modem - and, of course, Sky box.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 02:01   #9
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace View Post
2) any deals around for Virgin?
I currently pay £62 a month, that's phone line rental, free evening and weekend calls, unlimited broadband, TV (all "Sky World" channels [all except sport and movies]) and HD
If I look on Virgin it's a couple of quid more with 30Mb broadband and TiVo box (500Gb), would prefer it cheaper if possible. Would go 10Mb BB but I know I will probably go over their limits on an evening and have speed reduced to 25% which is why I'd want 30Mb as I'd still be getting 7.5Mb which is what I'm on now with Sky.
You should only be paying £55 for that so £7 must be phone calls on top, right? Remember that you'll still have this on top of your virgin bill too.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote