Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need some help regarding SKY

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Need some help regarding SKY

Old 27-09-2011, 21:04   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Need some help regarding SKY

Hi guys,

I've just spent sometime on SKY's website looking at their packages and then chatted away for about 45 minutes with one of their advisers.

Whilst they answered all of my questions, I wanted to check with you guys who already have SKY if the info I received is 100%

I was informed that I would have the mini-dish and TV within 4 days if ordered tomorrow. It will then take 2 weeks for my land line and a further 2 weeks for my broadband. Is this accurate? 4 days seems pretty quick but 4 weeks without the internet, if I cancel with Virgin tomorrow will be a killer.

Also whilst this is going to be virtually impossible to answer properly, can anyone give me an idea of the upload speed they receive via SKY Broadband unlimited? My estimated download speed is between 12mb & 18mb which I can live with but my upload speed is equally important to me.

Any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2011, 21:16   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Need some help regarding SKY

You overlap and subscribe to vigin and sky so you don't loose Internet
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 21:17   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

My upload is 1.1mb however my download is 9-10mb so not as lucky as you. The TV should be installed no problem on the date given , If you decide to switch I'd give notice on your TV but leave your BB and phone active with VM until Sky activate these.
Order online and get free Sky+ HD box and £25.00 M and S Voucher go through quidco and there's cashback to be had

http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital-tv-and-broadband/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 21:29   #4
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
You overlap and subscribe to vigin and sky so you don't loose Internet
Yeah just phoned Virgin who confirmed I'm outside my 12 months. My bill was only generated 3 days ago so if I cancel now it won't be too much of a hit.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
My upload is 1.1mb however my download is 9-10mb so not as lucky as you. The TV should be installed no problem on the date given , If you decide to switch I'd give notice on your TV but leave your BB and phone active with VM until Sky activate these.
Order online and get free Sky+ HD box and £25.00 M and S Voucher go through quidco and there's cashback to be had

http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital-tv-and-broadband/
Thank for that link, some good deals.

Do SKY customers get anything for referring family and friends? My father-in-law has SKY, just wondering if he can get a little something for "referring" me to SKY.

My main concern in terms of switching all of my services is poor internet upload speeds. I'm hitting 5.9mb at the moment. Does anyone know what SKY's highest upload speed is?
Old 27-09-2011, 21:32   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Yep

http://www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offe...UKesalesSearch

You won't get uploads as good as VM.
Old 27-09-2011, 21:37   #6
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yep

http://www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offe...UKesalesSearch

You won't get uploads as good as VM.
Thanks for the link Muppetman. That £75.00 takes care of my father-in-laws Christmas present!
Old 27-09-2011, 22:08   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

No problem mate , it's a tough decision one I made due to the lack of ESPNA HD and Sky Sports 3/4 HD channels that get watched plenty in our house , only you can decide VM have some excellent points including BB and catchup and OD.
Old 09-10-2011, 20:55   #8
Chad
cf.mega poster

Well I've made the leap. I'm now a SKY customer.
Old 09-10-2011, 22:15   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Well I've made the leap. I'm now a SKY customer.
Hope you enjoy it , if your stuck with anything just ask
Old 10-10-2011, 00:14   #10
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hope you enjoy it , if your stuck with anything just ask
Cheers, you've been a great help so far