Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow

Old 17-08-2015, 11:36   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Injuries reported after lorry crash in Glasgow

Quote:
The family of a woman who died in the Glasgow bin lorry crash have told an inquiry they intend to seek a private prosecution against the driver.

Jacqueline Morton's family have sought an adjournment so they can begin action against 58-year-old Harry Clarke.

The Morton family has the support of relatives of Gillian Ewing, who also died in the tragedy on 22 December.

A decision on whether the inquiry will be halted will be made on Thursday. In the meantime, evidence will continue.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-33959101

I very much hope the families and loved one get what they feel is justice.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2015, 18:51   #32
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I'm sure the bereaved families will feel this is rubbing salt in their considerable wounds:

Quote:
The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow killing six people has been arrested over claims he drove while banned.

Harry Clarke, 58, is accused of driving a car on 20 September despite losing his licence for medical reasons.

Mr Clarke blacked out while driving a council lorry which crashed in Glasgow city centre on 22 December last year.

He had previously fainted while working as a bus driver but failed disclose it when he joined the council.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "A 58-year-old man was arrested in connection with alleged traffic offences. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-34438129

Maybe this time they'll actually do something...
Old 04-10-2015, 19:35   #33
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

If it is the case that he was banned then I'd expect the council employee who hired him (without checking that he was safe to do the job) will be arrested and possibly charged as well.
Not holding my breath though....
Old 04-10-2015, 20:25   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
If it is the case that he was banned then I'd expect the council employee who hired him (without checking that he was safe to do the job) will be arrested and possibly charged as well.
Not holding my breath though....
This case is relating to the fact he was driven since the lorry crush despite being banned.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:03   #35
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Judges to rule on bin lorry driver private prosecution.

Families will hear in the autumn if they can bring proceedings against Harry Clarke.

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1356...e-prosecution/

I hope the families get the outcome of what they are hoping for, I know nothing will bring back their loved ones but I do think that this man has got off Scot-Free and maybe just maybe a private prosecution will bring these poor families some justice.
Old 09-06-2016, 19:06   #36
Osem
Inactive

I do hope the families get justice. This whole thing is a serious blot on the Scottish legal system which needs to be erased IMHO. Good luck to them!
Old 09-06-2016, 19:12   #37
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

So do I Osem I still find it had to believe that our legal system failed in such a clear cut case after all it is my understanding this man had not disclosed his medical background to his employers or the DVLA.
Old 09-06-2016, 19:19   #38
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
So do I Osem I still find it had to believe that our legal system failed in such a clear cut case after all it is my understanding this man had not disclosed his medical background to his employers or the DVLA.
I'll never understand why they effectively excluded him from prosecution before knowing the facts.
Old 10-12-2016, 00:21   #39
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

The families have been let down again IMO and I cannot help but wonder why this man has got away with his lies that caused these unnecessary and totally avoidable deaths. Speaking as a wife of a HGV driver who today has just had his medical to keep his HGV license I was shocked to hear when he said that nothing has changed in regards to your medical for a HGV license maybe just a few more questions but that was all, his exact wording was hen nothing has changed if you wanted to you could still give false information. I said something must have changed he said the only thing that had changed was the price and a few more questions with his medical which shocked me as we both thought it would be more strict and lessons would have been learned from it. I was also shocked when he said that some HGV drivers go to centers that supply cheap medicals, some of these centers offer to your medical for as little as £50.00 as to the £115 he had to pay. IMO if you need this type of license you should need to go to your own GP for it.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/137...e-prosecution/

Last edited by weenie; 10-12-2016 at 00:24.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 00:49   #40
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The renewal fee should include the medical fee IMHO and you must go to a designated doctor for the medical who must have access to your medical records.

Just my twopenn'orth.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:04   #41
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

That is my opinion too pip and I was shocked when my hubby told me about these center's as he always goes to his/our own GP.

To renew your license it does not cost only the medical, it only occurs a fee if you need to replace the picture and the fee for that is £17.00. Then you also need a CPC which my husbands work pays for thankfully.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:50   #42
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

The medicals should be a lot more strict ,my medical was performed by a retired doctor who did it on tuesdays and thursdays ,the cost of £50 was part of the initial test fee and paid to the doctor in cash .
There is an argument that the medical is like an MOT ,it's out of date as soon as you leave the garage .My own medical condition that stopped me being a HGV driver developed in under a year so it's not really surprising that many drivers are driving around with sometimes quite severe illnesses The other issue for me is that drivers only have to renew every 5 yrs after they are 45 yrs old, that then requires a medical as part of the renewal process but before the driver is 45 yrs old they do not require medicals every 5yrs .
Old 17-02-2017, 18:18   #43
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow killing six people has admitted culpable and reckless driving in a separate incident.
Harry Clarke, 60, had his licence withdrawn for medical reasons in the months following the bin lorry crash on 22 December 2014.
He pleaded guilty to driving a car nine months later, despite knowing he was unfit to drive.
Clarke was not prosecuted over the bin lorry crash.
At Glasgow Sheriff Court on Friday, Clarke admitted driving a car on 20 September 2015 in the knowledge that he had suffered a loss of consciousness while at the wheel of a moving refuse collection vehicle the previous December.
The charge stated he also knew he had suffered a loss of consciousness or episode of altered awareness while at the wheel of a stationary bus on 7 April 2010.
He will be sentenced at a later date.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-39006862

Can anyone think of a bigger insult to the families and loved ones of those who died and were injured as a result of this guy's actions?

I hope he gets the maximum possible sentence.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:49   #44
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

What a selfish man this is, he has the attitude of ME ME ME written all over him IMO.
'YOUR LUCK'S ABOUT TO RUN OUT' Lawyer’s warning to shamed bin lorry driver Harry Clarke who’s facing jail after admitting reckless driving on ANOTHER occasion. I hope the Lawyer is right with his comment and Mr Harry Clarke faces time behind bars.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...n-lorry-crash/
Old 18-02-2017, 13:04   #45
Osem
Inactive

I'm still mystified as to why the families were deprived of a private prosecution.