Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2011, 13:47   #5371
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Thanks for the info, will probably wait for the latest software update before making a decision on weather to get TiVo!
You will have no regrets.
Old 16-10-2011, 14:42   #5372
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You will have no regrets.
Maybe one? Why did I not get one sooner?
Old 16-10-2011, 15:56   #5373
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
@virginmedia Will the BBC and Sky Sports red button be activated once the Tivo update has been fully rolled out http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...er/td-p/774391
Quote:
@buddieboy2011 It's definitely planned and we're hoping the BBC function should be added by the next update. Sky Sports we've not heard out yet. KD
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/virginmedia/~hFhtH
Old 16-10-2011, 16:02   #5374
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
l thought you said that you had stopped asking questions to Virgin but l suppose a leopard never changes his spots.
Old 16-10-2011, 16:03   #5375
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l thought you said that you had stopped asking questions to Virgin but l suppose a leopard never changes his spots.
I have stopped asking questions about channels on Twitter and Facebook and i have completely stopped emailing the Ceo Office.
Old 16-10-2011, 18:46   #5376
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
On series linking, I have been using 1 minute and four minutes for awhile and not had a single recording hiccup and so I'll be pleased when thats the default and I don't have to set it up for each series(try it and see for yourself). If that default does not work for you then the old way is just one extra button press away, hardly a farse. On Youtube I can't comment. I doubt upscaling would be worse, but again can't comment on that.

Regards

John
I use those settings as well but get a “hiccup” around once a month when the padding overlap of back to back recording along with another recording means I have to decide to not watch live TV (this not being one of the channels being recorded), watch a channel being recorded (spoils the programme if still on), watch something else recorded, or leave the room/turn TV off!

Having a default padding is good IMHO for its primary purpose of providing a convenient approach to make sure you catch the whole of a planned programme when the actual schedule is not in exact alignment with the EPG schedule.

I have sympathy with those who want the actual settings for default padding to be user defined.

But the real short term issue is not eliminating 2 tuners having to be used for back to back recordings on the same channel. VM really should have done this as part of the default padding implementation to minimise the risk of clipping.

I would have gone further the removed padding across any channel for back to back recording which would use up 3 tuners but that is my view. Just getting it on the same channel would have been enough to make the chance of clipping so small to be insignificant.

A missed opportunity to get it right in my view along with user defined default padding. I hope VM will take note and “enhance” this feature in future updates.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:12   #5377
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
I can confirm that the american style remote control with the slide out QWERTY keyboard, will launch before the end of this year.
The remotes will automatically be sent out to all TiVo customers at no cost.
A QWERTY keyboard is great and even greater free.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:23   #5378
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
I use those settings as well but get a “hiccup” around once a month when the padding overlap of back to back recording along with another recording means I have to decide to not watch live TV (this not being one of the channels being recorded), watch a channel being recorded (spoils the programme if still on), watch something else recorded, or leave the room/turn TV off!

Having a default padding is good IMHO for its primary purpose of providing a convenient approach to make sure you catch the whole of a planned programme when the actual schedule is not in exact alignment with the EPG schedule.

I have sympathy with those who want the actual settings for default padding to be user defined.

But the real short term issue is not eliminating 2 tuners having to be used for back to back recordings on the same channel. VM really should have done this as part of the default padding implementation to minimise the risk of clipping.

I would have gone further the removed padding across any channel for back to back recording which would use up 3 tuners but that is my view. Just getting it on the same channel would have been enough to make the chance of clipping so small to be insignificant.

A missed opportunity to get it right in my view along with user defined default padding. I hope VM will take note and “enhance” this feature in future updates.
Virgin Media have said in the event if a recording clash with the new default, it is the padding which will be clipped.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:24   #5379
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Is the problem with the HDMI not being recognised still continuing?
Old 16-10-2011, 19:40   #5380
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Virgin Media have said in the event if a recording clash with the new default, it is the padding which will be clipped.
Well that is excellent then as will avoid the problem I mentioned. I wonder if those who have complained about the default padding in the new release are aware of this since this is what V+ would do?
Old 16-10-2011, 19:48   #5381
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Are you talking about this ?
Quote:
In instances where padding causes a clash the padding will be clipped, not the start of the subsequent recording.

It will clip the padding from the programme of lowest priority. So if you know that one channel is more likely to air off-schedule then set recordings for that channel at a higher priority.
Nick Ontiveros
TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../774663/page/3
Old 16-10-2011, 20:29   #5382
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Yes. That's a miserable forum, eh?
Old 17-10-2011, 00:36   #5383
CherryHintonBlu
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, Virgin Media 100Mb+ internet
CherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enoughCherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enoughCherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enough

I seem to have the update (Cambridge). Flicking around the menus seems to be a bit crisper, although it may be a figment of my imagination, and it's not as snappy as my old Sky+ HD box. If I go to "Help & Settings" > "System Info" there's an option there for "Multi Room Streaming"...

http://t.co/5abkZR5b

As you can see, it suggests you go to the Help section for more information, but I can't find anything there, so maybe that's not written yet. I'd like to give it a go if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe I should just network the boxes and see what happens?

Anyone want me to try out anything specific, or want to see particular screen shots? Happy to oblige if so.
Old 17-10-2011, 00:40   #5384
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHintonBlu View Post
I seem to have the update (Cambridge). Flicking around the menus seems to be a bit crisper, although it may be a figment of my imagination, and it's not as snappy as my old Sky+ HD box. If I go to "Help & Settings" > "System Info" there's an option there for "Multi Room Streaming"...

http://t.co/5abkZR5b

As you can see, it suggests you go to the Help section for more information, but I can't find anything there, so maybe that's not written yet. I'd like to give it a go if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe I should just network the boxes and see what happens?

Anyone want me to try out anything specific, or want to see particular screen shots? Happy to oblige if so.
can you get a screen shots of this http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post5349.html , the completely revamped YouTube app , the Video Preview of the Sky Channels and Is the SD picture quality improved ?
Old 17-10-2011, 01:17   #5385
CherryHintonBlu
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, Virgin Media 100Mb+ internet
CherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enoughCherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enoughCherryHintonBlu will become famous soon enough

I'll admit I didn't use the YouTube app frequently, but it doesn't look any different to me. None of that auto-play stuff I've seen mentioned is happening here. http://t.co/bo5SaVa6

Here's the dialogue box which comes up when you hit record: http://t.co/szRBWVFF ...clicking OK on Express Series Link sends you back to the programme and doesn't require any further confirmation. When I tried it with a broadcast movie, I got a cutdown set of options - "Record this movie" and "Explore this show".

Here's the TV Guide going back into the past, with the channel names over on the right: http://t.co/VLiej7hd

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Hard to say if the SD picture is better, it certainly looks good but it always did. I haven't taken a picture of Sky channels showing in the mini preview, but I can assure you they work (watching SSN now).
Closed Thread