Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 18:07   #2536
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

I do not disagree with you Chris it is involved and more complicated. What I was trying to put over was the fact that the repeal of the ECA 1973 would have to be debated by Parliament. Triggering of A50 does not. Catch 22.

Which comes first?

Surely Parliament should be pushing for a debate on repeal of the Act not the triggering of A50?

As EU rules state that membership will be ended 2yrs after triggering of A50 does that mean the ECA 1973 has no bearing on membership?

I can see a lot of dummies being spat out of the pram over the next coupple of years.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2016, 18:51   #2537
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I do not disagree with you Chris it is involved and more complicated. What I was trying to put over was the fact that the repeal of the ECA 1973 would have to be debated by Parliament. Triggering of A50 does not. Catch 22.

Which comes first?

Surely Parliament should be pushing for a debate on repeal of the Act not the triggering of A50?

As EU rules state that membership will be ended 2yrs after triggering of A50 does that mean the ECA 1973 has no bearing on membership?

I can see a lot of dummies being spat out of the pram over the next coupple of years.
A50 states that countries wishing to leave must do so "in accordance with it's own constitutional process" if that constitutional process states that 72 mp's must stand on their heads and go wibble wobble then that would be what happens ,ours states Parliament must repeal the legislation that makes us part of the EU and since A50 is part of that process the high court has judged both must be done by Parliament .No catch 22

Old 07-11-2016, 08:43   #2538
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I wonder if the funding for the legal case is a no expense spared exercise as the government has been busy telling us for the last 6 years or so that there is no money so its all cuts cuts cuts.

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
How many real journalists are there left at any major newspaper?
Maggy remember the time we discussed that actress who pretended to be on welfare? and then someone on here said its perfectly fine for papers to speculate instead of printing the truth.

Seems its got even worse now.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:00   #2539
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

Which comes first?

Well that's the government's case, more or less. The court's judgment, more or less, is that the distinction is false as one leads inevitably to the other, so they must be treated not as separate but one and the same.

Incidentally, the European Communities Act was passed in 1972, not 1973.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:34   #2540
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

If the government said Article 50 was revocable then I guess they could win the appeal but that itself would create problems.

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-court-on-day/

Quote:
Nigel Farage is planning to lead a 100,000-strong march to the Supreme Court to coincide with the start of the Government’s attempt to stop peers and MPs delaying Brexit.

The march, organised by the anti-European Union campaign Leave.EU, will end with a rally in Parliament Square within sight of the court building where judges will be hearing the appeal.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57   #2541
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If the government said Article 50 was revocable then I guess they could win the appeal but that itself would create problems.

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-court-on-day/
One in ten Englishmen died in the English Civil War from 1642 to 1646 which established the Sovereignty of Parliament. If Nigel Farage has any respect for this country's history he will call this divisive march off.
I think his real issue is that votes for UKIP don't translate into seats in Parliament so his voice in the debate will be less strong. If so, he has a valid point but it's difficult to reform an electoral system which stops you getting elected.
Old 07-11-2016, 13:35   #2542
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

This needs a MP vote.

The referendum is not binding, and its undemocratic to not put it through parliament.

