Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2011, 21:08   #4936
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Thanks for this, let's hope the crucial features include the 2 red button services (BBC and Sky Sports)
Unfortunately not. No red button services but lots more features. I will post the full list this Friday as I am only on my BlackBerry until then and cannot copy and paste my emailsm
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2011, 21:30   #4937
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Unfortunately not. No red button services but lots more features. I will post the full list this Friday as I am only on my BlackBerry until then and cannot copy and paste my emailsm
If you have got the BB 9800 Torch you can copy and paste
Old 19-09-2011, 21:47   #4938
ntlgood1
Inactive

ntlgood1 is an unknown quantity at this point

up coming tivo fixes.
Spoiler: 

Fixes
  • Improved 1080i up scaling so improving the picture quality.
  • HDMI connection reliability fixed
  • Info button now provides programme information in guide and mini guide
  • SCART aspect ratio corrected
Old 19-09-2011, 21:48   #4939
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Figured something out, might have come up before.

When using the full EPG in reverse to view shows there is no green button "play catchup now" option, however when using the mini EPG (OK in full-screen TV mode) in reverse, the green button can work BUT it has to be a show that aired more than roughly 2 hours ago, to allow for it to appear on iPlayer otherwise you just get bumped to the main Catch Up/On Demand menu because that stream doesn't exist yet therefore the link is broken.

Bear in mind, the mini EPG will allow three-digit entry to jump to a specific channel just like the full EPG but using <</>> won't make it jump back/foward one day unlike the full EPG.

---

Having done more homework on the roots of VM's TiVo (the US TiVo Premiere HD) I must say, it looks like at least some of the criticisms the box is getting are the result of the maker, not VM. It seems like VM's TiVo is slightly slicker than the original release Premiere HD, which is more than twice as sluggish by comparison.
Old 19-09-2011, 21:54   #4940
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

My mini EPG jumps back or forward a day with >> or <<.

I have never used the green button to play back something from catch didn't even know that was a option.
Old 19-09-2011, 21:57   #4941
ntlgood1
Inactive

New Features Coming to Tivo
Spoiler: 

Functionality
  • Express Series Link You can set your series links in a flash
  • Padding Automatic padding around the start and finish of new recordings and series links (doesn’t change existing series links)
  • Multi-tap text entry You can now search using the number buttons on your remote, just like texting on your mobile phone
  • More flexible parental control If you don’t want to be asked for your PIN when you’re playing a recording from My Shows, you can now switch it off!
  • Skippable playlists Full skipping functionality for Music On Demand playlists will be available
  • Live Events Great news! You can now buy a live event on your TiVo box
  • BBC iPlayer Full integration of all the content from the BBC iPlayer is now available in the TV Guide, the Catch Up & On Demand menus and in TiVo Search and Browse
  • PIN access on Apps You can now control access to Apps and Games
  • YouTube app The YouTube app has been given a whole new look with more videos than ever and now supports HD quality video
  • TiVo Buddy App Just after we launch the new code you’ll be able to download this great new tool from the Apple App Store. If you connect your wireless router to the TiVo box with a cable you’ll be able to control many features from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Watch this space for more info!

Old 19-09-2011, 22:06   #4942
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Seems point less if proves to be the case, if Virgin Media don't get their fingers out they'll end up losing TiVo customers never mind gaining them, the BBC Red button as a minimum should have been there from the start, every other provider can manage it so why not VM for there TiVo box?
Old 19-09-2011, 22:13   #4943
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

They could have but that would have meant delaying the product. I'd much rather we have TiVo minus red button then not at all. If red button services are that important hold of getting it.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:19   #4944
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Seems point less if proves to be the case, if Virgin Media don't get their fingers out they'll end up losing TiVo customers never mind gaining them, the BBC Red button as a minimum should have been there from the start, every other provider can manage it so why not VM for there TiVo box?
The majority of those fixes are essential though Multi tap entry , quicker series links , HDMI connection reliability fixed , better PQ will all improve the functionality of the box. Red button maybe added in further small releases.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:23   #4945
ntlgood1
Inactive

Here's my pennies worth. This update could very well have the building blocks needed for the red button services. However it is content providers like BBC, itv and sky to write their red button services just like they have done on the old software platform.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:23   #4946
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Bcfc,

As I've said in a separate post, the introduction of new features to TiVo planned for the second half of this year will not come all in a single update.

I just hope to set expectations because it seems that a rumour has been heavily perpetuated on this board that there is one all encompassing update to come. In actuality, there will be a large update, but other feature updates will follow very soon after this update (as their introduction had the update itself as a dependency).

Nick
Nick Ontiveros
TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M17402

Quote:
Hi,

Launch of BBC red button will be in the coming months. Thought that it wouldn't be fair to string you along, as it's not ready just yet.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../369143/page/4
Old 19-09-2011, 22:30   #4947
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I got an email today, as an employee, of the new TiVo update which has been confirmed to be released before Christmas. I will post full details soon but the universal recordings padding as well as other missing crucial features will be added.
Hope that includes cutting the padding off when have back to back recordings like V+ does.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:48   #4948
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Hope that includes cutting the padding off when have back to back recordings like V+ does.
As far as I can tell any padding and clipping will work exactly as it does now. The change is adding the ability to set your preference globally rather than per recording/series link
Old 19-09-2011, 22:56   #4949
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlgood1 View Post
New Features Coming to Tivo
[*]Padding Automatic padding around the start and finish of new recordings and series links (doesn’t change existing series links)
]

That had better be optional. And hopefully they've made padding work in the same way as the V+.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As far as I can tell any padding and clipping will work exactly as it does now. The change is adding the ability to set your preference globally rather than per recording/series link
Then they've failed to make the Tivo as good as the V+ in that aspect.
Old 19-09-2011, 23:04   #4950
zantarous

I certainly would not want padding to be handled like the V+, I don't want the end of a show to appear at the beginning of another recording thats just madness.
Closed Thread