Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dishonest and underhanded.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

iplayer erratic, not buffering as quick, high definition or sd?please advise...

Old 30-04-2012, 18:59   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
iplayer erratic, not buffering as quick, high definition or sd?please advise...

hey guys

i had a superhub installed today and the net seems to be slower and erratic. sometimes it shows as connected or the small computer icons on windows is not showing the 'bright blue' connection symbol

and when i try and watch something on iplayer it doesnt buffer and says content is unavailable?

is there an easy fix? or do i have to ring up virgin?

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 22:22   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: iplayer erratic, not buffering as quick, high definition or sd?please advise...

funnily enough a few people have said in the past that they have had problems streaming video once they moved to the shub. Losing your little globe isnt good because that means your pc is losing its intenet connection and possible its network connection full stop. If I were you I would give tech support a ring the next time it happens and get a new shub and if you still have a problem, put it in modem mode and continue to use your old router or treat yourself to a new one. The shub is flawed in many way and this is only one of them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:01   #3
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Re: iplayer erratic, not buffering as quick, high definition or sd?please advise...

On the 'Services' page in the Shub's advanced settings, untick 'Firewall Features', 'Port Scan Detection' and 'IP Flood Detection'. You may as well also set the MTU to 1500 manually and tick 'Respond to ping' on the 'DMZ Host' page and turn on UPnP in the relevant page as well. Remember to set up your wifi security to WPA2 AES only and manually select a free wifi channel (scan with one of the free tools you can google up on your wireless PCs or using a similar tool on Android phones).

Update your PC lan drivers if available. Check any wired connections. Try a different piece of ethernet cable if you can. If you are actually losing network connection to the router on a wired connection with a known good lan card and ethernet cable then the Shub may be faulty. Get a replacement.

By the way, the Shub is using then new Shub power supply isn't it? Not the old one from your previous modem...? ~
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08   #4
wakkaday
cf.addict

hi i made the settings, it still seems to be the same, slow and not loading hd..general web browsing seems fine.

my old router hub has been taken by the engineer, im not sure if the power supply was changed or the old existing one..
Old 01-05-2012, 21:12   #5
wakkaday
cf.addict

hi . i changed my wireless channel to 6 from auto and it working fine if anyone else is experience problems. also try 11 if that doesnt work