Mrs May has a sound case she keeps saying, why is she so worried about putting it to a vote?
Old 07-11-2016, 14:14   #2543
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters
Case argues Vote Leave and Leave.EU made ‘knowingly misleading’ assertions of fact, including claim EU cost UK £350m a week"
"The director of public prosecutions is considering a complaint that voters were misled by the Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigns, in contravention of electoral law.
The complaint about “undue influence” on the referendum campaign has been submitted by an independent group, spearheaded by Prof Bob Watt, an expert in electoral law from the University of Buckingham."
"Watt and his colleagues who have prepared the case say it centres on “instances where the leave campaigns continued to make assertions of fact that were knowingly misleading”, including the oft-cited claim of the EU costing the UK £350m a week.
That claim, made by Vote Leave, was contrary to evidence from the Office for National Statistics, Watt said. Other instances cited to the DPP include alleged misrepresentations on pro-Brexit leaflets that Nissan and Unilever supported leaving the EU.
Watt also cited Vote Leave’s posters that claimed “Turkey is joining the EU”, as well as the assertion that “the UK has no border controls whilst in the EU” when billions are spent on the UK Border Agency.
Some other cases had been excluded, Watt said, including George Osborne’s so-called “punishment budget” in support of remain, because it was “an expression of opinion” rather than a matter of fact."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-misled-voters
Old 07-11-2016, 14:18   #2544
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters
Case argues Vote Leave and Leave.EU made ‘knowingly misleading’ assertions of fact, including claim EU cost UK £350m a week"
"The director of public prosecutions is considering a complaint that voters were misled by the Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigns, in contravention of electoral law.
The complaint about “undue influence” on the referendum campaign has been submitted by an independent group, spearheaded by Prof Bob Watt, an expert in electoral law from the University of Buckingham."
"Watt and his colleagues who have prepared the case say it centres on “instances where the leave campaigns continued to make assertions of fact that were knowingly misleading”, including the oft-cited claim of the EU costing the UK £350m a week.
That claim, made by Vote Leave, was contrary to evidence from the Office for National Statistics, Watt said. Other instances cited to the DPP include alleged misrepresentations on pro-Brexit leaflets that Nissan and Unilever supported leaving the EU.
Watt also cited Vote Leave’s posters that claimed “Turkey is joining the EU”, as well as the assertion that “the UK has no border controls whilst in the EU” when billions are spent on the UK Border Agency.
Some other cases had been excluded, Watt said, including George Osborne’s so-called “punishment budget” in support of remain, because it was “an expression of opinion” rather than a matter of fact."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-misled-voters
If that succeeds every election/referendum ever would be null and void. Politicians having to tell the truth and deliver what they promise ?? it's just not how its done.
Old 07-11-2016, 14:29   #2545
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If that succeeds every election/referendum ever would be null and void. Politicians having to tell the truth and deliver what they promise ?? it's just not how its done.
It's not about delivering what they promise it's about continuing to make statements of fact like the £350m to the EU that were knowingly misleading. The aim is to try and prevent this type of thing happening in the future.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 07-11-2016 at 14:32.
Old 07-11-2016, 14:43   #2546
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It is true the EU referendum had the most outrageous porkies . I honestly believe brexiters didn't expect to win or that they would be expected to deliver on the 'promises'. The fact that we've just accepted they lied, and its fair enough to lie to win, is a depressing statement about our politics.
Old 07-11-2016, 14:54   #2547
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It is true the EU referendum had the most outrageous porkies . I honestly believe brexiters didn't expect to win or that they would be expected to deliver on the 'promises'. The fact that we've just accepted they lied, and its fair enough to lie to win, is a depressing statement about our politics.
Totally agree. They felt that lying was worth it as it was a once-in-a-liftime opportunity to leave the EU and every vote counted. It was a shame the BBC let them get away with many erroneous statements.
What I hope is that this enables politics in this country to get cleaned up.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Brussels asks UK to detail deal with Nissan
EU to clarify Japanese carmaker has been pledged no state aid

"European Union competition regulators have asked Britain to explain its commitments to Nissan in exchange for the carmaker’s agreement to build new models in the north of England, amid speculation among UK opposition politicians that the company may have been offered a sweetheart deal."
"An EU official said that the commission’s inquiries were “standard practice” in response to these kinds of reports, and did not necessarily indicate that it has any suspicions."
https://www.ft.com/content/6752a104-...8-79a99e2a4de6
(Non-subscribers can access the full article by Googling the headline in bold type)
Old 07-11-2016, 18:26   #2548
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

I voted Leave and I've heard nothing post-Brexit that changes my mind. I voted Leave and you're Leaving with me.

Carp all you like, c'est la démocratie .
Old 07-11-2016, 19:14   #2549
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
I voted Leave and I've heard nothing post-Brexit that changes my mind. I voted Leave and you're Leaving with me.

Carp all you like, c'est la démocratie .
some are walking away with dignity others are kicking and screaming ahhhhhh its pathetic and hard to watch as they desperately try to hold on to their beloved but failed EU experiment ,ah well never mind any one want a humbug
Old 07-11-2016, 20:58   #2550
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
More one sided clap trap. Lies on BOTH sides and the leave side WON. Put away those sour grapes, it's getting old now.
Closed Thread