Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2011, 13:55   #5416
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
I know.

Ken said there was a update in october and he was right he also said there would be update in November. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post3108.html
I think there are the same update. I think November is when the Tivo update will be fully rolled out.
Yeah no offence to Ken but I thinks he's just guessing.
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2011, 14:00   #5417
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Yeah no offence to Ken but I thinks he's just guessing.
He said Sky Anytime would launch now and he was also right.
Old 18-10-2011, 14:37   #5418
clinteastman
Inactive

clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
He said Sky Anytime would launch now and he was also right.
Same again.

Also you might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Old 18-10-2011, 17:25   #5419
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Virgin Media have said in the event if a recording clash with the new default, it is the padding which will be clipped.
Having got the new software I can confirm that this is now the case. It happened to me the other day when I was setting three programmes to record at the same time, and the padding of a previous programme had got in the way. It popped up a window stating the details of the programme which would be clipped.

--John
Old 18-10-2011, 17:34   #5420
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Is this true ?
Quote:
If I go to YouTube via My Shows the app is the new useless one but if I visit it via Apps & Games it's the previous version.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../786215/page/2
Old 18-10-2011, 18:33   #5421
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
No reason why not.
Old 18-10-2011, 19:17   #5422
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Dose anyone know if the TiVo apps will be getting a web search like Google, Yahoo or live?
Old 18-10-2011, 19:53   #5423
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
Dose anyone know if the TiVo apps will be getting a web search like Google, Yahoo or live?
Why would they? Its a PVR, not a web browser.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHM View Post
Having got the new software I can confirm that this is now the case. It happened to me the other day when I was setting three programmes to record at the same time, and the padding of a previous programme had got in the way. It popped up a window stating the details of the programme which would be clipped.

--John
So, does it now use 1 tuner to record back-to-back programmes on the same channel?
Old 18-10-2011, 20:20   #5424
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Why would they? Its a PVR, not a web browser.[COLOR="Silver"]
IMOP and i think possibly virgin media and some other major technology companies are trying to gray the line between the old school PC and the home TV.

So yes a web browser with the ability to search would aid this and give Virgin Media a boots over rials like Sky
Old 18-10-2011, 20:26   #5425
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
Why would they? Its a PVR, not a web browser.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

So, does it now use 1 tuner to record back-to-back programmes on the same channel?
Once the padding has been trimmed it's up to the TiVo to decide. If it needs to it will.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Quote:
IMOP and i think possibly virgin media and some other major technology companies are trying to gray the line between the old school PC and the home TV.

So yes a web browser with the ability to search would aid this and give Virgin Media a boots over rials like Sky
It's no small job providing TiVo with modern HTML interpreter and renderer. Of course they could use something like webkit but it quite a job AKAIK.
Old 18-10-2011, 20:42   #5426
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:

They said that about Google TV. Look what's happened there.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
Once the padding has been trimmed it's up to the TiVo to decide. If it needs to it will.
I'll take that as a 'maybe'
Old 18-10-2011, 20:44   #5427
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
I'll take that as a 'maybe'
No comment.
Old 18-10-2011, 20:45   #5428
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

How will they do this could they Scrap the £3 per month for Tivo ?
Quote:
All of the company's cable TV customers will have been upgraded to the TiVo service within the next four to five years, Mr Berkett added.
http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-m...ood-800760492/
Old 18-10-2011, 20:53   #5429
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
How will they do this could they Scrap the £3 per month for Tivo ?

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-m...ood-800760492/
It will get built into the package price by then I guess.
Old 18-10-2011, 20:54   #5430
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
It will get built into the package price by then I guess.
Quote:
By the end of July, around 50,000 of Virgin Media's 4.8 million cable customers had moved onto TiVo—which brings together video-on-demand, catch-up content, Internet-based applications and games—with the number continuing to climb, Mr. Berkett says. He declined to give specific figures ahead of the company's third-quarter results on Oct. 27.

"It's doing very well," he says. "The response has been better than good; I'm very, very pleased. The level of advocacy for the product is something that I haven't experienced before, virtually in any role I've ever had. People who have it absolutely love it; it's a new way to watch television," Mr. Berkett adds, noting that more than a quarter of the viewing TiVo customers is done through searching and browsing TiVo's menu, rather than by scrolling through channels in the traditional way.

Mr. Berkett expects all of Virgin Media's cable customers to be on TiVo over the next four or five years, but he declines to give any short-term guidance. And over time, TiVo will be available to Virgin Media customers on their on PCs, iPhones, iPads and Android devices, he adds.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...987479026.html
Closed Thread