Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

Old 20-10-2016, 17:12   #1
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

Just revealed in a trailer today.
http://www.theverge.com/games/2016/1...railer-release

Looks like a home console that can be removed to continue playing on the go or a weird tablet that docks to become a home console, with the controller being able to split and attach to either side of the tablet. Then can be used seperatly for multiplayer gaming. Games look like they will be digital or on memory cards.

Seems pretty powerful and this time has the backing of big game makers like EA.

Due for release in March.
Old 20-10-2016, 18:03   #2
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Nintendo Switch(NX)

Essentially a modular console, removes itself to become a 'DS' albeit as powerful as an Nvidia Shield allowing AAA titles. If they can keep the cost decent it'll do really well.
Old 20-10-2016, 18:17   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It will be powered by a custom Tegra processor from Nvidia, which apparently is as powerful as its top line GPUs. So if it can run Sky Rim and others then it could be very good indeed.
Old 20-10-2016, 20:12   #4
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Nintendo 101. How to create something that neither PC gamers or console gamers can complain about. This should appeal to both sides. I'm interested. I'd like one..
Old 20-10-2016, 20:19   #5
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with something like this is that its neither one thing or another. As a tablet, will it do everything an iPad/Android Tab/Surface will do? As a console will it have the power to compete with XBone or the PS4?

Also, Nintendo do seem to struggle to appeal to your "big spender" 20-something "bloke" market, and the games they're showing in the trailer do seem to look like they'll be aimed at the current WiiU market rather than expanding.

Also, who launches a console like this in February/March? I'd have thought a launch in July/August would have been more likely, with a publicity drive up towards Christmas.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:37   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I think without seeing the full system specs it is hard to tell, however going by the Tegra X1 or X2 and it being apparently powerful I would say it may possibly have power close to that of the X1 as the Wii U was actually pretty capable and was somewhere between the 360 and X1 in terms of graphics.

I look forward to it. Nintendo always being inovative or gimmicky as some would say. Glad they didn't go the VR route though.

A lottle bit of info on the Nvidia blog
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/1...ntendo-switch/
Quote:
The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.

But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.

A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.
Quote:
Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.
So it sounds like when you take the tablet out of the dock for mobile gaming it scales back the graphics a bit

Also wonder what the battery life will be like.

Last edited by Stephen; 20-10-2016 at 23:04.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 18:02   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Official reveal from this morning.

Launching on 3rd March!

The presentation

Games trailer thing

• $299.99 SRP (confirmed UK price - £279.99)
  • Region-free!
  • Nintendo Online - Paid service, free trial from launch until sometime 2017
  • 2.5-6 hours battery life depending on game

What you get for your £279.99

• Console
  • Joy-Con L and R
  • Wriststraps / Grip
  • Docking Station
  • HDMI cable
  • AC Adapter
  • Pro controller sold separately
  • 2 versions –Grey Joy-Cons / Coloured Joy-Cons (Red/Blue)

Launch games

Another three games come out in March:

• SnipperClippers
  • Fast RMX
  • Has-Been Heroes

On 28th April:

Pegged for spring 2017 are:

Down for summer 2017 is:

During autumn 2017:

• The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Holiday 2017 gets:

And there are 10 games with a vague 2017 release window:

There are a number of games announced for Switch that aren't on this Nintendo-released list, including Redout, Fire Emblem Warriors, a new Square RPG from the Bravely Default team, Dragon Quest 10 and 11, along with Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2, the new Shin Megami Tensei, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+, Rayman Legends Definitive Edition and Farming Simulator.

Over all I am hyped. Graphically the console looks pretty epic and a lot better than I expected.

That Mario game!! Mario in New York bouncing on Taxis and scaling building. WOW!

Last edited by Stephen; 13-01-2017 at 18:16.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 18:08   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

pretty expensive l would say compared to other consoles....
Old 13-01-2017, 18:13   #9
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

It'll drop quite quickly anyway. I reckon 220-250 is pretty reasonable. I am assuming the modular section can be recharged on the go though and not need to be docked? Would be a killer for me if it required you to take the docking section everywhere.

The idea is its ideal for me at work and for travelling, the TV use would be minimal. I see it as a better supported Nvidia shield.

Launch titles mean I won't be in a hurry but we'll start seeing popular ports soon enough. I'd be after Mario Kart though and that Mario 64 lookalike in NYC.

Leave it to Nintendo to once again pull out a wildcard in a dull generation of consoles.

Reckon they'll continue with DS devices or are we in for a merge fairly soon? The ability to play DS titles on this would be amazing. Much like Xbox Live has XBLA titles. What about DS titles on the Nintendo store?

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 13-01-2017 at 18:19.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 18:19   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Yes it will charge via USB-C

I like the idea that I can take it to work and sit on on my desk and play or get some multi player game on the go while on lunch. Or I can actually sit in the living room while the wife watches TV and still be able to play my console without having to go to an other room. Yes the Wii U can technically do this but on a much smaller poorer quality screen.

I don't think its expensive Den, its a launch price and if you look at most consoles their launch prices are always pretty high.

I think its a great idea for a console and really the next step, taking a home console and making it fully portable.

Wish they had actually revealed the system specs though. Or even shown off the UI.
Old 13-01-2017, 18:22   #11
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

USB-C, done deal then for me. Nintendo tearing it up again

It'll be 200 with launch titles by Christmas anyway with Bundles at about £250. Be matching Xbox One original and PS4 Original all the way whereas Scorpio Xbox One will be near £500 if not more.
Old 13-01-2017, 18:34   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Re: The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

The IR sensor on the Joycon looks pretty interesting as does the HD rumble. There is also an NFC reader on the right controller for the Amiibo figures.

I love Nintendo trying new things and always being brave and not just doing what every other console does, yes it doesn't always work but they still try.
Old 13-01-2017, 18:44   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
USB-C, done deal then for me. Nintendo tearing it up again

It'll be 200 with launch titles by Christmas anyway with Bundles at about £250. Be matching Xbox One original and PS4 Original all the way whereas Scorpio Xbox One will be near £500 if not more.
Well £200 plus certainly sounds better so as you say its wiser to wait rather then jumping in at the start.
Old 13-01-2017, 18:51   #14
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The IR sensor on the Joycon looks pretty interesting as does the HD rumble. There is also an NFC reader on the right controller for the Amiibo figures.

I love Nintendo trying new things and always being brave and not just doing what every other console does, yes it doesn't always work but they still try.
Directly competing would just be making a third dull console. The Wii was excellent and now they're enhancing a market that everyone can tap into again. I have a gaming rig, I've had xbox 360's, PS3's, countless consoles over the years, yet the only two I've taken to work or with me on my travels are a DS or PSP, of which I liked the DS far more. You have people like myself whom would love a more powerful DS like device and the capability of AAA games on the fly that isn't just restricted to an Nvidia Shield. Some wanted a Nintendo Console for tv use... why not do both apparently. Basically, everyone can have a current gen console or a PC and still find a need for a Nintendo Switch
Old 13-01-2017, 18:53   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Just seen that some specs have been confirmed.

It will have 32GB internal Memory, expandable with Micro SD Cards.

The screen is finally a capacitive multitouch screen at 6.2 Inches and resolution of 1280x720

Dual speakers on the bottom and a 3.5mm headphone jack on the top.