Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dixons Coverplan

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Dixons Coverplan

Old 30-03-2005, 14:26   #16
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
Re: Dixons Coverplan

cos they may swap it and want the borked one back.... we will see
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2005, 14:27   #17
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Yes I do! But luckily for me it's for one of their good stores. Creative are unlikely to just swap it, unless their warranty is 2 years? In a way you having a coverplan is a good thing. If the player only has a 12 month warranty and you'd bought it elsewhere, like Dabs.com or Overclockers, then you'd be stuffed, they wouldn't swap it. I'll check at work (or I can phone them if you can give me the product number and model), then if it code 5 you can have my name and march down to your store and get it replaced! (What store is it, I could check stock for you too!).
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 14:27   #18
tabatha
Inactive

tabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to alltabatha is a name known to all

Just a thought.....

If Creative change the product will the cover plan be void?
Do Dixons tie in a serial num to the cover plan?
tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 14:29   #19
Strzelecki
Inactive

Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

No they don't and the coverplan won't be void if it's not used to swap the player.
Old 30-03-2005, 14:36   #20
Dave Stones
Inactive

Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age

nah the serial number is not tied to the coverplan, but creative have requested the serial, model and firmware number im thinking that when they deliver my new one, mr parcel man will take away the old one at the same time... similar to like what orange do with broken phones, etc...

its dixons XL in bullring, birmingham...

if it is still open... they were murmuring about closing it down not too long ago

the number on the receipt is 0000157851... im assuming this is the product number/POS code? its a crative zen micro 5gb white
Old 30-03-2005, 14:37   #21
Strzelecki
Inactive

that's correct. They may also as for your credit/debit card number (like maxtor do when you use thier fast drive swap service), then if the get the broken one back and there's nothing wrong with it or it's malicously damaged they'll charge your card. So you're swapping straight with creative and don't need me to check anything?
Old 30-03-2005, 14:40   #22
Dave Stones
Inactive

well you can check if you really want best to have all options open . my conact at creative was someone called joep, im not entirely sure i'm dealing with anyone on this planet there, despite how friendly they are
Old 30-03-2005, 14:44   #23
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Under the revised Sale of Goods act, the onus in on the retailer (Dixons) in the 1st 6 months to prove that the fault was not there from new, & therefore that it is of merchantable quailty.

Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 14:46   #24
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I had a creative zen player which I bought at curry's. It developed a fault, (one horizontal line on the display wasn't working) within a month. It took it back about two months after I bought it, and they replaced it without a problem.
Old 30-03-2005, 14:48   #25
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
<snip>Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.
That's what I thought when we got Sky (from Dixons), but the guy who served us explained it as the first year being covered by Dixons (the store) and the following 3 years being covered by the Coverplan.

However, I swear to God he was only about 13, so I made him go and get his manager, who confirmed it for me. Might be mean, but I didn't think that a pre-pubescent would know for sure! Oh well, if Dixons want to use child-labour, who am I to complain?

Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 15:37   #26
Strzelecki
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Under the revised Sale of Goods act, the onus in on the retailer (Dixons) in the 1st 6 months to prove that the fault was not there from new, & therefore that it is of merchantable quailty.

Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.
Ah sorry, I misread the very first post! Of course take it back to a store and they will replace it for you as it's under initial warranty. And I've just checked, under the 1st 12 months it is a code 5 product that will be exchanged in store. Just take it back to a Dixons (according the the website the Dixons XL is still open) or call the number on the top of your receipt first to check stock availability in that store. After the 12 months then it will be repaired under the coverplan by Microgenetics. But at the moment you can just have a swap in store. Hope that clears things up!
Old 30-03-2005, 16:40   #27
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

I rarely have much difficulty with stores, indeed I rarely have to return anything.

But Dixons....Grrrrrrrrrr, I have never bought anything from Dixons for the last 18 or so years. I once had a big slanging match after they refused to replace the second faulty item I had taken back the same day. Customers were very amused at me telling them what I thought about them, and their shoddy useless products.
Old 30-03-2005, 16:43   #28
Dave Stones
Inactive

it was pure chance i bought my mp3 player from dixons, at the time the player was at its original full price (£180 or thereabouts). i was going to buy it online, but the man at the counter seemed very interested in haggling, i got the player, some £30 sony headphones and the £60 worth of coverplan for £205. Obviously very interested in meeting his quota, im not complaining

the one gripe i have though, is that the receipt says that "to return for full refund within 28 days with no fuss etc, return the product totally unopened" etc... yet before i had even paid for it, the man had opened the box and disposed of the cellophane in order to show me all the features of the product, before i could even open my mouth to protest...
Old 30-03-2005, 16:50   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
the one gripe i have though, is that the receipt says that "to return for full refund within 28 days with no fuss etc, return the product totally unopened" etc... yet before i had even paid for it, the man had opened the box and disposed of the cellophane in order to show me all the features of the product, before i could even open my mouth to protest...
That is dodgy as hell. I bought my first ever mobile phone from Dixons, and the assistant opened the box at the counter to 'make sure everything was there' (this was long before the days anybody would register a new phone for you in-store).

When I got the thing home it was completely dead and had to get returned for a replacement. It was only then that I remembered that he didn't even have to break a seal to open the box. I have always believed that he sold me a returned item that he knew was faulty, just to get his commission. Opening the box for me, of course, prevented me getting it home and finding the seal tampered with.

In your case, opening the cellophane pretty much barred you from returning the thing under the no-quibble guarantee. A coincidence? I think not.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:54   #30
Dave Stones
Inactive

yeah, didnt think anything of it at the time. i just noticed it as i was musing through the leaflet that they gave me, it specifically says it has to be unopened at all. they should have the same returns policy as my place of work, we only forbid returns for money in the 12 months of they are un-returnable/unsellable again... even then the amount of checks we have to go through are numerous. and even if they have been opened/whatever, the person gets vouchers anyway...