Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are we still bothering with SD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are we still bothering with SD?

Old 05-11-2017, 21:20   #61
jj20x

Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
And alot of us DO NOT WANT or CARE ABOUT HD

I have always preferred SD ... Its beautiful and how stuff started...

CRTs are beautiful and in my opinion produce THE NICEST picture......
Gosh yes, especially the old 405 line monochrome versions. Such beautiful beasties. If only they still worked...

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The question for 2017 is how to facilitate the introduction of UHD channels. Should these be added to the EPG or would it make more sense to offer UHD content via streaming/on demand?

Why we should be focussing on scrapping older technologies before the population has had a chance to adapt, I really cannot fathom.
The trouble with linear UHD channels is that they take up a heck of a lot of bandwidth. Probably why there aren't many of them around and no great desire to introduce them. If space is to be released for these bandwidth hungry monsters, it might be time to start the process of removing the SD simulcast channels, if only to free up some space.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48   #62
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup
Agreed mate. Trolling .. well attempting too lol
Wrong..... Isnt trolling someone who wants to cause problems??

Im just stating my opinion.. I LIKE SD..... Im not trying to cause any problems (If you notice I put a in my message)

I dont have a probem with those who like HD......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:06   #63
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes, it is, but the answer is not to have an SD switch off at this stage.

Not only are there many people who cannot afford the cost of upgrading to HD ready equipment, but a lot of channels would be lost as a result - in fact almost all those channels which do not currently have an HD alternative
Good grief two old minds think alike for once.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:37   #64
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Need to get rid of some channels to free up bandwidth.

Start by getting rid of the myriad of +1 channels - never saw the point of them, if you want to watch 2 programmes at any one time record them, if you have missed something and realise it then use catch-up.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:02   #65
ottoni
cf.addict

ottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Start by getting rid of the myriad of +1 channels - never saw the point of them, if you want to watch 2 programmes at any one time record them, if you have missed something and realise it then use catch-up.
I think you're right, at one time the plus one channels served a good purpose before the advent of PVR's. Surely the bandwidth would be better used towards launching hd channels. It still amazes me that so many channels still haven't got an hd counterpart. So many channels have absolutely terrible SD quality, makes it painful to watch.
ottoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:59   #66
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoni View Post
So many channels have absolutely terrible SD quality, makes it painful to watch.
Our TV is a 6yr old Panasonic 37" Plasma. My wife only watches the Freeview stuff which I guess (cos I'm not bothered to check) is mainly SD quality?

On the few occasions I've glanced at the TV - usually to make snide comments about the program being shown - it looks pretty good viewing, and the wife & daughter have no complaints.

I'd take a wild guess though, that if we exchanged the TV for a 60" generic standard resolution piece of junk costing £299 the picture would be abysmal.

Not everyone understands that bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to TV's
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:16   #67
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
And alot of us DO NOT WANT or CARE ABOUT HD

I have always preferred SD ... Its beautiful and how stuff started...

CRTs are beautiful and in my opinion produce THE NICEST picture......
The best picture I ever saw was an HD Sony CRT (like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinit...-/272844629359 ).

Modern technologies don't, IMO, display colour as well as CRT. Plasma comes close, but it's not quite right.

Don't get me wrong, all the sets in my house now use LCD/LED displays, and all give excellent pictures, I just prefer the colour given by CRT.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:44   #68
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Until BARB figures show a significant decline in the +1 audience, the broadcasters will continue to operate them. Sure, the availability of multiple tuner PVRs and catch-up will reduce demand over time but not in the short term.

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoni View Post
I think you're right, at one time the plus one channels served a good purpose before the advent of PVR's. Surely the bandwidth would be better used towards launching hd channels. It still amazes me that so many channels still haven't got an hd counterpart. So many channels have absolutely terrible SD quality, makes it painful to watch.
If there was a shortage of bandwidth for launching new HD channels that would be a good point but there isn't a shortage at this point in time. There's a possibility that some channels will never operate in HD but a decision based on cost rather than bandwidth availability.

There probably isn't the bandwidth to launch a myriad of linear UHD channels with the current infrastructure but, again, no real demand for the bandwidth as broadcasters are baulking at the cost.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Modern technologies don't, IMO, display colour as well as CRT. Plasma comes close, but it's not quite right.
More modern technologies such as OLED and HDR should change that.
Old 06-11-2017, 14:51   #69
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I still have my Plasma, I'm hoping it keeps going for a few more years yet.

One of the problems with HD take-up is that you get charged extra for some of it (at least on Sky, not sure about VM these days).
For example, to get HD Sports I would have to upgrade to Box Sets, which I just dont want.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:55   #70
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

One of the problems with HD take-up is that you get charged extra for some of it (at least on Sky, not sure about VM these days).
For example, to get HD Sports I would have to upgrade to Box Sets, which I just dont want.
Isn't Sky Sports cheaper to watch on Now tv than on satellite or cable? And it's shown in 720p HD.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35   #71
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
The best picture I ever saw was an HD Sony CRT (like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinit...-/272844629359 ).

Don't get me wrong, all the sets in my house now use LCD/LED displays, and all give excellent pictures, I just prefer the colour given by CRT.
Thank you Stu for not being afraid to agree with me ... I dont think me or you is trying to cause trouble or anything for Paul

Just our opinions
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:53   #72
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

I never had a plasma, but I've heard quite a few people say that they wish they were still available as they have a better picture than LCD/LED. I think they use more electricity though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:09   #73
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

In short answer a lot of elderly people still only have SD TVs. Also I’m terrified of HD only channels since sky will lick their lips and add more HD charges
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:28   #74
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
In short answer a lot of elderly people still only have SD TVs. Also I’m terrified of HD only channels since sky will lick their lips and add more HD charges
Vince, chill mate, you're beginning to sound like Dave...........
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:35   #75
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Isn't Sky Sports cheaper to watch on Now tv than on satellite or cable? And it's shown in 720p HD.
Not really no Skysports cost a average of £25p/m on sky and cable whereas on nowtv it's £33.99p/m

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
And vm won't?
At least both SKY and BT are honest about their HD charges and don't say "HD at no extra cost" and hide it in the cost of the package.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote