Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 22-04-2011, 08:41   #46
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
If there are tweaks or not depends on your TV really.
If your TV has a decent upscaler then you can set the box to output SD as 567p and let your TV upscale it which could give a better picture than just having Tivo upscale.
If I try to set the Tivo to 720p it crashes the box when it tests the setting!

Would agree the 90% as good as view versus SA V+, TV (Sony KDL40HX803)tweaks done just cannot get it to be as good (it is better now, was 80% before).

The strange thing still is that the difference between SD and HD is not as much, in so far HD is not as crystal clear as before so seems closer to the "smoothed" SD picture! The SA V+ seemed to show a big difference on my TV except BBC1 in particular whose SD picture seemed to be so well upscaled on the V+ that it looked virtually HD to me (not the case now).

Points to the upscaler hardware in the Tivo just not generating as good a quality feed into you TV.

May be down to firmware implementation since Tivo had to port their software over to the new Cisco box, still think VM should take this as a real issue and investigate.

Anybody from VM here able to feed this back as we are not talking of just a few people here so I think this is worthy of investigation?
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2011, 09:02   #47
sidneysides
Inactive

sidneysides is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Pass, however on V+ the difference between 1 and 1HD for breakfast news was noticeable. What's even more noticeable is the very poor picture on TiVo for me.

I really need to try on-demand HD to see how that fares, and experiment with the TV out settings, but getting time to do that with household TV demands is proving tricky!

Boz
I don't think BBC Breakfast is in HD anyway
sidneysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 09:19   #48
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

All in all TiVo sounds a right catch
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 09:42   #49
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
I watched the snooker yesterday on BBC 2 and I thought the PQ was outstanding. Equally as good as the V+.
Snooker should look great, strong colours and fixed camera angle + extremley little mpeg compression. It probably won't be using anywhere near its mux capacity.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:35   #50
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

This was posted by a VM staff member on the TiVo Help & Support Forum. I'm no technical wizard, but I assume this forced SD output of 720p is why a lot of people are saying the TiVo PQ for SD broadcasts is "soft" compared to the V+.

Let's hope the development team do extend the output options so users can choose how they want the box to output SD. This is how it should have been set up from the start. A state of the art STB like this should have multiple options that allows the customer to choose something that matches their own preference, not have VM dictate what they think is best for people's TV!

"All I can say is that we've made the decision to upscale where the user has accepted multiple resolution settings including any that are higher than the native output. We have also prioritised 720p output over 1080i for SD channels when it is selected. We don't use 720p over 1080i on HD channels when both are selected because the native output of the HD channel is 1080i, and the two resoultions are generally considered about equal. I don't know why we choose 720p over 1080i for SD channels. I personally (my opinion) prefer 720p to 1080i, and perhaps they chose it because there are fewer pixels to upscale with 720p and TiVo does a better
job with progressive scan (this is just postulation).

While I understand that this may not be the best way of doing things for users whose other devices may do a better job of upscaling content, it will provide the best picture for the average household with an HDTV. As I'm sure you know, if you want to be sure that you get the native output you simply choose only the native video resolution of the channel that you are watching. I will have a word with some of the development team to see whether there is a possibility of expanding the these settings to give the users like yourself more control over video output. "
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 20:56   #51
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

The SA V+ upscaled all SD to 720P/1080i when in HD mode anyway, so I can't see that would make a difference. Presumably people are asking for the option to output SD native and let other devices upscale. I've had a bit of a play with my TV settings, and have got things looking a bit better now. SD still not on a par with the SA V+ for me though.
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:09   #52
smcaul
Inactive

Services: XL BB, Xl TV +Tivo, V+, VHD ,XL Phone, 1Gb Mobile BB, 3 x Virgin Mobiles
smcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nice

I have a Panasonic 32" and have to say that I can see no difference between my old SA V+ box and the new Tivo in either SD or HD, the picture is not soft in any way and is as sharp as it has always been.
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 09:23   #53
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
This was posted by a VM staff member on the TiVo Help & Support Forum. I'm no technical wizard, but I assume this forced SD output of 720p is why a lot of people are saying the TiVo PQ for SD broadcasts is "soft" compared to the V+.

Let's hope the development team do extend the output options so users can choose how they want the box to output SD. This is how it should have been set up from the start. A state of the art STB like this should have multiple options that allows the customer to choose something that matches their own preference, not have VM dictate what they think is best for people's TV!

"All I can say is that we've made the decision to upscale where the user has accepted multiple resolution settings including any that are higher than the native output. We have also prioritised 720p output over 1080i for SD channels when it is selected. We don't use 720p over 1080i on HD channels when both are selected because the native output of the HD channel is 1080i, and the two resoultions are generally considered about equal. I don't know why we choose 720p over 1080i for SD channels. I personally (my opinion) prefer 720p to 1080i, and perhaps they chose it because there are fewer pixels to upscale with 720p and TiVo does a better
job with progressive scan (this is just postulation).

While I understand that this may not be the best way of doing things for users whose other devices may do a better job of upscaling content, it will provide the best picture for the average household with an HDTV. As I'm sure you know, if you want to be sure that you get the native output you simply choose only the native video resolution of the channel that you are watching. I will have a word with some of the development team to see whether there is a possibility of expanding the these settings to give the users like yourself more control over video output. "
Thanks for highlighting this, so there may well be an underlying reason why Tivo does not perform as well as a V+ in some cases. I have posted on that forum and have asked Nick to provide feedback from the development team.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:58   #54
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

So if I uncheck 720p and just put in 1080i I can get my v+ pic back?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:00   #55
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Should do - my output is 1080i on the TiVo.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 12:34   #56
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
So if I uncheck 720p and just put in 1080i I can get my v+ pic back?
Probably not.

What you select will be dependent on what the native resolution of your TV is.

If your TVs 1080, then selecting 720 is wrong anyway. You're scaling twice; 576 to 720 in the Tivo and then your TV is scaling 720 to 1080. The fewer times you scale a picture, the better.

It seems that the upscaler chip in the Tivo is not as good as the one in the SA V+, because people who ran the V+ and Tivo at 1080, are getting a worse SD picture on Tivo.

This is strange, because Cisco own SA, so why not stick with a proven scaler chip?

I do find it softer, but I've found that I've got used to it over the last few days, so it's not a massive drawback, but very dissapointing given the excellent SD picture from the SA V+.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:24   #57
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
The samsung's sd picture was useless compared to the sa v+ it was so obvious it was embaressing,i was looking forward to getting it i couldnt wait to get rid of it.
Completely false. Your box/tv/setup must have had issues. The SA box being better than Samsung is a myth for picture quality.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:47   #58
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
Completely false. Your box/tv/setup must have had issues. The SA box being better than Samsung is a myth for picture quality.
That's opinion not fact
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:54   #59
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Probably not.

What you select will be dependent on what the native resolution of your TV is.

If your TVs 1080, then selecting 720 is wrong anyway. You're scaling twice; 576 to 720 in the Tivo and then your TV is scaling 720 to 1080. The fewer times you scale a picture, the better.

It seems that the upscaler chip in the Tivo is not as good as the one in the SA V+, because people who ran the V+ and Tivo at 1080, are getting a worse SD picture on Tivo.

This is strange, because Cisco own SA, so why not stick with a proven scaler chip?

I do find it softer, but I've found that I've got used to it over the last few days, so it's not a massive drawback, but very dissapointing given the excellent SD picture from the SA V+.
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!
Old 23-04-2011, 15:08   #60
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!
To be honest I haven't seen any reports of anyone handing TIVO back , apart from one bloke on TIVO community when it first launched.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote