Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 15-08-2017, 16:57   #136
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Probably, it does make sense.

The music channel Scuzz that was removed from Freesat some time ago is set to return to the platform "later this month" according to its owners.

As more channels join Freesat and it's popularity grows, let's hope that these additions continue.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2017, 19:06   #137
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks Richard
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:08   #138
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

You're welcome.

'Scuzz' has now been added to the Freesat service table & is currently assigned LCN 520. As with 4Music earlier this year, I'd expect this to change. No programme/EPG data yet.

I believe efforts are being made to get it onto 503 where it was until 4 years ago. This would put it with the other Sony channels, but I believe the other channels above it have to agree to this first.

Edit: There's also been a suggestion that Flava "may also be returning soon".

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-08-2017 at 16:14.
Old 18-08-2017, 16:27   #139
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

All I'm really interested in now is HD variants of the non-PSB ITV, C4 and C5 channels going FTA and onto the Freesat EPG. The service has been around for 10 years now, it's about time they secured these basic services, especially from ITV which is supposed to be a principal partner in the organisation.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 18:52   #140
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All I'm really interested in now is HD variants of the non-PSB ITV, C4 and C5 channels going FTA and onto the Freesat EPG. The service has been around for 10 years now, it's about time they secured these basic services, especially from ITV which is supposed to be a principal partner in the organisation.
Well, I think that ITV are more interested in getting money from VM & Sky than anything else, Channel 5 only have their PSB channel in HD so Freesat customers aren't missing out with them.

After the BBC, Channel 4 seem to be more customer focused so I think that some of their other channels are likely to be the first to break free from the pay TV companies.

Now confirmed that Freesports is coming to Freesat:

https://www.freesports.tv
Old 19-08-2017, 13:37   #141
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Channel 4 are also state owned. I can understand ITV's decision up to a point but I think C4 should never have got in bed with Sky.
Old 20-08-2017, 17:37   #142
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Totally agree.

I'm hopeful that they will consider joining Freesat as contracts for their HD channels expire. They were the first PSB commercial channel to unencrypt their main channel, introduce a +1 service for it and to unencrypt the SD variants of their spin off channels and put them onto Freeview/Freesat.
Old 28-08-2017, 19:51   #143
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Freesports have stated that there may be a delay in them joining Freesat by up to a week on channel 252 (I think that this is probably down to Sky taking their time in doing the necessary work at the adaptation hub.)

In the meantime, those who wish to tune in manually can do so on:

]11426 V 27500 FEC 5/6 DVB-S QPSK SID

The temporary service label is 52556, but this should shortly change to 'Freesports'.

Prior to the start date they are showing promotional trailers for the channel.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-08-2017 at 20:25.
Old 31-08-2017, 14:31   #144
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

As I thought, the delay is down to Sky and the estimated date of Freesports appearing on the Freesat (and Sky) EPG's is now 12/9/17.

Viewers can still gain access by tuning in manually using the parameters given above.
Old 08-09-2017, 14:41   #145
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Unfortunately a buyer could not be found and Bike TV is to close.

A statement is due to be made this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As I thought, the delay is down to Sky and the estimated date of Freesports appearing on the Freesat (and Sky) EPG's is now 12/9/17.

Viewers can still gain access by tuning in manually using the parameters given above.
Freesports have stated that, if the channel is successful, they intend to create a HD variant on satellite.
Old 13-09-2017, 16:32   #146
bennyhill
cf.lurker

Services: Tivo (1Tb), blah, blah, blah...
bennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the roughbennyhill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

FreeSports has now appeared on Freesat channel 252.
Bike TV has been removed from Freesat channel 251.

Last edited by bennyhill; 13-09-2017 at 16:46.
bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:54   #147
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Question Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Cheers.

As they were both added and removed on the same day, you'd think that they would have taken the opportunity to prevent a gap and given Freesports 251!
Old 15-09-2017, 01:49   #148
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

POP FUN, the children's on-demand service from Sony, has launched:

Quote:
Kids can now catch up on all their favourite shows from the popular channels POP, Tiny Pop, and Pop Max all in one place and completely free! Available now in the On Demand section, you can pause, rewind or forward loads of brilliant shows whenever you want.
TVPlayer Plus:

Quote:
Popular streaming service TVPlayer Plus is now available on Freesat* TVPlayer Plus offers access to 27 of the world’s biggest TV channels including Discovery, MTV, and Comedy Central all for £5.99 a month, or a £59.99 yearly fee. Available in the On Demand section, TVPlayer Plus allows viewers to watch shows both live and on demand.
Pop Fun is free, whilst tvPlayer Plus is free for a month and then chargeable if you wish to continue. * I believe that to use this service you need to have a Humax box with Freetime/on demand.

What do Freesatters think about pay TV channels being made available on Freesat? My view is that it's better to have the choice, but some may say that this undermines the very essence of Freesat.

Re: Sony TV. This isn't on Freesat, but some of its content is now being shown on truTV since Sony bought it.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-09-2017 at 02:01.
Old 15-09-2017, 15:03   #149
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Link to provide details of any limitations to the above service on Freesat:

https://tvplayer.com/channel-availab...content=473347

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Apparently, the ITV Hub will be available on Freesat to viewers in Northern Ireland from Tuesday 19th September 2017.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:23   #150
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Putting pay services in the on demand section of Freesat is fine with me. The proposition was always free-to-air broadcast TV by satellite, with no blue screens in the middle of your channel hopping with a Sky nag screen asking you to upgrade, which is what you got with an unsubscribed sky box.

The TV market is changing however and Freesat has to respond. Putting these things in the on demand section is unobtrusive and means customers don't have to have an additional box connected to the TV.