Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | parental controls dilemma :o(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Asus RT-N66U is a beast of a router, check out these speed tests

Old 16-01-2013, 11:39   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Asus RT-N66U is a beast of a router, check out these speed tests

This isn't a thread requiring technical advice or anything, more of a PSA. I made a post of this in one of the VM threads on speed doubling, but I feel it needs more attention - a lot of people have been talking about and recommending this router but I didn't see a dedicated thread for it yet (I did search but apologies if I missed it).

I was recently doubled to 100meg and decided it was time to invest in a new router to make the most of it. My old DIR-615 couldn't really go beyond 95Mbit. On wireless, it abysmal - 30-40Mbit was about as far as it could go.

So I picked up this beast and I am seriously impressed. First up, here's a speed test via a wired connection (gigabit):

Pretty good! It's definitely giving me the most of my 100Meg. How about wireless performance, though?

Yup, you're reading that correctly - literally no difference worth talking about. Repeating the test shows it wasn't a fluke and at one point I got a ping of 5ms. On wireless!

I've used a plethora of wireless routers in my time, ranging from your run-of-the-mill Belkin's to some high-end Linksys stuff but I have never once seen performance like this. I was hoping that I'd be able to hit maybe 80Mbit on wireless so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Now I should point out that there are additional factors here - for one, the laptop using the wireless has a Bigfood Wireless-N 1102 card installed, which is a fairly high-end part and designed for low latency gaming requirements (so a "regular" Laptop may still have higher pings) but it goes to show just how good the Asus kit is that it's able to keep up.
Secondly, the wireless is running on the 5Ghz frequency and a quick scan using Wifi-analyser shows zero other 5Ghz networks in my area. The laptop was also in the same room when I did the test (but it rarely moves so for me it's fine) but as I said, compared to the old router its a marked improvement.

This is before you consider that this thing is one of the most feature-packed routers I've ever seen, also capable of running 3rd-party firmwares that add even more options.

It's currently sold for about £115 in most places, it has been known to drop to about £95 (keep an eye on HUKD) and it's worth every single penny. If you need a new router, I cannot recommend this enough.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2013, 22:21   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Asus RT-N66U is a beast of a router, check out these speed tests

Meh. I got 140Mbps on my DIR-615 and this on a £45 router:

Yes, that was wireless.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 22:31   #3
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

How on earth did you manage that? I tried various DD-WRT builds on the D-link and never came anywhere close.
Old 16-01-2013, 22:44   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

To get the best speed you ideally need a wired connection with a top spec PC & NIC, and the browser can make a big difference.

I also have the RT-N66U it is a beast. I get a full signal bar

try http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk its better for Super fast BB.
Old 16-01-2013, 22:53   #5
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
To get the best speed you ideally need a wired connection with a top spec PC & NIC, and the browser can make a big difference.

I also have the RT-N66U it is a beast. I get a full signal bar

try http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk its better for Super fast BB.
Isn't that run by the same people as speedtest.net? (ookla).

But yes, I hear what you're saying about the speeds, wired will always beat wireless. It's just nice to know that I can realistically game on wireless.
Old 16-01-2013, 22:57   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The link I put was used by a VM tech when he installed my 120Mb.

My lappys getting old so i don't get that speed on wifi.
Old 17-01-2013, 01:09   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
How on earth did you manage that? I tried various DD-WRT builds on the D-link and never came anywhere close.
Relatively low interference area? I dunno. I always tend to get higher wireless results than most people with the same kit.

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

Quote:
But yes, I hear what you're saying about the speeds, wired will always beat wireless. It's just nice to know that I can realistically game on wireless.
It's a good router no doubt, just saying 100Mbps+ performance can be had from much cheaper routers. Even the Superhub can manage it, sometimes
Old 18-01-2013, 18:49   #8
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

The speed test link above is one I use and find it more reliable that speedtest.net. I was passed it by a friend who in turn was passed it by a Virgin engineer.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:52   #9
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It's a good router no doubt, just saying 100Mbps+ performance can be had from much cheaper routers. Even the Superhub can manage it, sometimes
This is very true and if you're going to drop 3 figures on a router, you should really do your research and such first. I know I'll make use of the additional features the Asus has to offer, but others may not. I seen a review for a nice TP-link on Hexus yesterday that actually outpaced the Asus in some areas and was only £60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The speed test link above is one I use and find it more reliable that speedtest.net. I was passed it by a friend who in turn was passed it by a Virgin engineer.
It certainly seems a bit faster (ironic for a speed test?) which is odd as it's run by the same people, haha.
Old 18-01-2013, 21:45   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
It certainly seems a bit faster (ironic for a speed test?) which is odd as it's run by the same people, haha.
Not really

the later uses a faster server.
Old 18-01-2013, 22:18   #11
Kushan

Today I learned.
Old 19-01-2013, 03:35   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

All the Speedtest.net servers vary in speed. Some are pathetic, though the minimum runs on a shared 100Mb connection the better ones are 1000 or 10Gigabit. I wouldn't be surprised to see top end servers connected via 40Gbit these days