Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 300mbps speed on Superhub?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

300mbps speed on Superhub?

Old 02-05-2012, 17:53   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
300mbps speed on Superhub?

Hi all,

I had my superhub installed on Saturday and the engineer suggested using my TP-Link router and have the superhub on modem only mode. He made a few changes to it to improve its performance (something in the firewall config and changed the speed down from 300mbps). Is there an issue with the superhub stability if set to 300mbps?
I wondered about changing it back up to this? I'm using the standard 2.4GHz as I have B and G devices on the network.
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 18:29   #2
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Re: 300mbps speed on Superhub?

Your B & G devices can only do 10 and 54 mbit respectively, no point having it on 300Meg
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:02   #3
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

How about the N devices like my laptop?
I had my TP-Link on 300mbps and it said it was connecting at 240 or so?
Old 02-05-2012, 20:39   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

there have been numerous issues with the shub's wireless performance and running it at 300mbits has proved to be very unstable and the thing just dies. I think VM pretty much gave up and found that knocking it down to 150mbit improves reliability no end. The engineer was right with his advice, you'll be doing yourself a huge favour by not going any further with it and using your tp-link router instead before you encounter any additional down falls.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:04   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
VM pretty much gave up and found that knocking it down to 150mbit improves reliability no end.
144mbit, though the GUI incorrectly displays 145.

150 on the Superhub would still require 40Mhz and would probably be just as unstable.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:55   #6
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Waste of time, it constantly falls over and crashes in 300mbps mode.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:03   #7
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvout View Post
How about the N devices like my laptop?
I had my TP-Link on 300mbps and it said it was connecting at 240 or so?
Sorry, you only mentioned G and B devices. You may be better putting the SH into 5GHz mode, and use your TP-Link as an access point for your 2.4GHz devices. That's if you have any devices that support 5GHz. Otherwise I'd just stick the SH into Modem Mode and user your TP-Link as your main router..
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:06   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Good.

The sooner they get rid of that default the better. Even if it wasn't unstable, it's still un-neighbourly.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:10   #9
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Interesting.

Certainly when I had one putting it in 300 and doing an internal network transfer to my NAS keeled it over in a couple of minutes but I assumed that the firmware update fixing the wifi driver memory leak would have fixed that. I find it incredible that after nearly two years the wretched thing still has bugs capable of crashing it on, from what has been mentioned here, default settings.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 21:09   #10
tvout
Inactive

Many thanks all, I'll avoid the 300mbps mode I think. It seems to be fairly stable, I have had to reboot it twice though today as the web interface played up (was fine since last Saturday when it was installed). I couldn't access the web interface at all which was irritating. Still annoying there isn't a way to reboot it through the web interface either. Connecting the TP-Link is a tempting idea, that ran on 300mbps absolutely fine.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:28   #11
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

If you look through the myriad threads on here and elsewhere you'll discover a general consensus which says, PUT THE SUPERHUB IN MODEM MODE AND USE A DECENT ROUTER! Not everyone's point of view to be honest. Some people don't have issues with it, some do. If you find it doesn't 'route' as you would expect a 'router' to do then....
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03   #12
tvout
Inactive

I was kind of hoping to just have the one device doing everything as it's such a huge modem if you know what I mean. Reasons of neatness really, I have it where the TV is in the living room and previously there was a nightmare of cables around there which I spent an afternoon sorting out. It seems to be doing ok at the moment, if it starts to annoy me like Netgear routers have done in the past then I'll hook up the TP-Link router again.
Old 05-05-2012, 21:46   #13
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

I must be the only person with a perfectly fine Superhub I think. Ours was installed in December 2011, and has never dropped a connection (we had a couple of outages in the area, but nothing the superhub caused locally). Runs on 300mbps without any problems...which is actually quite surprising given that our last (netgear) router died once a day and gave crap performance due to there being 50+ other wifi networks very close by (most of which were the idiotic BT ones switching channel constantly!). Since we moved to the SHUB we've not really had any signal or speed issues at all.
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 21:52   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you have been one of the lucky few that must have got a shub that actually worked
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:11   #15
tvout
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
I must be the only person with a perfectly fine Superhub I think. Ours was installed in December 2011, and has never dropped a connection (we had a couple of outages in the area, but nothing the superhub caused locally). Runs on 300mbps without any problems...which is actually quite surprising given that our last (netgear) router died once a day and gave crap performance due to there being 50+ other wifi networks very close by (most of which were the idiotic BT ones switching channel constantly!). Since we moved to the SHUB we've not really had any signal or speed issues at all.
I might give the 300mbps a try in that case and see what happens. I had the same experience with Netgear routers, I had two of them and they would fail every day, sometimes several times in one day. I had to keep restarting them and resorted to a number of different measures, including removing all the outer casing and putting a fan on top and leaving in a bag in the freezer to cool it down! Pile of junk, they're both in pieces in the attic somewhere.