Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 20-04-2011, 21:24   #16
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: Reminders on TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo?
Hmmm… Let's see why people would want a VM TiVo if they still want the option to watch live TV shall we?

1TB hard disk compared to the V+ 160GB hard disk
HD UI compared to the 4:3 SD UI of the V+ box
TiVo apps
14 day EPG
Suggestions

Not exactly rocket science, is it?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 21:32   #17
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
You must be one of the very few people who do not watch TV live. .
There's another one here!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:38   #18
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo?
You're clearly not a sports fan Carl!
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:45   #19
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Replying in this thread as it'll be on topic here:

Quote:
Yes there is. The "change channel at start" bit. Or do reminders not do that anymore?
How is the "change channel at start" duplicated when you set a recording it WILL NOT ask you to change channel at the start unless all the tuners are already in use. It will just sit there recording it in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
If you don't want to watch live tv, why the heck do you waste money on a TV sub?
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:45   #20
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
You're clearly not a sports fan Carl!
+1

Sports fans love watching sport LIVE, its one of the reasons that makes watching sport so appealing.

No way would I watch a football game recorded (or even timeshifted) when I have the option to watch it live.

If England score a goal, I want to watch it as it happens, not 10 minutes ago or even 10 seconds ago.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:47   #21
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
+1

Sports fans love watching sport LIVE, its one of the reasons that makes watching sport so appealing.

No way would I watch a football game recorded (or even timeshifted) when I have the option to watch it live.
+1 exactly.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:50   #22
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If England score a goal, I want to watch it as it happens, not 10 minutes ago or even 10 seconds ago.
It happened 10 seconds ago when you're watching "live" anyway
Old 20-04-2011, 21:56   #23
HDFootyMan
Inactive

HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
It happened 10 seconds ago when you're watching "live" anyway
I was counting the seconds until someone brought up the transmission delay. ... I guess it would be 10 seconds ago for HD (unless its ITV HD in which case I wouldn't see the goal anyway! ) and less for SD.

I want to watch it as close to live as possible, how's that?

There was a great article at Media Guardian (I think) going on about how Twitter has made Live TV popular again. I remember watching the final of the Apprentice while watching 'live' reactions from viewers watching it. Good stuff, in an interactive sort of way.
Old 20-04-2011, 21:58   #24
VirginMediaPhil
cf.addict

Services: 2x TiVo
VirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was counting the seconds until someone brought up the transmission delay.

There was a great article at Media Guardian (I think) going on about how Twitter has made Live TV popular again. I remember watching the final of the Apprentice while watching 'live' reactions from viewers watching it. Good stuff, in an interactive sort of way.
This is off-topic, but that was my first series of The Apprentice, and it was brilliant!
VirginMediaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:00   #25
TheDon
Inactive

Quote:
I was counting the seconds until someone brought up the transmission delay. ... I guess it would be 10 seconds ago for HD (unless its ITV HD in which case I wouldn't see the goal anyway! ) and less for SD.

Aye, there should be an app that overlays on the TV giving live social commentry of the shows you're watching. It'd be awesome (but sky wouldn't let you use it on their channels)
Old 20-04-2011, 22:05   #26
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil View Post
This is off-topic, but that was my first series of The Apprentice, and it was brilliant!
Great, isn't it?

I previously recorded it and watched it the next day, but I found it that its far too easy to get 'spoiled' on who got fired, like the day I was listening to the radio in the car and out of nowhere:

DJ Number 1: "See the Apprentice last night?!"
DJ Number 2: "Yeah, so glad whathisname got fired!"
Me: AGGGRRHHHHHHHH!!!

Some websites (Digital Spy for instance) have no hesitation whatsoever about splashing the result on multiple pages on their site. I can't say I blame them to be honest, but with a show as popular as that its very hard not to get spoiled.

Even workmates discuss what happened and who got fired the morning after. What am I supposed to do? Tell them, "erm, guys, my new next-generation PVR can't do reminders and I was advised to record everything and I haven't seen it yet, so shut up now please? Thanks!"
Old 20-04-2011, 22:07   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Same always happens to me with footy , a mate texts me making some comment on an incident , so it kind of makes watching it after a big no no.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:14   #28
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Aye, there should be an app that overlays on the TV giving live social commentry of the shows you're watching. It'd be awesome (but sky wouldn't let you use it on their channels)
Yes, it would be awesome. I fully expect (or, hope) that the Twitter app gets upgraded to that point, so its smart enough to look for trending topics related for the show you're watching and it overlays as you say. The installer for my TiVo even mentioned that VM will be bringing out the slide controller soon with the keyboard, would be ideal for Twitter.

And yes, Sky would block it on their channels. Petty beyond belief if the mini-TV window is any indication.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Same always happens to me with footy , a mate texts me making some comment on an incident , so it kind of makes watching it after a big no no.
You almost have to impose a total comms blackout. No telly, phone off hook, no internet, no visitors.

Knowing my luck, someone would walk past my house saying something like, "2-1 to England, what a great game!"
Old 20-04-2011, 22:17   #29
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Hmmm… Let's see why people would want a VM TiVo if they still want the option to watch live TV shall we?

1TB hard disk compared to the V+ 160GB hard disk
HD UI compared to the 4:3 SD UI of the V+ box
TiVo apps
14 day EPG
Suggestions

Not exactly rocket science, is it?
4:3 SD UI? My Samsung V+ Menus are in HD and 1080i to my knowledge?
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:19   #30
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
4:3 SD UI? My Samsung V+ Menus are in HD and 1080i to my knowledge?
When watching a widescreen channel the V+ just stretches the 4:3 UI to fit the screen. There's no extra information there.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote