Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Old 29-04-2012, 20:50   #16
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
If you want to slow your connection down to avoid MW3’s lag compensation, just find the longest video on YouTube and set it playing on the lappy (there's a repeat function somewhere or other I believe - might be something added to the end of the YouTube URL - Latest Painkiller Already is nearly two and a half hours long anyway), then go off and play MW3.
youtuberepeater and other sites I assume you mean?

2 problems

you tube on a non HD video will only burst highish for a few seconds then slow down to enough speed to just download the rate you playing. On a HD video it will burst high till the video is fulyl loaded tho.
second problem once its downloaded you can repeat to your hearts content without redownloading the video as its cached.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 00:08   #17
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

I guess I meant a stream. In any case, something that maintains a constant bandwidth without maxing out a connection and/or triggering STM (though in theory being STM'd would work too..).

MW3's lag compensation 'punishes' those with good connections in a bid to bring everyone to a level playing field. Stifling your connection to their servers first, apparently bypasses the activation of this throttling, which by all accounts is way too severe. The developers have supposedly acknowledged this and promised a patch.
I don't have a problem myself with it - too busy with real life and family to worry about such things - but the issue is fairly well documented within the COD community, and having a download/stream going while playing apparently gives the desired outcome.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfriend View Post
According to some people on here it's not the game it's VM, even after I posted something similar !
It's not VM. The issue isn't just UK based.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 03:07   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Once again with the clueless rubbish. If you're not maxing out the connection you're not slowing it down so whatever you're streaming will have zero effect.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 03:24   #19
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

what exactly is lag compensation?

if a game developer purposely adds lag to any connection that has high burst speed then they are clueless and I dont think thats happening.
Old 30-04-2012, 03:46   #20
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

if a game developer purposely adds lag to any connection that has high burst speed then they are clueless and I dont think thats happening.
The idea is to compensate for "host advantage", where the host of the game is able to perform actions in the game faster than the other players because they don't have any network latency to the server (the host in the game).

This sounds quite reasonable until you think about how it could be flawed in so many ways.

Clearly a 2 second (i.e. 2000ms) delay (which has been reported by users all over the world) is just not suitable.

Any artificial delay has the potential to cause issues. If you measure that the player has a 250ms advantage at the start of the game and implement an equivalent delay, then that figure could change during the game making the delay unfair for the host or making the situation worse than it otherwise have been.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 04:43   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

ok so the game lags the host, but where does the speed of the connection come into it?
Old 30-04-2012, 09:03   #22
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Once again with the clueless rubbish. If you're not maxing out the connection you're not slowing it down so whatever you're streaming will have zero effect.
Once again with the trolling and insults. Wind your neck in or take it to email with me.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:08   #23
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Once again I would like to remind members to be polite to one another and that IF you have issues with another to use the ignore function.
If you can't then I suggest leaving the thread altogether because if you cannot control your behaviour you face the chance of infractions.
Old 30-04-2012, 12:32   #24
Blackened
Inactive

Quote:

You don't think what's happening? Lag compensation?
From what I remember, they (Activision/Treyarch) introduced it in the last Call Of Duty game too (Black Ops) and it's also present in Modern Warfare 3 (Activision/Infinity Ward).

Quote:
ok so the game lags the host, but where does the speed of the connection come into it?
No idea how it's implemented.
As I say, I don't get chance to play as often as I'd like so I've never looked into it. I'm not even sure I've ever experienced it, but there's a wealth of forum discussion out there about it.

This video from about 2 mins in has side-by-side comparisons of what the player sees and what actually happens (from both players' perspectives) when adversely affected by apparent lag compensation. He explains that the speed everyone in the lobby is set to, is decided upon from an average of the speeds of everyone else. So someone on a lower speed gets a better chance, someone on a higher speed gets slowed down. This is how it would work ideally, but the problem people supposedly have is that it's way over compensated and well, if you watch the video you'll see how he demonstrates that. Apparently, some level of lag compensation for online multiplayer games isn't uncommon - it's just broken in the COD games.
Old 30-04-2012, 14:00   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Connection speed has nothing to do with it, it uses measured latency to determine how much artificial delay to add.
Old 30-04-2012, 18:23   #26
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Connection speed has nothing to do with it, it uses measured latency to determine how much artificial delay to add.
Connection speed is usually used to determine the host though, as the host will require more upstream bandwidth than the other players.

Having a connection with a relatively high amount of bandwidth (i.e pretty much anything higher than the VM 30mbps packages), means that you're likely to be host.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:31   #27
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This is what I expected to be nearer the truth.

What I agree with him on is that artificial lag is just daft. Just let the host have 0ms latency, so what
Old 30-04-2012, 18:49   #28
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

What I agree with him on is that artificial lag is just daft. Just let the host have 0ms latency, so what
Exactly at the end of the day they are the ones supporting the multiplayer and allowing it to work well (or used to).
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:40   #29
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

The problem I think with using it on VM connections is that the connection test, where it decides your latency was falling under the p2p management and being throttled, making the game think that you were a laggy host, so giving you a FAR higher compensation, making the game near impossible to play if you were the host, that was the problem i was having when host on blackops, and that was back when my area was very low utilised
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 20:10   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Connection speed is usually used to determine the host though, as the host will require more upstream bandwidth than the other players.

Having a connection with a relatively high amount of bandwidth (i.e pretty much anything higher than the VM 30mbps packages), means that you're likely to be host.
While I don't play MW3, in MW2 this was not the case. Host was determined by lowest ping, and bandwidth was not a determining factor whatsoever. In fact, this is the case in most games.

Unless this has changed drastically in MW3, I expect the situation will remain the same. In a related note, hosting requirements for most games are in the range of 50-500 kilobits per second. Even my mobile phone gets five times that.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:

I can sort-of see the point of artificial lag.

When I'm host in MW2, I'm often considerably better than when I'm not. Part of it comes down to whether or not you have the reflexes to benefit from an extra 50ms of response time. Incidentally, 50ms of extra response time is also similar to the difference between playing at 15 frames per second verses 60 frames per second. I think most people would find playing a modern FPS at 15fps (lol, giggidy) to be a pretty big disadvantage.