Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dropping landline to save money.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Dropping landline to save money.

Old 20-10-2017, 22:04   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Dropping landline to save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Are you sure that's wise? Always have a landline (with at least one phone not cordless) in case of emergency. Mobiles can't be relied upon, they lose signal and power.

Don't think you'll save much, if anything, if you're taking TV and broadband aswell.
After checking, it wouldn't save me anything so i'm keeping it.

You make a good point though, a back up is useful if there are problems with the mobile network, especially for those with serious health conditions like myself.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2017, 14:37   #17
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
An interesting scenario of conflicting information.

This might add weight to a complaint to Ofcom about BT or VM refusing to refund advance line rental if a service is cancelled following a price increase.

I think they both have a cheek to even think about refusing to refund any monies paid in advance after a service is cancelled. If they scrapped this nonsense they would probably find that more customers would participate. This scheme benefits their cash flow & need to take on debt & the resultant interest charges anyway, so they wouldn't be losing out.
It is an awkward one because with LRS you are actually agreeing to a fixed price deal. Therefore the price of the phone line is not increasing until you renew. This effectively seperates the phone line out of the customers bundle, but retains any discounts on other components of the service.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 03:48   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
After checking, it wouldn't save me anything so i'm keeping it.

You make a good point though, a back up is useful if there are problems with the mobile network, especially for those with serious health conditions like myself.
In addition I've found it useful for locating my mobile phone, which I keep losing in the house these days!
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 14:33   #19
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
In addition I've found it useful for locating my mobile phone, which I keep losing in the house these days!
In my case only useful at weekends when the calls are "free". Has to stay lost for the rest of the week.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 21:46   #20
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
In my case only useful at weekends when the calls are "free". Has to stay lost for the rest of the week.
Why? You don't get charged unless the phone is answered!
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 23:30   #21
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why? You don't get charged unless the phone is answered!
Doh, my bad, I keep answering the thing in case it's important

Actually, it was a daft throw away comment as I don't tend to lose my phone, the only people I speak to on the landline are from VM India trying to flog me mobile phones usually in quite a forceful manner.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 09:27   #22
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I can't think of a 999 emergency situation a mobile isn't sufficient.
If all else fails, I'm always astounded at the number of people posting on the mobile networks' forums whinging about how they can't call CS to report coverage issues because they don't have any other phone.

It always seems incredibly short-sighted and self-imposed, sorry if that sounds rude. Just belts and braces and plain sensible, to be honest.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:21   #23
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
If all else fails, I'm always astounded at the number of people posting on the mobile networks' forums whinging about how they can't call CS to report coverage issues because they don't have any other phone.

It always seems incredibly short-sighted and self-imposed, sorry if that sounds rude. Just belts and braces and plain sensible, to be honest.
A mobile phone will use any available network to call 999, not just the one you're subscribed to. If all networks are down, I'd imagine the emergency services would already be far too busy to attend your house anyway.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:25   #24
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
A mobile phone will use any available network to call 999, not just the one you're subscribed to. If all networks are down, I'd imagine the emergency services would already be far too busy to attend your house anyway.
The mobile phone will attempt to use any available network, yes. Whether the network will accept it - is at best debatable, at worst risking it.

I certainly would not ditch my landline on this basis. The consequences of being caught out are potentially too great.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote