Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:01   #1
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point
Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

Hi all

I am currently using my SH3 in the default router mode. Am thinking about getting a 3rd party router and putting the SH3 in modem mode.

I don't have any particular issues with range or speed of the SH3 (apart from the normal drop outs that lots of people seem to experience... but as this seems to be a service issue, rather than a SH issue I don't think replacing with a 3rd party router is going to help with that). Although it would be nice to get a bit better range and speed on the top floor of the house (furthest away from the SH3 but it's still not too bad).

I have read lots of benefits about switching out to 3rd party but are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Thanks in advance...
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

More wires, more power. You have to handle firmware updates. Another box. More blinken lights (I can switch mine off - others likely the same).

More seriously if there is an issue support can be a little harder. VM may ask you to remove 3rd party devices for checking if you do see service issues.

That said support for your new device is likely to be easy to find if you stick to the main vendors but you do have to deal with the fanboi stuff as well (Netsys is better than Linkgear).

I use a router and SH3 in modem mode and have very little problems. I can usually get support without removing my router also as it's normally clear from the SH3 that the issue is between it and VM network (no nice solid magenta light on front).
Old 07-12-2017, 12:23   #3
bolgerp
cf.member

Excellent.... thanks for the advice.... wires and power will be a bit of an issue, to be honest.... I am running out of plug space what with all the various devices! Need to find a clever/aesthetically pleasing way of hiding everything...
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

We have 8 points in the corner where most of our A/V stuff is and that's not enough. One thing to watch out for is some devices have the transformers etc as part of the wall plug with a small low voltage output lead.

1)This can interfere with other sockets/switches depending on how they are set out.
2)This lead can be quite short meaning the kit it plugs into may need to be closer to the socket that if the "block" is connected to the mains by a second lead.

Also generally keep router (or SH3) away from larger electrical stuff and mount as high as you can. This again can be tricky if trying to keep things neat.

But I would still recommend a good 3rd party router.

---
One other disadvantage is sharing your WiFi via the SH3 which in turn lets you use some public points (and other shared points) but I know many on here would count that as an advantage. You could leave the SH3 in router mode to provide the WiFi sharing and use your router for your networks but that can lead to more confusion.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:37   #5
bolgerp
cf.member

Cheers tweetie.... all good things to think about...
Old 07-12-2017, 12:39   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Given your current setup is OK - unnecessary cost.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 19:52   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

tweetiepooh has made some very good points which I wouldn't have even thought of because I think of them as being more "requirements" than disadvantages. That being said, you need to weigh up the pros and cons with everything and the benefits of having your own proper router far far outweigh the minor negatives of an extra power socket and cable. If you have got the dosh I strongly recommend you try and pick up a good Asus in the sale.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote