Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 08-09-2014, 19:15   #2026
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

This just reinforces my point I made earlier. Why the hell did Cameron allow such stupid things like 16 yr olds voting??? There's no precedent for it, he should have just said 'Sorry salmond baby, 18 yrs and above only' I mean what could Salmond have done.

I suppose as consolation, if it all goes wrong is Cameron gets sacked (and placed in the history books as the PM who lost Scotland), next consolation would be that the Labour inbalance is resolved.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2014, 19:19   #2027
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
next consolation would be that the Labour inbalance is resolved.
For me this is why the Scots should vote Yes. We can consign the Liebour party to the dustbin of politics for the next half century.
Old 08-09-2014, 19:19   #2028
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The under 18 vote could swing it. Too young to do any of the below but somehow considered trustworthy and educated enough in life to help decide the future of a country Vote in an election for your local councillor, MP (UK Parliament), MSP (Scottish Parliament), MEP (European Parliament). Stand for election as a local councillor, MP (UK Parliament) or MSP (Scottish Parliament). Earn the National Minimum Wage rate for 18-21 year olds. Become liable to register and pay the Council Tax. Serve as a juror. Buy alcohol in licensed premises and consume alcohol in a bar. Buy cigarettes & tobacco. See any film/hire any video. Buy or possess fireworks. Place a bet. Hold a credit card. Work behind a bar. Be tattooed. Hire or buy a sunbed. Be licensed to serve alcohol. Hold a basic commercial pilot’s licence. Hold a licence to drive a medium-sized goods vehicle.
I suspect a lot of the 16 / 17 year old voters will be voting "Yes" in order to try and change these things for those coming behind them.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:22   #2029
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
How did it come to this...?
I'm not getting a sense of any anti-English feeling.... well not any more than you usually get from Salmond's loonies.
I think it's mainly disillusionment with Westminster and the politicians of all flavours. The No campaign aren't helped by some of the unofficial mouthpieces. I'm sure Boris Johnson and George Galloway (I know, I know..) have both added votes to the Yes campaign for different reasons.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:24   #2030
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I wonder if Cameron can last if they leave?
Old 08-09-2014, 19:25   #2031
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
I suspect a lot of the 16 / 17 year old voters will be voting "Yes" in order to try and change these things for those coming behind them.
If they're anything like the 16/17 years old ones I know, they'll be voting for themselves and nobody else, and certainly not those very young or not even born yet!
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:30   #2032
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The only study/ poll that I've came across suggested that most 16/17 year old voters would vote no. That was quite a while ago so that age group may well be being influenced by the upswing in optimism for what independence could bring.

In a totally unscientific poll of the 16/17 year olds in my family the results indicate a 2:1 in favour of a Yes vote. Interestingly 100% of the females intend to vote yes while the male vote was split 50:50.

The results are up to date. I conducted the poll with all 3 of them on Saturday
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:33   #2033
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
If they're anything like the 16/17 years old ones I know, they'll be voting for themselves and nobody else, and certainly not those very young or not even born yet!
I wouldn't trust the 16 year old version of myself to make any life changing decision. I thought I knew everything back then but in reality I knew nothing.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:33   #2034
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
For me this is why the Scots should vote Yes. We can consign the Liebour party to the dustbin of politics for the next half century.
Yup - A yes vote will mean that although the English may only be part of the way towards their independence, at least we'll be able to console ourselves with the notion that a whole load of Labour MP's from Scottish constituencies will no longer be having a direct input into our affairs.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 19:39   #2035
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
...at least we'll be able to console ourselves with the notion that a whole load of Labour MP's from Scottish constituencies will no longer be having a direct input into our affairs.
Bit late now, the Gordon Brown damage is already done!

Personally I think having Alistair Darling, an ex-labour chancellor of the exchequer who was appointed by Gordon Brown, as a representative automatically gave negative connotations towards the No group. You choose a cute likeable fluffy bunny type character, not one associated with a party that almost broke the UK financially.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:31   #2036
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think losing Scotland will rank worse in history than presiding over a banking crisis.

People are also underestimating the impact a Yes vote will have on both the Scottish and UK economies. 18 months of negotiation, the loss of oil revenue, the banking sector moving south. Sterling has already taken a hit today. It will likely continue tomorrow with the latest poll set to confirm it's neck and neck. It will hit the skids if Scots vote Yes next week. How many people have their pensions invested with a Scottish firm? Standard Life? Scottish Widows?

We're 10 days away from turmoil. The UK being torn asunder will be destabilising force than might even rival the banking crisis. You don't lose 10% of your GDP, 9% of your population and 30% of your land without consequence. This will dominate the United Kingdom for the next couple of years. The EU and UKIP will be footnotes compared to the Scottish Question. A question for which our Government doesn't appear to have prepared an answer for.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:40   #2037
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
A question for which our Government doesn't appear to have prepared an answer for.
Complacency was never a good idea. They really are getting frantic now.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:49   #2038
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Complacency was never a good idea. They really are getting frantic now.
This is utterly mad. The Conservatives have spent the summer on their usual anti-EU infighting, UKIP and the rather more understandable distraction of ISIS. Labour have spent the Summer doing nothing even though they're probably best equipped to deal Scottish Independence. So complacent. Hell, after Clacton there were more polls about that seat than Independence until this week.

It's also insane that Scotland could leave. Scotland will live in the same economic climate as the rest of the world, they will fact the same pressures that the rest of the Western nations do. How will they afford this society they want to build? If they try to raise taxes then people can just move south. They have oil but those are already included in the per-head income and yet still spend more than they earn (as we do as well).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 21:05   #2039
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Calm

Anyone who believes a two thirds say no has turned into 50/50 or worse overnight needs their head examined.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 21:18   #2040
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
All to play for.

Clearly Osborne et al are now having to make offers of concessions beyond those which they had originally anticipated.

This is funny to watch.
It's rather pathetic really.

Dread to think what they'll manage to extract from rUK either way going by the ridiculously sycophantic way Osborne et al are desperately trying to suck up to the Scots and beg them to vote no.

I'd be more inclined to vote yes on the grounds that I don't want to be ruled by such a spineless, nerveless bunch.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote