Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 26-11-2016, 11:17   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's a known error on the V6 when used with certain TVs. A software fix is in development, but in the meantime try going into the Video Output Formats settings menus and unticking 1080i.
Thanks SP, I'll do that right now.

Edit: Each time I untick 1080i, it's defaults back to it when I go back into the screen to check if it remains removed.

After unchecking the 1080i box, it gives me the options of continue, test formats or auto detect.

Continue does nothing but give out the error sound, test makes the V6 test all formats and auto detect restores the 1080i box tick!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 26-11-2016 at 11:29.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2016, 13:55   #17
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yes, it is. It works ok for my Smart TV & other devices though. Perhaps the V6 is more sensitive??

Thanks, I'll look into this

Don't talk so stupid. How on Earth can finding that the box isn't working be "looking for fault"?!

Idiotic statement.

Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again, am I supposed to just shrug my shoulders and say c'est la vie?

It worked fine again, but it wasn't a 'connect to VM' that corrected it, it was a reboot this time.

If it happens again (after checking Robbos suggestion) I'll report it as a fault. Nobody else has reported any problems with their V6, so I will have to assume that its my particular box that's faulty.
If you go back through your posts on multiple threads, it would appear to most people I think that you were really pounding away at your Tivo, trying to find faults with it. I think your first Tivo must be well and truly knackered by now.

I accept that your 'on/off' issue may be a known issue, but many of the problems you have raised on Cable Forum are the result of the way you go about testing every single aspect of what the box will do. I fully expect that if you had a Sky Q box you would be highlighting similar issues every day.

I use my Tivo to record, play, search and add wishlists, and the only issue I have is the relative slowness of the box at times (although my existing Tivo is now on its way out after about 4 or 5 years of reliable usage). I am sure that if I gave it the kind of pounding you give your boxes, I would get additional problems as well. Do you ever get the time to actually watch any programmes all the way through? If you do, I don't know where you find it!

Just sayin'...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:09   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you go back through your posts on multiple threads, it would appear to most people I think that you were really pounding away at your Tivo, trying to find faults with it. I think your first Tivo must be well and truly knackered by now.

I accept that your 'on/off' issue may be a known issue, but many of the problems you have raised on Cable Forum are the result of the way you go about testing every single aspect of what the box will do. I fully expect that if you had a Sky Q box you would be highlighting similar issues every day.

I use my Tivo to record, play, search and add wishlists, and the only issue I have is the relative slowness of the box at times (although my existing Tivo is now on its way out after about 4 or 5 years of reliable usage). I am sure that if I gave it the kind of pounding you give your boxes, I would get additional problems as well. Do you ever get the time to actually watch any programmes all the way through? If you do, I don't know where you find it!

Just sayin'...
I expect my equipment to work properly and seek to remedy matters if it doesn't.

How I use my box is irrelevant, it's akin to saying that someone shouldn't complain about a shower installation that begins to leak after 15 minutes because they shouldn't stay in the shower that long!

If you're happy to pay a price increase for an inferior box and/or not get any technical problems sorted out, that's your business.

Do you have any V6 problems to report? This is, after all, the purpose of this thread.
Old 26-11-2016, 14:22   #19
MisterQ

Quote:

Just sayin'...
Well I for one have been silently following Richard's posts for months, primarily because I also suffered from many of the same faults and bugs as well as many more that have not been reported. I think it is very unfortunate that Virgin Media and seemingly some of their vocal customers are so much in love with their little buggy box that they can turn a blind eye to so many problems, hence why most of the faults that existed the day it came out, still exist today even in V6 and why Virgin Media have a reputation for slow, buggy, clunky devices, whilst a growing list of competitor products continue to go from strength to strength.

As for knackering something out by pounding away, I think you must be thinking of something else

I congratulate Richard for standing up for what he believes in and not be shouted down and out by ridicule.
Old 26-11-2016, 14:57   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
Well I for one have been silently following Richard's posts for months, primarily because I also suffered from many of the same faults and bugs as well as many more that have not been reported. I think it is very unfortunate that Virgin Media and seemingly some of their vocal customers are so much in love with their little buggy box that they can turn a blind eye to so many problems, hence why most of the faults that existed the day it came out, still exist today even in V6 and why Virgin Media have a reputation for slow, buggy, clunky devices, whilst a growing list of competitor products continue to go from strength to strength.

As for knackering something out by pounding away, I think you must be thinking of something else

I congratulate Richard for standing up for what he believes in and not be shouted down and out by ridicule.
Thank you.

I have little time for (to use a yoof term) fanbois of any company or product.
Old 26-11-2016, 19:20   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post

Well, that was not my intention. I admit I was having a bit of a laugh about Richard going to town on his box, but it was not meant unkindly, and to be fair he has raised one or two important issues.

He's still not getting anywhere near my Tivo, though (sorry, Richard)!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 20:17   #22
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's never really worthwhile rushing to get the first model of anything. There's always load of bugs/errors to sort out, wait at least a year, let others road test it. In Tivo's case the error solving is still ongoing.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 20:45   #23
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's never really worthwhile rushing to get the first model of anything. There's always load of bugs/errors to sort out, wait at least a year, let others road test it. In Tivo's case the error solving is still ongoing.
Yep that's my philosophy and has been for many years.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 23:32   #24
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Well, that was not my intention. I admit I was having a bit of a laugh about Richard going to town on his box, but it was not meant unkindly, and to be fair he has raised one or two important issues.

He's still not getting anywhere near my Tivo, though (sorry, Richard)!!
My mother can't wear watches ,they just keep breaking ,wind up ones and battery ones ,Richard can't have Tivo's ,it's the same
Old 27-11-2016, 02:37   #25
OhReally

Quote:
That's a known error on the V6 when used with certain TVs. A software fix is in development, but in the meantime try going into the Video Output Formats settings menus and unticking 1080i.
Are you being serious? They never FULLY tested HD output? Really? Couldn't they afford to buy a few test telly's then...
Old 27-11-2016, 11:17   #26
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Are you being serious? They never FULLY tested HD output? Really? Couldn't they afford to buy a few test telly's then...
How do you think it became a known error?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 11:48   #27
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Of the 6 tuners how many are reserved for recordings/on demand and how many available for live TV Can you still have 3 tuners buffering live TV?
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:07   #28
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

It's exactly the same as TiVo as regards Live TV. All six tuners buffer and are used for recording. No tuner reserved for Live TV.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 19:37   #29
OhReally

Quote:
How do you think it became a known error?
They pushed them out to the public and THEN the complaints started rolling in. It doesn't bode well, after all HDMI is a standard and has been for years.

If they can't catch simple output handshaking errors in internal testing...
Old 28-11-2016, 15:02   #30
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I totally agree. But in Richard's case it sounds he was stuck between a rock and a hard place so he rationally chose the unknown issues of the V6 against his known issues with the Tivo.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote