Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stream YouTube videos directly to the PS3's XMB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PS3 Firmware 2.41 (in-game XMB & Trophies) - OUT NOW (see post #34)

Old 17-06-2008, 23:34   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
PS3 Firmware 2.41 (in-game XMB & Trophies) - OUT NOW (see post #34)

PlayStation Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...s-in-game-xmb/

Firmware 2.40 officially confirmed to include "Trophies" & "in-game XMB".

But first...

EDIT: Firmware 2.36 out now.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2008, 23:35   #2
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: PS3: Firmware 2.36 "coming soon"; Firmware 2.40 confirmed to have in-game XMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
PlayStation Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...s-in-game-xmb/

Firmware 2.40 officially confirmed to include "Trophies" & "in-game XMB".

But first...

Firmware 2.36 "coming soon".
Just read about this only 10mins ago on PS3fanboy. Sounds good
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:41   #3
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: PS3: Firmware 2.36 "coming soon"; Firmware 2.40 confirmed to have in-game XMB

2.36 was released today

Its only a stability update for older PS games though. Probably for PS1 games they may release on the PSN
Old 18-06-2008, 16:42   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Time for an update then
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 19:35   #5
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Sorry whats XMB?
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 19:43   #6
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLED View Post
Sorry whats XMB?
Its the user interface/menu system on the PS3
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 21:04   #7
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLED View Post
Sorry whats XMB?
Yep TOTO is correct. Its the Media Bar in your playstation that you run everything from. In-game will give the ability to do alot of things ingame like with the Xbox.
Old 19-06-2008, 12:14   #8
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

This means we have have our own music whiles palying game right?
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:50   #9
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
Thats one of the things that should be possible yes along with being able to access your friend list while in any game etc etc.
Old 19-06-2008, 20:04   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I don't think they've confirmed anything about that.

AFAIK, it's just gonna be in-game Friends List & messaging.
Old 19-06-2008, 20:07   #11
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I don't think they've confirmed anything about that.

AFAIK, it's just gonna be in-game Friends List & messaging.
That would be a real shame. Surely its possible to do?

I'm sure I read about a year ago that it was going to come the summer.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 20:28   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: PS3: Firmware 2.36 out now; Firmware 2.40 confirmed to have in-game XMB

About time too!!
Old 19-06-2008, 20:39   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
That would be a real shame. Surely its possible to do?

I'm sure I read about a year ago that it was going to come the summer.

Well, I think Sony's form of "coming soon" is different to what most people would actually consider "coming soon"

Some PS3 games do themselves allow custom soundtracks. But, I read something a while ago which said that there were licensing/patent issues of some sort regarding a system-wide custom soundtrack capability. Then again, I've also read rumours that 2.40 is going to have "much more" than in-game XMB...

So... dunno. But I doubt it for now.

Still, the fact we're definitely getting "in-game XMB" is a great big step in the right direction from Sony - finally my PS3 will be able to do something my 360 could do from launch ... [allegedly Sony did actually consider giving the PS3 in-game XMB at the beginning, but pulled it for some reason. God knows why - stupid decision if true - but at least they're finally doing it now]

In-game XMB, with full access to the Friends List in all games, & the ability to send/receive messages & invites in all games, is something the PS3 really needs; and something that should make it a more worthy rival to XBL.
Old 19-06-2008, 23:07   #14
icestar2
Inactive

The thing is this is all do-able with the Xbox. I think sony would be unwise to leave the music feature out. Its not down to sony what music people play. My bet's still on it being made avalible. If not in 2.40 then not long after as its a big demand from the PS3 community.
Old 20-06-2008, 14:34   #15
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

According to Sony, the 'custom soundtrack' ability has always been available on PS3 - it's just something that the developers had to allow for in their code, rather than being built-in to the OS in the same way as the 360.

Personally, I've never seen any point/need for custom soundtracks. Even when I had my Xbox I never used them, nor do I in current PS3 games which allow it. A lot of money is spent on game soundtracks, so the least people can do is listen to them. Then if you don't like it, turn the music off.

Besides, I don't think Snake v Screaming Mantis would be quite as epic with the Spice Girls droning on in the background...

Still, at least it seems that they're finally including it for those that want it. The only thing I'm really looking forward to seeing is what this 'trophies' malarky is like. Custom soundtracks and in-game XMB I can happily live without!
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote