Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coaxial Cable

Old 27-06-2012, 22:46   #1
Radiation
Inactive

Radiation is an unknown quantity at this point
Coaxial Cable

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice please.

I want to move my TIVO box to the other corner of our living room and phoned Virgin and was told it would cost £99 for an technician to come out but advised me i can buy the cable from various shops.

Is the coaxial cable virgin use any type of quality and can i get the same quality from places like Amazon and B&Q etc ??

Cheers.
Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2012, 00:35   #2
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Coaxial Cable

Just call up and say the picture on your TiVo keeps freezing and blocking. Then they'll book an engineer to come and fix that imaginary problem. Then when they arrive just say you want the box moved, it will be an easier job for the engineer as he won't need to try and locate and fix a fault but just simply move a box.
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 16:56   #3
Radiation
Inactive

Radiation is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I went to Maplin and got 5m of cable for £10.
Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:22   #4
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Just call up and say the picture on your TiVo keeps freezing and blocking. Then they'll book an engineer to come and fix that imaginary problem. Then when they arrive just say you want the box moved, it will be an easier job for the engineer as he won't need to try and locate and fix a fault but just simply move a box.
Not good advice. VM have a policy in place that if they cannot find a fault with the equipment, then they will charge a fee.

As the VM rep advised to the customer - Better to just move the box by purchasing extra cable. 30 Second job. Why waste an engineer call out for something that can be done so easily?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 18:53   #5
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not good advice. VM have a policy in place that if they cannot find a fault with the equipment, then they will charge a fee.

As the VM rep advised to the customer - Better to just move the box by purchasing extra cable. 30 Second job. Why waste an engineer call out for something that can be done so easily?
As an engineer myself I would much prefer a job to be moving a box rather than finding a fault and fixing it. It would be up to the engineers discretion anyway to put in force this policy. Most would just do the job, then close it down with a basic fault code.

Also I've been to many job where, I turn up and the person is no longer experiencing the fault.
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote