Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 23-04-2011, 14:34   #61
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Started appearing on VM Support forum today.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2011, 14:54   #62
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!
AFAIK, the V+ upscaled 576 SD to 1080.

I found NockO's response poorly written and not clear.

I'd be very surprised if Tivo is upscaling 576 SD to 720 and your TV doing 720 to 1080 if you select 1080 out on the Tivo. In my view Tivo will be upscaling 576 to 1080 and outputting that if 1080 is selected in the Tivo menu.

From what i've read the Sky boxes output poor quality SD compared to the V+ box, so I doubt Sky can make any boasts in that area.

TBH, my Tivo SD picture, although not as good as V+ s still better than the Freview picture from my TV's inbuilt tuner or my separate Sony freeview box. It's perfectly liveable with.

It may be worth some people looking at their TV settings, because if they've got a lot of the enhancments turned on and things such as sharpness set high, a poorer quality source picture will look worse with the enhancments turned on.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:58   #63
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
AFAIK, the V+ upscaled 576 SD to 1080.

I found NockO's response poorly written and not clear.

I'd be very surprised if Tivo is upscaling 576 SD to 720 and your TV doing 720 to 1080 if you select 1080 out on the Tivo. In my view Tivo will be upscaling 576 to 1080 and outputting that if 1080 is selected in the Tivo menu.

From what i've read the Sky boxes output poor quality SD compared to the V+ box, so I doubt Sky can make any boasts in that area.

TBH, my Tivo SD picture, although not as good as V+ s still better than the Freview picture from my TV's inbuilt tuner or my separate Sony freeview box. It's perfectly liveable with.

It may be worth some people looking at their TV settings, because if they've got a lot of the enhancments turned on and things such as sharpness set high, a poorer quality source picture will look worse with the enhancments turned on.
Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor , but to be fair with 50+ HD channels I don't worry to much with SD.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:02   #64
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor.
Yep sorry, wrong choice of words --- you phrased it better!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:13   #65
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!
I believe V+ output everything at the selected resolution. I've got me TIVO set to 720P and also had my V+ set to 720P (my TV is 720P). As far as I can tell both boxes should be upscaling SD to 720P, and the SD on the SA V+ is far superior. Still, most of my viewing is HD now at least!
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:04   #66
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor , but to be fair with 50+ HD channels I don't worry to much with SD.
Meeeooooowwwww!!! Ha ha
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:26   #67
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
Meeeooooowwwww!!! Ha ha
I know couldnt resist ha ha
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:33   #68
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I changed the settings -both on television (colour, sharpness etc) and the TiVo box ( I think I have 720 and 1080i output only selected and the quality is much better. I think it's a matter as with all new connections, you have to experiment and tweak according to your equipment and preferences.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:00   #69
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
I changed the settings -both on television (colour, sharpness etc) and the TiVo box ( I think I have 720 and 1080i output only selected and the quality is much better. I think it's a matter as with all new connections, you have to experiment and tweak according to your equipment and preferences.
I've tried everything both ends and TiVo sd and hd aren't a patch on V+.

The thing is, V+ just worked. The PQ was ace out the box, didn't have to tweak either end at all. And on my TV there's very little you can tweak.

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:03   #70
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I'm really happy with the picture quality on my TiVo box. Much prefer it to the old Samsung V+ box.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 21:44   #71
scgf
Inactive

Services: Freeview HD, TNTSat (France), Apple TV
scgf is on a distinguished roadscgf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
I've tried everything both ends and TiVo sd and hd aren't a patch on V+.

The thing is, V+ just worked. The PQ was ace out the box, didn't have to tweak either end at all. And on my TV there's very little you can tweak.

Boz
I completely agree. I sent my TiVo back because I found SD unwatchable. I am quite picky about picture quality. HD wasn't as good as with my V+ either.

The experience made me think about what I was watching and I realised that the vast majority of my viewing was of channels available for free on Freeview so when Freeview HD became available here I bought a 3View HD box and am now getting really acceptable SD pictures and excellent quality HD - better even than the V+.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 00:14   #72
Silverspeed
Inactive

Silverspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an installation booked for 05.05.11 for the Tivo box. I'm really concerned about the picture quality issue and I will be following this thread closely. I have an HD ready 65 inch rear projection TV currently connected to SKy HD Box. SD and HD picture quality for both on SKY is superb.

Tivo box might offer many benefits but without superb SD and HD picture quality
its pointless for Sky customers like myself switching over to Tivo.

Like its already been mentioned, can existing Tivo customers please share your knowledge about picture quality. Virgin also need to respond in clear language to concerns raised about picture quality.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I have an installation booked for 05.05.11 for the Tivo box. I'm really concerned about the picture quality issue and I will be following this thread closely. I have an HD ready 65 inch rear projection TV currently connected to SKy HD Box. SD and HD picture quality for both on SKY is superb.

Tivo box might offer many benefits but without superb SD and HD picture quality
its pointless for Sky customers like myself switching over to Tivo.

Like its already been mentioned, can existing Tivo customers please share your knowledge about picture quality. Virgin also need to respond in clear language to concerns raised about picture quality.

Oop sorry for repeat posting
Silverspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 01:01   #73
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

I really am not seeing a fall in picture quality from V+ to Tivo. My Tivo is delivering as good a picture as my V+ ever did.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 08:10   #74
Buzzman
Inactive

Services: VIP 50 with TIVO
Buzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have no concerns over PQ. After the boxes were swapped (V+ for TIVO), I did need to tweak the settings on my 40" Toshiba, but now I have a very comparable picture on both SD and HD. I have however heard it mentioned on here that it is on the larger screens that a drop in PQ becomes evident.
I guess what I'm saying is that until you hook it up to your own equipment you will never know if it is acceptable to you or not. If it is no good, send it back. Let us know how you get on.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 09:36   #75
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

I have a Panasonic neopdp, HD is absolutley fudging brilliant, but scaling on it isnt brilliant, either from the freeview or freesat tuners (HD on freesat is mega) thats why i am grateful that the samsung V+ is so good at scaling SD, on virgin i dont have over 50 quality HD channels to choose from, so this is going to be the absolute deal breaker for me.. i won't be getting TiVO purley because of reports of poor sd performance. There is no need for any one to start saying its only slightly worse - i can see these things, honestly i can, i calibrated my tv's colour balance and grey scale with an eye-one display probe, but it was nearly spot on by just by my own eye, i can't go backwards, i will probably be the last V+ user in town.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote