Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

Old 09-10-2008, 18:44   #1
VirginMediaGuy12
Inactive

VirginMediaGuy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

Hi guys,

I just recently set up a wireless network with virgin media.

I used the netgear router that came free as part of the installation.

I completed the installation using the software virgin provided.

I now want to change the password I originally set up on the network.

I've tried a bunch of things but no luck so far.

Can anyone let me know how I could change the wireless network password?

thanks
VirginMediaGuy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 23:26   #2
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page should now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.
Old 11-10-2008, 18:17   #3
VirginMediaGuy12
Inactive

Thanks for the advice, however, I couldn't solve the problem.

We have two routers in the house.

We have the cable modem from virgin which goes into a wired router (linksys). This wired router then leads into the wireless router (netgear) for which I want to change the password.

The problem is that the ip address http://192.168.1.1/ leads to the linksys router.

Any ideas how I could find the ip address of our wireless netgear router?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 18:21   #4
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaGuy12 View Post
Thanks for the advice, however, I couldn't solve the problem.

We have two routers in the house.

We have the cable modem from virgin which goes into a wired router (linksys). This wired router then leads into the wireless router (netgear) for which I want to change the password.

The problem is that the ip address http://192.168.1.1/ leads to the linksys router.

Any ideas how I could find the ip address of our wireless netgear router?

Thanks
That is the login address of the Virgin router also, you need to be connected directly to the Netgear router as in my instructions above and do not have your Linksys router connected.
Old 12-10-2008, 23:22   #5
whydoIneedatech

Did you manage to sort it.
Old 13-10-2008, 16:25   #6
VirginMediaGuy12
Inactive

unfortunately not.

I did what you said and connected to the netgear router on the ip address you suggested. I entered the passwords on the bottom of my router similar to the ones you suggested, but it only led to more screens asking for passwords which kept recycling. So I don't know what the problem is.

I have reset the router (using the reset button on the router), but my virgin media set up software is saying that i am trying to use a non virgin media device so i can't establish a new network.

So I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas?
Old 13-10-2008, 19:16   #7
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
unfortunately not.

I did what you said and connected to the netgear router on the ip address you suggested. I entered the passwords on the bottom of my router similar to the ones you suggested, but it only led to more screens asking for passwords which kept recycling. So I don't know what the problem is.

I have reset the router (using the reset button on the router), but my virgin media set up software is saying that i am trying to use a non virgin media device so i can't establish a new network.

So I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas?
UNINSTALL ALL VIRGIN SOFTWARE

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem,reinsert the disk and follow the instructions to the letter.

Ensure that you actually have the wireless switched on on your computer, do not assume it is on, the should be a switch.

-----------------------------------------------

Quick router set up

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

------------------------------------------------------------
YOU CAN ALSO TRY THIS WAY AFTER REMOVING THE SOFTWARE AS ABOVE

------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection.

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.
Old 14-10-2008, 20:22   #8
VirginMediaGuy12
Inactive

hey whydoIneedatech,

Thanks for all the advice, I've finally got it working now.

For your reference here's how I got it all working in the end.

1) Reset the router as you instructed.

2) Used your instructions for installation without the VM cd.

In my opinion the problem was VM software. It always had issues recognising the netgear router that came with the VM package as a VM device. I tried it again using your instructions above but it didn't work. It wasn't until I didn't use the software that all the problems were solved.

Thanks again
Old 14-10-2008, 20:39   #9
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
hey whydoIneedatech,

Thanks for all the advice, I've finally got it working now.

For your reference here's how I got it all working in the end.

1) Reset the router as you instructed.

2) Used your instructions for installation without the VM cd.

In my opinion the problem was VM software. It always had issues recognising the netgear router that came with the VM package as a VM device. I tried it again using your instructions above but it didn't work. It wasn't until I didn't use the software that all the problems were solved.

Thanks again
Most people install OK with the software, but if you call in we tend to do as you have done and follow the instruction I posted above in order to get people connected
Old 20-10-2009, 23:58   #10
surfer69
Inactive

surfer69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah! this worked for me too.
After my Buffalo WiFi router died and I had to fall back to my Virgin router 'cos of major pressure from the family.

Still I suppose with 8 pcs, a server and an Android phone on the network it's not a wonder the Buffalo died.
surfer69 is offline   Reply With Quote