Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 13-02-2015, 17:56   #121
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Many talk about on-line access as the way forward but what about those watching who are not on-line, they are in a caravan or tent with a small TV and a FreeView box? Maybe it's not many compared to the population of the UK but they still count.
Old 13-02-2015, 23:22   #122
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Old Boy, I am sorry but I dropping out of this discussion. You appear to be disregarding very logical points (made mainly by others) and changing your ideas every time the points are made.

The license fee is in no way extortionate and (in my eyes) provides fantastic value for money. Just because a few people on here don't like it, does not make it wrong.

With regards to freeview, all that article says to me is that have finally caught up with all the other STB boxes out there by offering. This part of the statement seems to suggest they have no plans to do any of the things you think they will have to do, they are simply offering a catch up service, and still offer it subscription free.

Guy North, managing director of Freeview, said: “Freeview has been built on a vision to make television available to all free from subscription. In the same way that we took the UK from analogue to digital, Freeview Play is the next step in that vision and will put the viewer in control.

“We want to keep television fair and open for everyone. That means giving consumers the freedom to choose the TV they want, the way they want it.”

I could carry on, but I simply have lost the will with this discussion. People are still buying newspapers in a big way (come put the supplements in them at 6 am on a saturday morning to see how popular they still are), and they are still partly ad funded.

I have enjoyed this greatly, but I simply can not carry this on any more. You are right, things will change a little bit, but I think you are wrong about how much and how quickly things will change. Things work far too well now for things to change too much.

I welcome you response, but alas, I am out.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:06   #123
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Old Boy, I am sorry but I dropping out of this discussion. You appear to be disregarding very logical points (made mainly by others) and changing your ideas every time the points are made.

The license fee is in no way extortionate and (in my eyes) provides fantastic value for money. Just because a few people on here don't like it, does not make it wrong.

With regards to freeview, all that article says to me is that have finally caught up with all the other STB boxes out there by offering. This part of the statement seems to suggest they have no plans to do any of the things you think they will have to do, they are simply offering a catch up service, and still offer it subscription free.

Guy North, managing director of Freeview, said: “Freeview has been built on a vision to make television available to all free from subscription. In the same way that we took the UK from analogue to digital, Freeview Play is the next step in that vision and will put the viewer in control.

“We want to keep television fair and open for everyone. That means giving consumers the freedom to choose the TV they want, the way they want it.”

I could carry on, but I simply have lost the will with this discussion. People are still buying newspapers in a big way (come put the supplements in them at 6 am on a saturday morning to see how popular they still are), and they are still partly ad funded.

I have enjoyed this greatly, but I simply can not carry this on any more. You are right, things will change a little bit, but I think you are wrong about how much and how quickly things will change. Things work far too well now for things to change too much.

I welcome you response, but alas, I am out.
I'm sorry you are leaving this discussion, Harry, your contribution has been most welcome.

However, you say I've ignored some important points that others have made; I wasn't aware that I had done that. I do take your points that many people are satisfied with paying the TV licence and lots of people are still buying newspapers, etc.

However, the Government will be reviewing the licence fee in the near future, and there is a lot of speculation that it will be either reduced or abolished. Whatever we personally feel about it, the TV licence fee may be coming to the end of its days. Maybe it will get one final reprieve by the next Government, but I think they will have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

Printed newspapers, like it or not, are becoming increasingly difficult to justify when you look at the declining readership. I believe that most young people these days get their current affairs information on line, rather than through printed newspapers, and I think you will find that all the newspaper titles are preparing for a digital future. They will have to find innovative ways just to maintain existing levels of income, given that most of it comes from advertising.

The changes that are happening right now, such as the Freeview article explained, may seem innocent enough, but you have to face facts. More and more people are choosing to make use of on demand and streaming services and Freeview have just made this easier. There will come a point when on demand viewing is what most people do most of the time. Why would advertisers want to continue to put their money into advertisements on linear channels when an increasing majority of viewers are no longer viewing that way?

I don't think there is only one route to how we are going to get from where we are now to where we will end up, and I don't apologise for having different ideas on what may happen. The scenarios I have painted are often the result of particular questions that people have asked.

Obviously, I cannot foresee the future with any accuracy at all - nobody can - but when you look at what is happening all around you, some trends lead you to inevitable conclusions.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Many talk about on-line access as the way forward but what about those watching who are not on-line, they are in a caravan or tent with a small TV and a FreeView box? Maybe it's not many compared to the population of the UK but they still count.
Just as you can get access to the internet through your mobile phone, you will be able to stream videos while out in your caravan without thinking much of it in twenty year's time.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Of course they are; their heart lies with Rupert. They represent the people for whom Pay TV is an insignificant cost.
But we are paying for our TV now, Passingbat. If the licence fee is abolished, people can choose from other subscription offers that might be more relevant to their tastes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:19   #124
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
However, the Government will be reviewing the licence fee in the near future, and there is a lot of speculation that it will be either reduced or abolished. Whatever we personally feel about it, the TV licence fee may be coming to the end of its days. Maybe it will get one final reprieve by the next Government, but I think they will have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

When are you going to provide evidence that the general public as a whole are dissatisfied with the value they get from the license fee? The government, no matter how Rupert centric they are, won't drastically alter BBC funding against public will.

It reminds me of your claims that Atlantic was coming to VM; despite many requests to supply evidence, you declined to do so.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:25   #125
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
When are you going to provide evidence that the general public as a whole are dissatisfied with the value they get from the license fee? The government, no matter how Rupert centric they are, won't drastically alter BBC funding against public will.

It reminds me of your claims that Atlantic was coming to VM; despite many requests to supply evidence, you declined to do so.
I don't have to provide evidence. The Government is currently looking at whether or not to continue the existing TV licence fee system, you must have seen these reports, surely. It really doesn't matter whether the public are satisfied, what matters is the ideological view taken by the Government of the day.

I've explained on a number of occasions that it was my view that Sky Atlantic would be coming, based on media and other reports. Why did you think that I had some sort of insider knowledge? I don't work for VM or Sky!

If I was a bit overenthusiastic about that prospect, OK, I'll hold my hand up to that. But there were a number of things that were coming together and it was a reasonable expectation that maybe we were going to get a breakthough. Sadly, that didn't happen.
Old 15-02-2015, 15:39   #126
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

But we are paying for our TV now, Passingbat. If the licence fee is abolished, people can choose from other subscription offers that might be more relevant to their tastes.

What services do you think people can get for £12/pm?

And, don't forget, those without broadband will have to use some of that £12 to pay for broadband and they will have to pay for BBC radio and TV shows that they want to watch. Are you planning for that to be 'pay for each show' or a subscription to the BBC as a whole? Because the latter will wipe out a good chunk (if not all) of that £12, and paying per show works out really expensive.

As the American's say, have you done 'The math'?

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Why did you think that I had some sort of insider knowledge?
No, I thought you were living in OLDBOY wishful thinking land.
Old 15-02-2015, 15:51   #127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
What services do you think people can get for £12/pm?

And, don't forget, those without broadband will have to use some of that £12 to pay for broadband and they will have to pay for BBC radio and TV shows that they want to watch. Are you planning for that to be 'pay for each show' or a subscription to the BBC as a whole? Because the latter will wipe out a good chunk (if not all) of that £12, and paying per show works out really expensive.

As the American's say, have you done 'The math'?
I'm projecting about 20 or so years into the future, Passingbat. Things will look different by then.

By the way, Netflix is only £6.99 per month, and look at the content on there.

I take your point that not everyone has broadband at present, and indeed there are many who cannot get it even if they want it because of where they live. However, I remember when neither we nor most of our friends had a telephone. Now just about everyone does. I think life without broadband will ultimately be unthinkable, even for those who cannot comprehend this digital revolution at the present time. Don't forget that those in their fifties now will be in their seventies in twenty years, so fewer people than ever will be confused by the digital services available.

As far as your question is concerned, it really isn't up to me, is it? As I said earlier, ITV are already revamping their model to recognise that it is no longer wise to rely on advertising income alone, although this will always be a part of the solution.

I don't see any substitute offer from the BBC being pay per view - I think it will be subscription based, although maybe they will offer some premium stuff on a PPV basis.
Old 15-02-2015, 16:01   #128
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I'm projecting about 20 or so years into the future, Passingbat.

I thought it was 10?

Quote:
Well I suppose he would say that, wouldn't he?

I expect everything will look so different in 2025.
Old 15-02-2015, 18:23   #129
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I thought it was 10?
Things will look a lot different by 2025, but the process won't be complete by then. I would think in 20 years, the number of linear channels will have diminished to a handful, if that. There simply won't be enough people watching in this way to sustain the advertising.
Old 15-02-2015, 18:38   #130
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Things will look a lot different by 2025, but the process won't be complete by then. I would think in 20 years, the number of linear channels will have diminished to a handful, if that. There simply won't be enough people watching in this way to sustain the advertising.
Time will tell, I remember "Tomorrows World" in the seventies, sadly not much came to fruition.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 19:42   #131
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Time will tell, I remember "Tomorrows World" in the seventies, sadly not much came to fruition.
Ah, Tomorrow's World! I remember it well!!
Old 16-02-2015, 21:46   #132
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Stuff Tomorrow's World being "wrong". I'm more disappointed we far away from the 2015 imagined in Back To The Future 2.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 13:54   #133
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This is the latest on the BBC licence fee, confirming that its continuation is time limited, but that there may be a temporary reprieve. I think, however, this depends on what shape the next Government takes.

Although there are potentially different solutions to the replacement of the licence fee, I do believe that the preferred answer is likely to lie in a subscription based offer. Further savings would result from reducing or abolishing broadcast TV, in favour of VOD and streaming.

Interestingly, they are suggesting a possible levy payable by everyone to entitle them to receive any broadcast rather than a subscription. This will not satisfy those who resent paying the licence fee, which is why I think a Government of a certain complexion won't like that idea.

I know that withdrawing broadcast TV won't please everyone, but I am pretty sure this is the way we are going. The only question for me is how long it will take to get there. Notice that the Committee is talking also about a 10 year period, which I think is do-able if extended to withdrawing broadcast TV. However, my guess is that a 20 year period is more likely politically, given the need to win the public over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31623659

No long-term future for BBC licence fee, MPs say

The TV licence does not have a long-term future and is likely to be replaced by a new levy within the next 15 years, a group of MPs has said.

The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.

The BBC said it agreed the licence fee needed to be modernised.

The select committee's proposals were made in a new report about the future of the BBC.

Catch-up changes

Committee chairman John Whittingdale said: "In the short term, there appears to be no realistic alternative to the licence fee, but that model is becoming harder and harder to justify and sustain."

In light of changing technology and audience habits, the committee said "we do not see a long-term future for the licence fee in its current form".

Any "profound changes" - such as abolishing the licence fee - should not be rushed, the report said. But it did say the BBC "must prepare for the possibility of a change in the 2020s.

"We recommend that as a minimum the licence fee must be amended to cover catch-up television as soon as possible."

It should also no longer be a criminal offence to avoid paying the licence fee, the report said.

The planned BBC One +1 channel does not represent "public service value", the committee said.

The licence fee currently costs £145.50 per year for every household where people watch or record live TV.

A TV licence is not required to watch catch-up TV, using services such as the BBC iPlayer.

One option to replace the licence fee would be to make some BBC services available by subscription.

But the committee said choosing which programmes remained available subscription-free would require careful thought.

The best alternative to the licence fee, the report concluded, would be a compulsory broadcasting levy paid by all households, regardless of whether they watch TV, or how they watch.

The BBC's director of strategy James Purnell, said it was "a very serious and important report".

He said: "They are saying the licence fee should continue for the next years and think the BBC should continue for the next 10 years when its comes up for charter renewal after the election.

"We actually agree with them that the licence fee should be modernised. We have said this should extend to catch-up services, when people are watching catch-up for example on their tablets.

"They have come up with a more radical solution with a broadcast levy where every household would pay."

Such a system was introduced in Germany in 2013 and would do away with the need to detect and prosecute those who avoid buying a TV licence, the committee said.
Old 26-02-2015, 14:19   #134
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

So their solution to the BBC trying to tax every property is: Ta-da! A property tax.
Old 26-02-2015, 14:27   #135
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
So their solution to the BBC trying to tax every property is: Ta-da! A property tax.
Yes! Well it is simple, just tack the charge on to the council tax!

Common sense points to a subscription based model that people can choose to sign up to but common sense does not always win the day, regrettably!