Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 14:45   #1
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Please continue discussion of TiVo here please.

Original Thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-page-408.html
Old 04-04-2011, 14:48   #2
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The green remind me button is used when advertising a coming show , the Never Miss service is online and you can search series and movies , they then email you the week before with a link to set a remote record up. It's quite extensive a list with stuff way off.
I think what they are asking is can you get it to remind you of all Robert De Nero films or TV programs written by Russell T Davies?

PS. Sky Sports red button is useless to me, not a sports type.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:51   #3
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's quite extensive a list with stuff way off.
Wil it allow you to add titles that are currently shown in the US, but no UK broadcaster currently has the rights to broadcast yet?
Old 04-04-2011, 14:54   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I think what they are asking is can you get it to remind you of all Robert De Nero films or TV programs written by Russell T Davies?

PS. Sky Sports red button is useless to me, not a sports type.
No you can't as of yet here is the never miss service

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sky...mytv/nevermiss
Old 04-04-2011, 14:54   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It's swings and roundabouts. Personally, I don't think the green or red button would be any use to me.

The few times a year I watch Sky Sports, it's generally for a major sporting events and happens in the company of friends at a local pub.

As for the green button, I suppose that might be more useful, but TBH, I have season passes set on most of the series I watch regularly. The odd one off programme, I can either watch it or set it using the guide. OK, so the green button might save a few keypresses, but me finding a program is being shown, not watching and setting it to record is so rare that it really wouldn't save much time at all.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:55   #6
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Wil it allow you to add titles that are currently shown in the US, but no UK broadcaster currently has the rights to broadcast yet?
Can Tivo?

And why would it want to anyway if you cannot watch them. Genuine question as I cannot really see the point of that.

Unless I have misunderstood you.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:56   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Not sure of the timescale for stuff.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:58   #8
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's swings and roundabouts. Personally, I don't think the green or red button would be any use to me.

The few times a year I watch Sky Sports, it's generally for a major sporting events and happens in the company of friends at a local pub.

As for the green button, I suppose that might be more useful, but TBH, I have season passes set on most of the series I watch regularly. The odd one off programme, I can either watch it or set it using the guide. OK, so the green button might save a few keypresses, but me finding a program is being shown, not watching and setting it to record is so rare that it really wouldn't save much time at all.
Green button is a great feature and something I would guess Tivo could easily implement.

I have set several recordings based on the green button promo that I would probably never have noticed in the guide based on the synopsis. It was the video promo that sold it to me.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:01   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Can Tivo?

And why would it want to anyway if you cannot watch them. Genuine question as I cannot really see the point of that.

I suspect it's so he or she can set a reminder on a new series and be notified if it is scheduled over here. With hundreds of channels that could show something, it can be difficult to keep track of who has the rights to which programme.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:
Green button is a great feature and something I would guess Tivo could easily implement.

I have set several recordings based on the green button promo that I would probably never have noticed in the guide based on the synopsis.
That's just my point. Personally, assuming I see a programme advertised I want to see, I can look it up on the guide. In fact that is how I usually do things. Anything I record regularly enough, I set a season pass on.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:02   #10
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I don't know about Sky+, but Tivo is way better than V+ for series links. With V+, if a season took a break for a few weeks/months (common with Us shows), you'd probably have to set a new Series link when it returned --- another case of keeping an eye out for when it returns. With Tivo, once a series link is set, that's it and you can set if for new episodes only. I know there have been a few issues with the guide data, but they should get sorted.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:04   #11
Big-Ted
Inactive

Big-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud ofBig-Ted has much to be proud of

Quote:
Can Tivo?

Yes it can.

You can set up a wishlist with any words in it so you can add say the name of an actor or director or a show name like csi and it will record anything which match the criteria.

That way you can make sure you don't miss the new primeval series that are on either watch or itv as first runs.

Useful if you hear about a show that you think could be good but have no idea when it will broadcast here
Old 04-04-2011, 15:10   #12
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ted View Post
Yes it can.

You can set up a wishlist with any words in it so you can add say the name of an actor or director or a show name like csi and it will record anything which match the criteria.

That way you can make sure you don't miss the new primeval series that are on either watch or itv as first runs.

Useful if you hear about a show that you think could be good but have no idea when it will broadcast here
Agree TIVO has some good features and this is the main reason Sky are implementing these new services. TiVo is keeping Sky busy , with improving their user experience.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:17   #13
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ted View Post
Yes it can.

I see, I thought he meant if a new show dosen't broadcast here yet it would look for the content online which didn't seem likely. I get it now.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:17   #14
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Can Tivo?

The new season of US shows are announced around May time and the US start to broadcast around September/october. We often don't know if a UK broadcaster will pick up the rights, which broadcaster it will be and when they will show it. It's a case of monitoring the online sites as to if and when a US show will be broadcast in the UK.

Take for example, a show like Fringe; when it was first announced a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted to give it a try because it sounded interesting and was part created by JJ Abrams who, amongst other things, created Alias. It was a case of waiting to find out who would pick it up and when they would broadcast it ---- this information wasn't available until a few months after it had been announced.

As I understand it, you would have been able to enter 'Fringe' into the tivo wishlist and when the tivo guide came across a programme called Fringe, it would automatically record it. Tivo 'remembered' several months later, when I would most likely would have forgotten about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:22   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. Mersey may know is it all channels use the green remind me or just Skys own. I agree Passingbat the wishlist would pick the series up when it appeared on the EPG data automatically.
Closed Thread