Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 20-04-2011, 20:54   #16
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

I wonder if the issues people are having with TiVo Sd picture quality is to do with the Plasma V LCD argument. I have both (Samsung 42" Plasma and 40" Samsung LCD) and have found that Plasma is much better at dealing with SD pictures.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 20:58   #17
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

As stated this morning I definitely see a softer less detail picture both in SD and HD, the specific detail seen in HD (e.g. lines on face) just isn’t as strong on my Sony KDL40HX803 TV when the Tivo replaced my SA V+ with no setting changes made. Would appreciate if any Sony TV owners could compare their picture settings with those of mine below especially if you feel the picture hasn’t changed. Clearly everybody has their own preferences so just seeing if I’ve not done something stupid on my own settings!

Video Output Format in Tivo: 1080i, this was auto detected by Tivo

Sony Picture Settings:

Motionflow: Standard
Screen Select: Auto
Target Input: Current
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 9
Contrast 84
Brightness 44
Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 25
Film Mode: Auto 1
Advanced Contract Enhancer (under advanced settings): Medium

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I wonder if the issues people are having with TiVo Sd picture quality is to do with the Plasma V LCD argument. I have both (Samsung 42" Plasma and 40" Samsung LCD) and have found that Plasma is much better at dealing with SD pictures.
Always a thought but if that was the issue I would have had a softer picture with my SA V+ as well?
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:09   #18
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Can any of the VM tecchy gurus on here confirm anything about the upscaling hardware/software in the TiVo, in comparison to the Samsung or SA V+? Is it completely different, for example? And if they know whether VM could change this in a future release to improve the quality or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?

Cheers guys!
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:09   #19
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
As stated this morning I definitely see a softer less detail picture both in SD and HD, the specific detail seen in HD (e.g. lines on face) just isn’t as strong on my Sony KDL40HX803 TV when the Tivo replaced my SA V+ with no setting changes made. Would appreciate if any Sony TV owners could compare their picture settings with those of mine below especially if you feel the picture hasn’t changed. Clearly everybody has their own preferences so just seeing if I’ve not done something stupid on my own settings!

Video Output Format in Tivo: 1080i, this was auto detected by Tivo

Sony Picture Settings:

Motionflow: Standard
Screen Select: Auto
Target Input: Current
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 9
Contrast 84
Brightness 44
Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 25
Film Mode: Auto 1
Advanced Contract Enhancer (under advanced settings): Medium

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Always a thought but if that was the issue I would have had a softer picture with my SA V+ as well?
Very true ,just a thought.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:10   #20
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
" or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?"
I hope not!
Old 20-04-2011, 21:34   #21
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

42" Panasonic TX-P42GT30B. SD better on TiVo, HD the same.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:08   #22
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't comment on TIVO yet but I will say this, Samsung vs SA box are 100% identical. I owned both for a while and did a comparison test. Absolutely no difference to mine and several mates eyes in both SD and HD. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mad as they are identical.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:38   #23
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Can any of the VM tecchy gurus on here confirm anything about the upscaling hardware/software in the TiVo, in comparison to the Samsung or SA V+? Is it completely different, for example?
It's completely different hardware from three different silicon manufacturers, but the internal details will be closely-guarded secrets.

Quote:
And if they know whether VM could change this in a future release to improve the quality or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?
VM don't write the software. The silicon vendors, Cisco and/or Tivo may be able to change it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:41   #24
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Toshiba LCD 32" (720p) with no post processing. Was a lovely picture on samsung V+, but TiVo is grainy and soft. Tried setting TiVo to 720p only, and it looked slightly better than 1080i. Will try the other settings and HD channels some other time.

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:25   #25
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I agree. We have a 37" Panasonic Plasma and the picture with the TIVO is excellent, as it was before with the V+ box
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:33   #26
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Dam, and I only bought my TV 9 months ago, would have bought a Plasma if I had known!! Now, what is the chance of VM replacing my TV to get a better picture on Tivo!! (joke)
Old 21-04-2011, 08:36   #27
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Dam, and I only bought my TV 9 months ago, would have bought a Plasma if I had known!! Now, what is the chance of VM replacing my TV to get a better picture on Tivo!! (joke)
There's always been a big debate about the difference between Plasma and LCD. I have always preferred Plasma, even though we also have 2 LCD TV's. We had our V+ installed where our old Samsung sbt was and although the HD picture quality is very good the sd picture is still not brilliant and it's only a 32" LCD TV so hate to think what it would be like on a larger screen
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 11:31   #28
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Hmm, was watching BBC 1 breakfast news on 1 and 1 HD, and there's not a lot between them. Both grainy, washed out and soft. Nasty.

V+ was sharp and vibrant, especially on HD. Not good.

Boz
Old 21-04-2011, 11:43   #29
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Hmm, was watching BBC 1 breakfast news on 1 and 1 HD, and there's not a lot between them. Both grainy, washed out and soft. Nasty.

V+ was sharp and vibrant, especially on HD. Not good.

Boz
Is it filmed in HD do we know?
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 11:47   #30
DaBoz
Inactive

Pass, however on V+ the difference between 1 and 1HD for breakfast news was noticeable. What's even more noticeable is the very poor picture on TiVo for me.

I really need to try on-demand HD to see how that fares, and experiment with the TV out settings, but getting time to do that with household TV demands is proving tricky!

Boz