Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ZX Spectrum's chief designers reunited 30 years on

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

ZX Spectrum's chief designers reunited 30 years on

Old 26-04-2012, 11:13   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ZX Spectrum's chief designers reunited 30 years on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I had a 48k spectrum rubber keys and seperate tape...I eventually moved onto the 128k with the built in tape...waiting 30 mins for a game to load for it to eventually crash at the end of loading lol.

When you think now some games were like £30 a time...easy to copy as well
Back in the day we setup a club called "Does It Copy Klub"
Old 26-04-2012, 18:37   #17
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Some games were like £30????

Jeebus dunno what shop you went to... £9.99 I think was the top price for games before the Coupe.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 18:54   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Micro Men, broadcast on BBC4 last year, is a great window on what went on during the early 80s computer boom. It tells the story of Clive Sinclair and his growing rivalry with Chris Curry, his one-time employee who left him to establish Acorn and then whip the BBC Computer contract from under his nose.

The BBC's aim was to put a computer in every school, and, with Acorn, it did - but Sinclair arguably did better out of the deal by producing a smaller, cheaper machine that became the computer in every bedroom.

There's a great scene in the film where Curry (played by Martin Freeman) goes into a shop and sees row upon row of Spectrum games, then has to ask if there are any for the BBC. The shop assistant has to have a good hard think about it before pointing him at a small selection of tapes hidden in a far corner. . I remember this experience well, being the proud owner of a BBC model B, but at no stage did I wish we had got a Spectrum instead. The BBC was easier to programme, easier to load things into (programmes loaded from the tape block by block and the computer would tell you immediately if it failed to read a block properly - you could rewind the tape only a second or so and it would pick up where it left off). The games were also a lot better too, in terms of graphics and sound - quality over quantity, I say. With the odd exception of Manic Miner, which for some odd reason was ported to the Beeb by someone who thought it would be a great idea to make it look and sound identical to the Spectrum version. Bizarre.

The ultimate tragedy for Sinclair was that he always saw home computers as a side show and pursued the market only insofar as it made him the money he needed to invest in things he thought people really wanted, like the C5.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote