Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Install - selecting install location

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

New Install - selecting install location

Old 06-03-2011, 14:07   #1
craigd
Inactive

craigd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Install - selecting install location

Hi there,

I'm contemplating getting the 50mb XXL broadband package from VM - just the phone/data package with no TV. I really need the router installed in my study at the rear of my house on the first floor. However, I live in a mid-terrace and don't want the cable run through the house - would Virgin consider running a cable up the outside wall and across the roof, before entering the house? There's already a BT line in the room which I don't need but I don't imagine that's any help?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Craig
craigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 14:51   #2
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads
Re: New Install - selecting install location

Over the roof, no, sorry this won't happen.
You could ask them to run it through the loft but it would take some serious persuasion.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 14:54   #3
craigd
Inactive

Thanks for the quick response!

i thought that would be the case - sadly there's no loft since it was converted 5 years ago. Guess it's either a cable running up the side of the stairs, or I'll wait for BT Infinity in September.
Old 06-03-2011, 14:56   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

i thought that would be the case - sadly there's no loft since it was converted 5 years ago. Guess it's either a cable running up the side of the stairs, or I'll wait for BT Infinity in September.
You will probably have the same issue with BT Infinity.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 15:04   #5
craigd
Inactive

Oh. I thought Infinity was just FTTC and they delivered the last portion over the existing copper - I already have a BT line in the room.
Old 06-03-2011, 15:16   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Oh. I thought Infinity was just FTTC and they delivered the last portion over the existing copper - I already have a BT line in the room.
It uses fibre optic cables so I cannot see them using an old phone cable in the property.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co..._FURL_infinity
Old 06-03-2011, 15:23   #7
craigd
Inactive

Yeah, it's fibre to the cabinet, but then they deliver the final bit over copper using VDSL. If you look at http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=29023 you can see the instructions refer to your existing master socket and so on. Having said all that, I'd still prefer a Virgin solution - it seems to be generally faster.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:12   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yeah, it's fibre to the cabinet, but then they deliver the final bit over copper using VDSL. If you look at http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=29023 you can see the instructions refer to your existing master socket and so on. Having said all that, I'd still prefer a Virgin solution - it seems to be generally faster.
Seems rather pointless to ruin a good connection by using the old phone socket and existing cabling, it is a bit like getting a state of the art Bluray player and connecting it to a an old black and white television.

At least Virginmedia use a high grade shielded coaxial cable from the cabinet to the property, it seems like BT are still stuck in the 1890's.
Old 06-03-2011, 18:45   #9
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Seems rather pointless to ruin a good connection by using the old phone socket and existing cabling, it is a bit like getting a state of the art Bluray player and connecting it to a an old black and white television.

At least Virginmedia use a high grade shielded coaxial cable from the cabinet to the property, it seems like BT are still stuck in the 1890's.
When you think about it it becomes quite obvious.
FTTH would deliver phenomenal speeds, not just a max of 40 meg.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:08   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
When you think about it it becomes quite obvious.
FTTH would deliver phenomenal speeds, not just a max of 40 meg.
I think that using the existing internal phone wirings would degrade the speed somewhat.
Old 12-03-2011, 18:36   #11
bigtum
Inactive

bigtum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
Over the roof, no, sorry this won't happen.
You could ask them to run it through the loft but it would take some serious persuasion.
They put my cables over the roof (Bungalow).The bloke frightened the life out of me climbing around the roof in the dark at 6pm in November!!
bigtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:20   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think that using the existing internal phone wirings would degrade the speed somewhat.
BT Infinity is VDSL. Using existing phone wiring is exactly what it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-hi...ubscriber_line

It is no more "Fibre" than VM's fibre-optic service. In neither case does fibre go beyond the cabinet or into the home.

VM have a shielded coax cable with several gigabits of capacity but that capacity is shared between dozens to hundreds of homes, BT use a copper cable with ~100mbps of capacity to each individual home.

VDSL is a connection type specifically designed for phone lines, using an existing phone line for it isn't ruining anything.

No new cables need to be installed for BT Infinity.

Mind you I have seen properties around here (even 5 floor high ones) with VM cable chucked over the roof and back down to the other side.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:23   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
BT Infinity is VDSL. Using existing phone wiring is exactly what it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-hi...ubscriber_line

It is no more "Fibre" than VM's fibre-optic service. In neither case does fibre go beyond the cabinet or into the home.

VM have a shielded coax cable with several gigabits of capacity but that capacity is shared between dozens to hundreds of homes, BT use a copper cable with ~100mbps of capacity to each individual home.

VDSL is a connection type specifically designed for phone lines, using an existing phone line for it isn't ruining anything.

No new cables need to be installed for BT Infinity.

Mind you I have seen properties around here (even 5 floor high ones) with VM cable chucked over the roof and back down to the other side.
I was wondering specifically about the internal cabling which is quite different to Virginmedia internal cabling as to its ability to provide the speeds advertised.

Is it really capable if so that is quite good on that type of cabling.
Old 27-03-2011, 16:58   #14
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
I was wondering specifically about the internal cabling which is quite different to Virginmedia internal cabling as to its ability to provide the speeds advertised.

Is it really capable if so that is quite good on that type of cabling.
They are very different technologies (for broadband) and you cannot compare the coax used by Virgin to the twisted pair used by BT.

BT telephone cable is no different to the stuff used by Virgin (for telco), other than there will be three pairs in there instead of two. Only one pair is used per line.

BT Infinity should work just fine with the existing internal cables as long as they are in good condition.
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote