Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 30MB minimum by end of 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

30MB minimum by end of 2012

Old 03-03-2012, 21:48   #61
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 30M minimum by end of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
From what ben has been saying I can guess my config is like this.

after speed doubling 10meg users will goto 20mbit if they got a docsis1 modem or to 30mbit if they have docsis3. I believe I am now on that new 30mbit config which still has the upload associated with the 20mbit account.
There has been no confirmation either way as to whether existing L customers will get anything other than a doubling to 20Mbit
Old 03-03-2012, 22:41   #62
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
From what ben has been saying I can guess my config is like this.

after speed doubling 10meg users will goto 20mbit if they got a docsis1 modem or to 30mbit if they have docsis3. I believe I am now on that new 30mbit config which still has the upload associated with the 20mbit account.

yes or no?

if no why not just say the clear state of play so there is no confusion as what I am observing is staff telling people they wrong but not saying anything else.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...and-speed.html
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:45   #63
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
?

whats the point of that?

ben said my config is for a future package.

there is no future 30meg package listed.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:07   #64
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is funny how the CEOs office allegedly talks bs and now retentions allegedly are as well. Nobody tell the trust apart from 1st line support

I have to admit though, I do agree with Peter on this one. It is one of those common sense things and I said tis before xmas when the speed upgrades were first mentioned. VM have always insisted the shub be an engineer install and there is no way they are going to be able to get hold of enough hubs and have the time to go round to every single customers house (forgetting the logistics of arranging it and making sure people and in when you want them to be) and keep to their rollout timetable.

If they tried rushing 3 million shubs out I can guarantee half of them would go back faulty and that wouldn't make for a very good PR stunt.
I would like to know what they smoke in Retentions.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:08   #65
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
?

whats the point of that?

ben said my config is for a future package.

there is no future 30meg package listed.
That's the *only* speed upgrades that are currently confirmed on VM.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19   #66
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
However as part of this speed uplift program there is a significant amount of proactive network work to allow upgrades to the higher tiers without an engineer required
shouldn't they have done that to start off with and then they could have killed two birds with one stone; improve the network and save themselves a small fortune sending engineers out needlessly to however many homes.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35   #67
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
shouldn't they have done that to start off with and then they could have killed two birds with one stone; improve the network and save themselves a small fortune sending engineers out needlessly to however many homes.
To be honest, I'd say it probably was better use of the available resources to target network work just to those installs that required it

For a mass uplift however, the numbers work differently - especially as you are taking all 20Mbit customers and uplifting them to 60Mbit, which would be unviable to do via engineer installs
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24   #68
ssr
Inactive

ssr is on a distinguished roadssr is on a distinguished road

To fully explain why I rang retentions, is that Virgin rang me from overseas somewhere, and the sales guy offered 30M upgrade from 10M free for three months (I have the superhub) then in June a £5.00 upgrade charge, which would be ONE OFF and no charge after that.
This seemed like a good deal to me but was wary of the one off charge, hence I rang retentions; they had the 30M upgrade on their system but knew nothing of the one off charge, so the deal offered was cancelled, but as a goodwill gesture left the 30M on but advised to check for cancellation charges before April 8th as this is the date for the new packages to start. He then confirmed my first post!
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:44   #69
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr View Post
To fully explain why I rang retentions, is that Virgin rang me from overseas somewhere, and the sales guy offered 30M upgrade from 10M free for three months (I have the superhub)
So now we are getting somewhere as you already have a Superhub which makes an upgrade for you a simple changing of the Docsis file which Retentions can do over the phone, maybe you should have mentioned that in your first post.

Now as for upgrading everyone else on a STANDARD MODEM to 30Mb that is never going to happen due to the costs and logistics involved, the is no way they are going to stump up for 3 million plus Superhubs totally for free just because some fool on something in Retentions told you so.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:13   #70
ssr
Inactive

My mistake sorry

A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:19   #71
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My mistake sorry

A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.
http://www.brainyquote.com/

In case you run out
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:43   #72
ssr
Inactive

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 16:25   #73
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
My mistake sorry

I take it you still chose to believe the retentions agent, well maybe the following will help you realise his error.

Just 3 weeks ago I was a 1st line broadband technical support agent for Virgin Media and by virtue of doing that job I had access to everything that agent should have also had access to and the no way that Virgin Media are going to suddenly do away with any lower tiers such as the new 5Mb, 20Mb and even some lucky customers who will go to 30Mb on the say so of an agent desperate to get a sale.

The reason I am no longer working for them can be found HERE I am now in another position working for a large multinational company.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:41   #74
ssr
Inactive

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I take it you still chose to believe the retentions agent, well maybe the following will help you realise his error.

Just 3 weeks ago I was a 1st line broadband technical support agent for Virgin Media and by virtue of doing that job I had access to everything that agent should have also had access to and the no way that Virgin Media are going to suddenly do away with any lower tiers such as the new 5Mb, 20Mb and even some lucky customers who will go to 30Mb on the say so of an agent desperate to get a sale.

The reason I am no longer working for them can be found HERE I am now in another position working for a large multinational company.
No sales talk took place apart from cancelling the overseas contract offer
Old 04-03-2012, 19:39   #75
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

No sales talk took place apart from cancelling the overseas contract offer
Whoever you spoke to was telling you porkies.