Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free Criminal Record Check

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Free Criminal Record Check
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 14:36   #1
BigDave1
Permanently Banned

BigDave1 is a jewel in the roughBigDave1 is a jewel in the roughBigDave1 is a jewel in the roughBigDave1 is a jewel in the roughBigDave1 is a jewel in the rough
Free Criminal Record Check

EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT COME ON HERE EXPECTING TO BE ABLE TO FIND OUT SOMEONE'S CRIMINAL BACKGROUND OR ASKING IF THERE IS ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET A FREE CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK - THIS CANNOT BE DONE AND YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2006, 14:40   #2
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Free Criminal Record Check

I wouldn't think there would be one for all manner of data protection and privacy reasons.

Certain jobs can have applicants vetted by going through a government agency but I don't think criminal records are available to the general public.
Old 03-04-2006, 15:23   #3
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

If you run a business/organisation that requires employees to have a CRB check done the employees/potential employees have to complete a form which you provide and apply themselves. More details here
Old 03-04-2006, 15:31   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
If you run a business/organisation that requires employees to have a CRB check done the employees/potential employees have to complete a form which you provide and apply themselves. More details here
thanks for that link, Angua

as the Rehabilation of Offenders Act allows for

Quote:
Once a conviction is ‘spent’, the convicted person does not have to reveal it or admit its existence in most circumstances.
I would imagine that would preclude 'public' access to any database.

Old 03-04-2006, 15:47   #5
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Any individual can get a Basic Criminal Record check on-line through Disclosure Scotland.

Whilst not free (£20) it is available to anyone with a UK address and does not show 'spent' convictions.

You can also obtain a copy of all convictions recorded on the Police National Computer by application to your nearest Police Station. It takes up to 40 days and costs £10 per person. Download forms from the web site of your local Police authority.

I should add the info. available is that which applies to the applicant only (you have to give ID proofs).
Old 04-04-2006, 19:46   #6
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.
Old 05-04-2006, 23:48   #7
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Don't forget that the Rehabilition of Offenders Act (Spent Convictions) does not apply in some circumstances..
Old 27-10-2007, 16:50   #8
liam130
Inactive

liam130 is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya people does any1 know where i can get a free criminal record check on a person please.
Old 27-10-2007, 17:01   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam130 View Post
hiya people does any1 know where i can get a free criminal record check on a person please.
You can't get a check on someone else without their permission. If it's for yourself (or you get the 3rd party's permission) then you still have to pay, I believe it's around £45.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-10-2007, 18:07   #10
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

It has always seems strange to me that you can attend court and obtain the names of the defendants and details of the cases as they are going on and newspapers print the stories.

Why though is this not listed on a web as a searchable database, I don't see how it has anything to do with data protection. I have been looking for details on someone locally, I have found a newspaper report from a court case where he stabbed someone 3 years ago, so what would be the difference if that info was available on the court website?
Old 28-10-2007, 13:00   #11
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Join the police if you want information like that.

You can apply for a subject access report from the police records it will cost around 10 quid.

I had to submit one as i work for TNT but you can't get one in someone elses name or find out about another person.

That information is not for public access.
Old 28-10-2007, 18:38   #12
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
Join the police if you want information like that.
Except you can't just check the PNC for information when you want a giggle. You need to have valid reasons for running a check on someone and if you get caught looking at things you shouldn't be you can be in *big* trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
That information is not for public access.
Maybe it should be though. On one hand there is the whole 'No smoke without fire' where the public might think they just got off with it due to smart lawyers and loopholes and extract some street justice.
On the other hand it might be useful to show a bit more transparency in the process letting the public see what people are charged with and how its resolved. It would also let them see sentencing overall rather than just the headline cases.

Personally I think it should be more open. I'd be happy to see the courts entire business displayed which would show how many people don't turn up, have cases delayed or plead guilty at the last moment to get the reduction in sentence.
Old 28-10-2007, 19:52   #13
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave1 View Post
Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You
You have to pay for them I'm affraid Dave, it's a bit of a con because when the old checks used to be used the local Police station did them all, all you did was filled in your name and address and gave it to the guy on the desk, the same thing happens now only with an agency in the middle, you phone the CRB offce up in Liverpool and ask them for a enhanced CRB form, they'll send you one when it suits them, when you get it you'll fill it in and furnish the form with £40 of the old english. When your form gets to Liverpool they'll open it put it in a file for it to be processed. When the fell like it they'll send it to your local police station for any criminal convictions to be added to it, if your local police station have a backlog you could be waiting upto 4 months, when the police have finished with it they'll send it back to Liverpool for them to open it then process it again and leave it in a file for god knows how many days or weeks, they'll then put it in a print que for it to be printed, when it's been printed they'll send it back to you.

Basically it's done a full circle, nothing has changed from when the old system was used a few years ago before Ian Huntly went on his murdering spree, like I mentioned above when the police used to do them on their own the system was much quicker, it used to take 10 days at the most to get your records back, the government have created a new department run by Centrica making millions of pounds each year from people who need these enahnced CRB checks to enable them to work, I'd sooner give the money to the police, they could make better use of it. Most of you will have heard of Centrica they are the ones who make billions of pounds a year running government departments.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.
Any convictions which are classed as spent cannot be held against you when applying for any job, sexual offences come under a different catagory I think.

Old 28-10-2007, 19:55   #14
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
Except you can't just check the PNC for information when you want a giggle. You need to have valid reasons for running a check on someone and if you get caught looking at things you shouldn't be you can be in *big* trouble.

Maybe it should be though. On one hand there is the whole 'No smoke without fire' where the public might think they just got off with it due to smart lawyers and loopholes and extract some street justice.
On the other hand it might be useful to show a bit more transparency in the process letting the public see what people are charged with and how its resolved. It would also let them see sentencing overall rather than just the headline cases.

Personally I think it should be more open. I'd be happy to see the courts entire business displayed which would show how many people don't turn up, have cases delayed or plead guilty at the last moment to get the reduction in sentence.
I totally agree.
Old 28-10-2007, 20:00   #15
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
You can't get a check on someone else without their permission. If it's for yourself (or you get the 3rd party's permission) then you still have to pay, I believe it's around £45.
When I was Taxi driving in Mansfield Russ I got whiff of someone who'd been given a badge by Mansfield Council who'd got 6 convictions for gross indecency against children plus he'd got loads of other convictions against him, the drivers kicked up a stink so I went on a mission, I got a hold of this guys CRB via a person who shall remain anon, anyway his forms came back to me and they were 4 pages long, he was also operating under a few different names, I took the forms to the Council, theuy asked me where I got them from? I didn't reveal my source but I told them if they let this guy carry on driving a taxi in Mansfield with his past convictions I'll go to the press and the local TV and radio stations, within 4 hours they'd revoked his badge and told him he couldn't drive a taxi in Mansfield, the Council phoned me up and told me that they'd revoked his badge, I'd already been to the press and given them copies of his enhanced CRB records check, It's easy when you know people in the right places

Closed Thread