Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 17:23   #46
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think 'the masses' would like it; it's a case of how well the functionality is explained to them so that they understand how usefull it is.

I'm not sure how well that will be done though.
VM know they need to "educate" a few customers on the many extra benefits and features of TiVo... the upcoming ad campaign later this year may well have this.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 17:39   #47
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
In the mean time can I recommend TV Guide for the iPad, really great. All it needs is to show the channel numbers too and it would be perfect.
And search EPG function. It's sorely lacking without that. FindMeTv has search EPG, but has other problems, and terrible support.

In short there is no complete TV guide app on iOS, and I really hope the TiVo one hits the spot.

Boz
Old 04-04-2011, 17:41   #48
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
VM know they need to "educate" a few customers on the many extra benefits and features of TiVo... the upcoming ad campaign later this year may well have this.
What worries me about the promotional team at VM, is that I've read two recent reviews of Tivo (one was What HI-FI) where they described the recording functionality as the same as the V+, i.e. record two and watch a third. If I was sending the Tivo out for Review, I'd make sure these reviewers were aware of one of the massive feature advantages over V+ and Sky in that Tivo records on all three channels. What other Tivo features are the not emphasising?
Old 04-04-2011, 17:45   #49
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

So this "baby TiVo"... What do we know? Same features, smaller drive, out late spring, to be announced on 11 April, possibly £50 to existing customers...

Well, it's enough to put even me off taking the £150 1TB model on launch day knowing something cheaper is coming so soon, and I was dead set on signing up on day 1. Oops.
Old 04-04-2011, 17:47   #50
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
So this "baby TiVo"... What do we know? Same features, smaller drive, out late spring, to be announced on 11 April, possibly £50 to existing customers...

Well, it's enough to put even me off taking the £150 1TB model on launch day knowing something cheaper is coming so soon, and I was dead set on signing up on day 1. Oops.
That will defo arrive sharpish to bring their offerings in line with Sky.
Old 04-04-2011, 17:47   #51
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Depends if you record a lot of HD and need the space I guess... VM will be happy if you choose either TBH... they want everyone on TiVo
Old 04-04-2011, 17:49   #52
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

On the positive side, that's less of an install cue for us 1TB hard disc space junkies.
Old 04-04-2011, 17:51   #53
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Depends if you record a lot of HD and need the space I guess... VM will be happy if you choose either TBH... they want everyone on TiVo
Will the record time with mpeg 2 on 500gb be around 60 hrs HD around half the TIVO 1 TB ?
Old 04-04-2011, 17:54   #54
DaBoz
Inactive

Quote:
On the positive side, that's less of an install que for us 1TB hard disc space junkies.
It's knowing I'm being ripped off for the cost of a HDD. I'd happily have 500mb more space, but paying £100 more!?! Thats almost as much a rip off as Sky's.

Of coure, speculation at mo... Will wait for announcement
Old 04-04-2011, 17:56   #55
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
On the positive side, that's less of an install que for us 1TB hard disc space junkies.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:
It's knowing I'm being ripped off for the cost of a HDD. I'd happily have 500mb more space, but paying £100 more!?! Thats almost as much a rip off as Sky's.

Of coure, speculation at mo... Will wait for announcement
Good idea... I'll advise the bosses to up the price of the Baby TiVo*

* this is not it's name, I made that bit up
Old 04-04-2011, 18:01   #56
DaBoz
Inactive

Quote:
Good idea... I'll advise the bosses to up the price of the Baby TiVo*
* this is not it's name, I made that bit up
I can see Media Boy blog's headline "Cable Forum's Digital Fanatic announces new Virgin Media Baby TiVo for not much less than the standard TiVo"...
Old 04-04-2011, 18:02   #57
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
I can see Media Boy blog's headline "Cable Forum's Digital Fanatic announces new Virgin Media Baby TiVo for not much less than the standard TiVo"...
Old 04-04-2011, 18:05   #58
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
That was my reaction when the rumours of the price first circualted; I couldn't understand the price differential based on the actual cost of the drives. But then I had to face the fact that the increased charge for the 1TB is an 'extra functionality' charge.

As you say, Sky do it, as the normal HD drive cost is way lower than the 1TB one.
Old 04-04-2011, 18:09   #59
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK.
Or search for programmes you aren't aware of at all. For example, I have wishlists set up for bands I like. I don't need to know the names of the programmes - it records them anyway.
Old 04-04-2011, 18:10   #60
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Or search for programmes you aren't aware of at all. For example, I have wishlists set up for bands I like. I don't need to know the names of the programmes - it records them anyway.
Hope it's not Westlife and Bros LOL
Closed Thread