Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

Old 23-11-2011, 13:01   #16
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

Some interesting responses... I'd like to go back and edit the original post but due to the way this forum is set up the edit option isn't there any more.

I did some more tinkering with the USB keyboard feature, and found the following.

POSITIVE CHANGES
  • USB Keyboards now working.
    • Keymap is as follows:
      • Esc = CLEAR
      • F1 = Home Screen/toggle to My Shows if on Home Screen
      • F2 = TV
      • F3 = Guide (EPG)
      • F4 = CLEAR
      • F5 = Thumbs Up
      • F6 = Thumbs Down
      • F7 = Channel Up
      • F8 = Channel Down
      • F9 = Record
      • F10 = Info
      • F11 = Home Screen (Old style TiVo SD menus)
      • Backspace = Delete (only when typing)
      • Both Enter Keys = OK
      • Pause Break = Play/Pause
      • Cursor Left = Left/Back
      • Cursor Right = Right/OK
      • Cursor Up = Up
      • Cursor Down = Down
      • Main Keyboard Numbers/Numpad = 0-9
      • Keyboard Letters = Work for searching in HD and SD TiVo menus, including within new YouTube app, but not within the old one or the iPlayer app.
    • Sadly keys like Insert, Delete and Home don't do anything, and there is no way to control rewind/fast-forward/stop/slow or colour button/last channel/subtitles functions, so it's not a full replacement for the remote.
    • USB keyboard can power up the TiVo if it's on standby (use F1 or F2), but can't power it down.
    • Media keys on certain keyboards appear to have no effect.
    • Using modifiers (Shift/Ctrl/Alt) appears to have no effect, although on Esc - F4 nothing happens suggesting that once they might have done something.
    • Be careful with the two clear buttons, especially when in My Shows!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2011, 14:20   #17
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Cool. USB keyboard does work. Makes YouTube searching so much easier. Now just need full internet access
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:44   #18
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

A browser on the TiVo? That would be great, although USB mouse support would need to be added. Can't imagine it'd be impossible though: after all, it already has Flash support and a fairly powerful system-on-chip processor. Perhaps in a year or so, if the apps idea really takes off!
Old 23-11-2011, 15:21   #19
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

It's a lot quicker and one of the best updates is that when you have set a recording as a series link as we do but you happen to be watching the channel live, it used to go blank for about 2 seconds and you lost that audio and missed that part of the programme.

Now instead, it flickers a bit, but you can hear the audio and it's much smoother and no black screen for ages.

It still does that stupid thing where you push my shows and it takes you there, then goes off and re loads the screen.

But on the whole good.

The next update needs to change it so you can set the default series link settings.

1min early, 4 late, new and re-runs, until space needed and 10 eps is not ideal.

2mins early, 2 late, new only, until i delete and unlimited number is best settings.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:28   #20
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Yeah I would agree, being able to set default padding in a Settings menu of some kind would be great, even if the option itself is hard to get to.

The speed increase I'm curious about... considering they've added more features and the firmware itself is much the same apart from that, I wonder if that second core has been enabled on the Tegra 2 chip.
Old 23-11-2011, 15:40   #21
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

There was really no excuse for how sluggish it was. It is as fast as you would expect and it needs to be now. I don't know how they did it but it was required.

As for reminders. I have no great desire for them. I have never used them, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to TV and know when everything is on from memory.

1 thing that would be good is some form of auto view feature like on sky. Where you can set it to change channel at certain times. I used to do this on sky where you could watch tv upstairs via the RF out on one channel and get it to change to something you want to wake up to.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:29   #22
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Ok so now iam a bit scared after reading most of the posts on here i havent had my tivo up date yet and it should be tomorrow morning now iam a bit worried.

Even though i cant do anything about it.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 17:52   #23
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Ok so now iam a bit scared after reading most of the posts on here i havent had my tivo up date yet and it should be tomorrow morning now iam a bit worried.

Even though i cant do anything about it.
Nothing to worry about windy.. you'll be fine
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 18:08   #24
windy
Inactive

windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Nothing to worry about windy.. you'll be fine
Time will tell....but lets hope.

Can i put a Ethernet cable from the tivo box to my virgin hub after tonight and if so what will it do and make my experience a " a better place to live" ..see what i done there.
Old 23-11-2011, 18:15   #25
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

A little something extra:

POWER DOWN FROM USB KEYBOARD
  • Press F11
  • Go to help and settings
  • Choose standby

Easy! And as mentioned, F1 or F2 to power back on.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Can i put a Ethernet cable from the tivo box to my virgin hub after tonight and if so what will it do and make my experience a " a better place to live" ..see what i done there.
Did mine before the update so it was all ready to go the next morning. You will need to enable some network settings in order to control it via Android TiVo Commander or iOS Peanut apps though.

STILL TO FIX/ADD
  • More controls for USB keyboard.
    • Most users won't need this, but being able to choose the various levels of rew/ff and do colour button fuctions would be a bonus so the TiVo can be controlled entirely by keyboard.
    • Very unlikely to see this, as brilliant as it would be.
  • Some kind of internet browser.
    • A real long shot this one, but something that would make the TiVo more of the entertainment hub Neil Berkett and Cindy Rose want it to be.
    • Obviously adding a browser also means adding USB mouse support!
  • Random crashes/reboots/teething problems.
    • A lot of users here and on VM Community are reporting a large amount of crashes, freezes and reboots rendering their boxes useless. This needs immediate attention.
Old 23-11-2011, 18:27   #26
windy
Inactive

I take it you do the network setting after the update will look in the android market for tivo.
Thanks.

May need your help again.
Old 24-11-2011, 06:40   #27
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

Just had the update and was wondering is there a step by step guide to setting up the ethernet connection. I've got a 50 meg superhub also tried downloading the tivo commander from Android market and I'm getting a download error if anyone knows something about this as well.
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 07:53   #28
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I can't see us getting an internet browser anytime soon. Seeing as it is all flash enabled, you'd suddenly be able to use your Tivo to stream illegal content straight to your TV-live football, for example-all on a dedicated 10 mb broadband connection. Given that Virgin carry most of the channels people would want to find by other means I think this is the least likely update. As good as it would be to have for legitimate reasons.

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

PS, I've been updated now-looking forward to a play once everyone's gone to school and I can get away with interrupting Fireman Sam!
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 08:05   #29
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l just have checked my Tivo since last night's update and there is definitely a smoother quicker feel to things on there and l am just checking out where the other improvements are and recording a series link is certainly much easier.
Old 24-11-2011, 08:09   #30
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The first thing that is a bit cheeky in my opinion is that "info"from the mini guide is really just "recording options" which you used to be able to, and still can, get by pressing "OK".
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote