Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving/reconnecting cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Superhub

Old 06-03-2012, 21:20   #1
Miserable
Inactive

Miserable is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Superhub

I have been checking for reviews on the virgin media superhub and not very impressed so far. The reason behind the move is that I currently have my modem and router in a bedroom and we are having fitted wardrobes so thought the signal could be affected. VM want to charge £99 to relocate the modem downstairs. I was offered deal to upgrade to 30mgb with a super hub, upgrade to my phone line for a fee and slight increase in £p/m:confused. I was told that with the upgrade they would move my modem downstairs for a cost of £49.
What i am concerned about is the reviews on the superhub have been poor but i cannot get any latest info. Also do I actually need to move my modem and router?
Miserable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2012, 21:31   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Superhub

Enclosing a router inside of a wooden cabinet/wardrobe will slightly reduce the signal. If you are using a separate modem and router then there is nothing to stop you leaving the modem where it is and running an ethernet cable to the router where ever you decide to move it.

The superhub's main problem is the router/wifi side, there's again also nothing to stop you from putting it into modem mode and plugging in your existing router if you decide to go that route..

Lastly...Welcome to the forum..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 21:45   #3
Miserable
Inactive

Miserable is an unknown quantity at this point

Can the super hub be just a modem as I was under the impression that it was all or nothing which many users were disappointed with. Again it has been difficult getting up to date info until someone mentioned this forum to me.
Miserable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 21:51   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The superhub (once automatically upgraded to R30 which it should do soon after installation) allows Modem-Mode which means you can plug your own router into port #1

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Also the 30Mb for your area should be updated to 60Mb sometime this or next month (10Mb will be updated to 30Mb but that wont include the moving of the line you want)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:03   #5
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

For most people I think the superhub is fine. I have mine in my home office upstairs, and have a PC wired into it, and at times have 2x PS3's, 2 laptops, and up to 4x mobiles all connected through wifi. And I personally have had no problems at all.

You have to remember that many people who leave reviews for them are (please excuse the term), computer geeks who often require only the best possible performance.

So although it might not be the best as a wifi hub, it is still better than many I have come across, for most people.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:11   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You could also add a second router in bridge mode and leave the Superhub as-is.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote