Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Old 30-04-2012, 19:20   #31
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
While I don't play MW3, in MW2 this was not the case. Host was determined by lowest ping, and bandwidth was not a determining factor whatsoever. In fact, this is the case in most games.
I don't see how that can possibly be the case.

Lowest ping to what?

In a peer to peer system with ~16 clients, you cannot measure the ping to some arbitrary destination and decide that the lowest measurement is the best host.

15ms ping to the MW3 server = great, 200ms ping to one of the clients in Australia = useless.

Such a system wouldn't work well as the "best" host could change every time a new player joined and would provide an erratic experience.

Hence most games on Xbox LIVE use two metrics:

Upstream speed
Packet loss
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 19:23   #32
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't see how that can possibly be the case.
Well it is.

Quote:
Lowest ping to what?
To the clients connecting

Quote:
In a peer to peer system with ~16 clients, you cannot measure the ping to some arbitrary destination and decide that the lowest measurement is the best host.
The client measures the ping to every available host and joins the one with the lowest ping.

Quote:
15ms ping to the MW3 server = great, 200ms ping to one of the clients in Australia = useless.
This is a good thing as it prevents you joining hosts in Australia.

Quote:
Such a system wouldn't work well as the "best" host could change every time a new player joined and would provide an erratic experience.
It does exactly that, and in doing so provides close to the best possible experience (in theory, how well it works in practice is debateable)

Quote:
Hence most games on Xbox LIVE use two metrics:

Upstream speed
Packet loss
If that were the case, we'd all be joining hosts in Korea and Hong Kong with their >1Gbps symmetric connections. And 200ms+ of lag. You've basically contradicted yourself with every other statement.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:28   #33
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
The client measures the ping to every available host and joins the one with the lowest ping.
This isn't how matchmaking works in most Xbox LIVE games. Players are matched first and then a host is selected - some people will already be in a "party" together and could be located anywhere in the world (e.g. in Australia and the UK). Many host-based exploits utilise this design to work.

Your suggestion also implies that any console could be a host, despite the possibility that some people won't have enough bandwidth to reliably support a 16 player game, when others in the game would be able to provide a better experience.

Quote:
If that were the case, we'd all be joining hosts in Korea with their >1Gbps connections. And 200ms+ of lag. You've basically contradicted yourself with every other statement.
No, because the matchmaking system doesn't work that way. The system prefers people being located closer together first. If there aren't enough people located close by, then it goes further afield. I've played games with people in Japan, Korea and Northern Europe with very good connections.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:32   #34
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
This isn't how matchmaking works in most Xbox LIVE games. Players are matched first and then a host is selected - some people will already be in a "party" together and could be located anywhere in the world (e.g. in Australia and the UK). Many host-based exploits utilise this design to work.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Your suggestion also implies that any console could be a host, despite the possibility that some people won't have enough bandwidth to support a 16 player game, when others in the game would be able to provide a better experience.
Not everyone has enough bandwidth, but it determines that on a yes/no basis and disables them from ever being hosts. Speed makes no difference on your chance of becoming a host, other than disqualifying you to begin with in the same way as having a misconfigured NAT.

Quote:
No, because the matchmaking system doesn't work that way. The system prefers people being located closer together first. If there aren't enough people located close by, then it goes further afield. I've played games with people in Japan, Korea and Northern Europe with very good connections.
And how exactly does it measure close by?

... By ping.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:38   #35
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Quote:
Incorrect.
Please provide some evidence to support this, because what you say contradicts what Infinity Ward (Call of Duty), Bungie (Halo) and Epic (Gears of War) have said in the past about host selection.

Quote:
Not everyone has enough bandwidth, but it determines that on a yes/no basis and disables them from ever being hosts. Speed makes no difference on your chance of becoming a host, other than disqualifying you to begin with in the same way as having a misconfigured NAT.
This is not correct. Statistics are collected on a continual basis and used to rate each client in the game when determining the host. This ensures that the data used to make a choice is always accurate and not old.

Some games (MW3 being one of them) will change the host mid-game if the initially selected host actually has a poor connection during the game.

Quote:
And how exactly does it measure close by?

... By ping.
No, by using the country of the account. This is available to developers and shown in some game lobbies (e.g. Gears of War 3's "players in your region" count for each playlist).

A region is not defined by ping.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:43   #36
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I have to favour qasdfdsaq interpretation...having played MW3 et al

It measures by ping, and doesn't change host mid-game, unless the host loses connection or just quits
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:44   #37
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=modern+warfare+2+host+selection
Old 30-04-2012, 19:44   #38
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
It measures by ping, and doesn't change host mid-game, unless the host loses connection or just quits
To quote a developer on the game:

"We don't want to be constantly switching the host in the middle of the game, but, if necessary, if the game gets so bad at some point because somebody who had a great connection when it started now doesn't, we'll switch it in-game."

Halo Reach does the same thing.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Quote:
I don't think we're talking about that game.

Nice try with the childish lmgtfy

I'd also note that the search does not produce anything other than pure speculation.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:52   #39
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

sorry qas, MW2 measures it on download speed alone
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 20:12   #40
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Lol. I guess that's why I was always host on my 50mb connection with 1.5mb upload, and never on my 45mb connection with 15mb upload!
Old 30-04-2012, 20:46   #41
lowei
Inactive

Services: BT INFINITY sky hd
lowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about them

As a massive call of duty fan myself, i can play on virgins not so good gaming connection, and when connected as host it runs like there is a lot of lag compensation.
But also have infinity, which i use now for the gaming side of my connection,When host it runs like a dream and all who play with me.
lowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 20:57   #42
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Lol. I guess that's why I was always host on my 50mb connection with 1.5mb upload, and never on my 45mb connection with 15mb upload!
yeah I could never work it out myself, I was on ADSL back then, got changed to fastpath and it made no difference to how often I got picked as host, it made a massive difference when I was host, but it seems to check download speed only from what I could tell running the ps3 through wireshark anyway, when it says "connecting to matchmaking server" thats when it runs the DL speed test, and thats what it bases the host on
Old 30-04-2012, 22:47   #43
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

dumb system then.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06   #44
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
dumb system then.
yeah its completely stupid - thats why you end up joining a game and the host cant even cope with a 4v4 match sometimes, I can only guess at the problem, but apart from high pings, most of it looks like not enough upload speed, and packet loss