Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview without an aerial....possible?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

SKY and Channel 4+1 pixelation (Various other channels too).

Old 13-02-2008, 18:02   #1
owin
Inactive

owin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SKY and Channel 4+1 pixelation (Various other channels too).

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before on this forum, or not, but anyhow, here goes ...

I've got a basic Sky installation, not Sky+ or multiroom, just the 1 digi-box in the living room. All my channels including movies and sport are being received fine, except for a few, which are very pixelated and can't be watched.

The list of channels are:
Channel 4 + 1 ch. 135
True Movies ch. 323
True Movies 2 ch. 324
POP ch. 616
Tiny POP ch. 617
Baby TV ch. 623
Tiny POP + 1 ch. 625
POP Girl ch. 626
POP + 1 ch. 627

The 1st 3 channels are the ones I'm interested in receiving clearly, the others are given for info.

I've had a Sky engineer and senior engineer out last weekend and they have both changed the receiver. dish, LNB and cable to new items, so it isn't faulty equipment, or doesn't appear to be. The senior engineer suggest a new Sky card which is now in place and "paired to the machine", but the fault still persists. The engineers, both normal and seniors are baffled by this.

Does anyone have any ides as to what can be causing the problem, or have the same problem?
owin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2008, 21:28   #2
Losttheplot

Re: SKY and Channel 4+1 pixelation (Various other channels too).

I'm pretty confident the issue is a DECT phone interfereing with the signals from the LNB to the Sky box. The signals from the dect overlap with the L band signals. Turn off the phone basestation and see if the isue goes.
Old 13-02-2008, 22:28   #3
owin
Inactive

owin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: SKY and Channel 4+1 pixelation (Various other channels too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
I'm pretty confident the issue is a DECT phone interfereing with the signals from the LNB to the Sky box. The signals from the dect overlap with the L band signals. Turn off the phone basestation and see if the isue goes.
Thanks for that, seems to have cured it. I turned the phone off and Channel 4+1 and True movies are all nice and clear, turned it back on and they went back to what they were.

The kid's channels are still breaking up, would that be my BT Home Hub? I'm certainly not turning that off

Now the problem is what do I do with the phone?

Thanks again for the help.
owin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 22:47   #4
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by owin View Post

I've had a Sky engineer and senior engineer out last weekend and they have both changed the receiver. dish, LNB and cable to new items, so it isn't faulty equipment, or doesn't appear to be. The senior engineer suggest a new Sky card which is now in place and "paired to the machine", but the fault still persists. The engineers, both normal and seniors are baffled by this.

Does anyone have any ides as to what can be causing the problem, or have the same problem?
Actually I missed this bit about 'engineers'. Its extremely unlikely they were engineers. The installers aren't engineers, they have no engineering qualifications. They get maybe a couple of weeks training. His area supervisor was probably the second visitor. No sign of any test equipment (spectrum analysers etc).
Sorry, but this is a bit of a bugbear of mine. An engineer has in depth knowledge of his field, mainly through years of experience, and with a sound academic grounding to help the understanding. An engineer would have found the interference you mentioned, an installer would not have had the tools.

Anyway, what kids channels still have issues, and have you tried removing batteries for the DECT handsets?
Old 11-03-2008, 20:07   #5
SnowManWales
Inactive

SnowManWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
I had the same problem as owin, after checking my phone (which is a iDect cordless) all channels work perfectly

my parents have the same problem, but they dont use a cordless phone, the only thing they use which is wireless is a Zoon X6 router, any ideas how i can reduce the interference to their system (they are using a freesat, NOT Sky or Sky+)

TIA
SnowManWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19   #6
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManWales View Post
I had the same problem as owin, after checking my phone (which is a iDect cordless) all channels work perfectly

my parents have the same problem, but they dont use a cordless phone, the only thing they use which is wireless is a Zoon X6 router, any ideas how i can reduce the interference to their system (they are using a freesat, NOT Sky or Sky+)

TIA
I doubt its the wireless router, they work around 2.5GHz the issue affecting C4+1 occurs at 1.88GHz. If you turn the router off does the interference disappear?
Old 12-03-2008, 23:50   #7
SnowManWales
Inactive

i havent been up there yet to try turning the router off, i think it could be a neighbour's phone causing the interference, bit of an annoyance as they got freesat mainly to get channel 5, ITV 2,3,4 and bbc, 3,4, channel 5 is one of the ones which isnt working to good as well as some others
Old 12-03-2008, 23:56   #8
nfs6600
cf.geek

Services: All
nfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant future

You could always join Virgin Media
nfs6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:28   #9
Losttheplot

Quote:
i havent been up there yet to try turning the router off, i think it could be a neighbour's phone causing the interference, bit of an annoyance as they got freesat mainly to get channel 5, ITV 2,3,4 and bbc, 3,4, channel 5 is one of the ones which isnt working to good as well as some others
Channel 5 definitely isn't affected by the DECT phone interference issue. Sounds like they have a different issue, faulty box, faulty LNB or poorly aligned dish.
Old 14-03-2008, 12:15   #10
SnowManWales
Inactive

i have a spare lnb here so ill try that up there, see if it helps

nfs6600, i live in Mid Wales, no virgin up here
Old 09-04-2008, 22:29   #11
SnowManWales
Inactive

sorry owin for hijacking your thread

ok long over due, changed the LNB and nothing has changed, still getting channels which have pixelation on them

could it be the sky box causing the problems or the firmware on the box?
what cable is best to use from dish to box?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52   #12
Losttheplot

Quote:
sorry owin for hijacking your thread

ok long over due, changed the LNB and nothing has changed, still getting channels which have pixelation on them

could it be the sky box causing the problems or the firmware on the box?
what cable is best to use from dish to box?
Its far more likely to be an issue with dish alignment or LNB off pole.
Can you borrow a box from a friend and see if their box has the same issue? If it doesn't, then take your box and see if its affected at a friends house. If it is affected at your friends then its a box issue. A failing power supply within the box can cause some strange issues. Look for bulging capacitors if you can take the lid off the box.
Old 10-04-2008, 18:56   #13
SnowManWales
Inactive

i did check the signal strength last night and it was good strength, i used my phone camera to record channel 5 as well, just to see how bad the pixelation is, not sure if it would really help or not but i could upload it, only about 30 seconds long

i have exactly the same decoder here so ill take mine up there and try and vice versa, see if there are any changes
Old 15-04-2008, 01:00   #14
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs6600 View Post
You could always join Virgin Media

Yeah, why not, you too could get half the channels for twice the cost.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 19:53   #15
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

haha thats so true lol
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote