Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview without an aerial....possible?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

Freeview without an aerial....possible?

Old 08-05-2008, 14:21   #1
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to shredder
Freeview without an aerial....possible?

Hello,

I currently have sky downstairs, but I want to get a freeview box for in my bedroom. Unfortunately I don't have a tv aerial point in my room, do I need to get one installed or is there a type of freeview box that will work without being connected to an aerial point. My tv currently works using a stand alone aerialwhich I plug into the back of my tv.

Any advice appreciated!

K
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2008, 14:27   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Freeview without an aerial....possible?

How would that work?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:32   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You *may* be able to get a Freeview signal with a portable aerial but, unless you have a reasonably clear view of Winter Hill from your bedroom, I'd suggest this is unlikely.

Instead, why not run a cable from the RF2 output of your Sky box up to your bedroom. This will allow you to watch the same Sky channel as your main TV or, if you have an external aerial connected to it, any of the terrestrial analogue channels. If this is a good aerial then you may be able to receive the Freeview channels too.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:42   #4
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

all depends on the distance + line of sight really, when i was at uni i could get a few channels with an indoor aerial but had to keep moving it depending on which channels i wanted. at home however i can get all channels through some copper wire except when lorries drive past
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:46   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Since you already have a Sky dish, why not buy another box (off eBay or similar) and get a Sky Freesat viewing card and connect it up to the LNB (you might need an LNB with more outputs!)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:17   #6
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Good point Zeph!

Or even get a Freesat from Freesat box - no card required:
http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=products.Main
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42   #7
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
You *may* be able to get a Freeview signal with a portable aerial but, unless you have a reasonably clear view of Winter Hill from your bedroom, I'd suggest this is unlikely.

Instead, why not run a cable from the RF2 output of your Sky box up to your bedroom. This will allow you to watch the same Sky channel as your main TV or, if you have an external aerial connected to it, any of the terrestrial analogue channels. If this is a good aerial then you may be able to receive the Freeview channels too.
unless your Freeview receiver has a very sensitive tuner &/or your next to a transmitter it wont work. however with my Echostar T-101 FTA i can get all channels with an indoor antenna as it has a very sensitive tuner. the only problem for you is that they are no longer made so you'l have trouble finding one & you cant even buy them on eBay anyone.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 19:37   #8
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Good point Zeph!

Or even get a Freesat from Freesat box - no card required:
http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=products.Main
why when he'l get less channels.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote