Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Complete Newbie! What does install involve?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Not In A Virgin Media Area, Is There Anything I Can Do To Get It Connected

Old 07-05-2009, 18:18   #1
Dark Light
Inactive

Dark Light is an unknown quantity at this point
Not In A Virgin Media Area, Is There Anything I Can Do To Get It Connected

I do not live in a Virgin media area, however about 5 or 6 houses up the street cable is connected. So is there anything I can do to get that cable extended to my street, so I can get Virgin Media's 50 Mbit broadband?
Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2009, 19:09   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Not In A Virgin Media Area, Is There Anything I Can Do To Get It Connected

Simple answer, no. Virgin Media just are not extending their cable network. It costs them far too much to service the debt from the network that they did build / inherit.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:05   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Longer answer, maybe. There's a glimmer of hope here.

Quote:
We have identified around half a million homes whose proximity to our existing access network makes it a commercially attractive opportunity to extend our network to reach them over the next few years. We plan to extend our network coverage to over 50,000 of these homes during 2009.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:06   #4
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

To be franky you should consider yourself lucky. I've been battling with them for over 6 months to get a stable broadband connection and am no closer to achieving that. I pay for 20mbit, and get 0.1 to 1mbit.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:09   #5
Dark Light
Inactive

Thanks, is there anything I can do to make sure that my street is connected, after all 1 customer is better then a random street.
Old 07-05-2009, 20:20   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post
Thanks, is there anything I can do to make sure that my street is connected, after all 1 customer is better then a random street.
In the current climate, no company is going to invest in anything.
Old 07-05-2009, 22:05   #7
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

They might do because hes after 50MB broadband,they tend to look at how many services you want to take and how much you are likely to spend.

6 houses away isnt really far either.

To reduce costs they might want to consider using someone else ducts or even the sewers to run Cables in new streets and developments.

Rather than BT's maybe local electricity company ducts such as EDF Energy and United Utilities. BT already do this in the westminster area and they really take the p! Because they are charging Virgin a fortune yet they wont negotiate on upgrades and maintainance.

So using a non-telecoms company ducts maybe better.

Also,would it save Virgin Media to just lay cable and install cabinets just for TV/Broadband and forget the telephone infrastructure? Its not really essential since BT now allow other providers to use its network, in the 80's and 90's they werent really required to do this which is why Cable companies rolled out there own. Mercury/Cable and Wireless laid down its own for businesses but residential users had to use a BT line and dial an access number 131 or use a dialler which dialled 132 to route calls.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 22:26   #8
Dark Light
Inactive

I'm only after broadband, Sky's 34 HD channels + anytime can't compare with Virgin's 1 + on demand. Is there anything I can do, or someone I can phone, or even pay for it my self to get it connected?
Old 07-05-2009, 23:46   #9
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Seriously? Having used both, AnytimeTV pales in comparison to VoD.

If you call sales, tell them you live close to a cabled area they should put you through to the "spotters" who will come and take a look....a little prompting may be necessary.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35   #10
Dark Light
Inactive

Yes VoD might be better then Anytime, but 34 channels is much much better then 1, I don't think Virgin Media has Dexter series 3 in HD.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51   #11
takitomouse
Inactive

Services: L Phone, XL TV, L Broadband, V+
takitomouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes VoD might be better then Anytime, but 34 channels is much much better then 1, I don't think Virgin Media has Dexter series 3 in HD.
A small point, but actually it does. On VOD!

I agree though - 34 HD channels beats 1 any day.
takitomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:43   #12
Dark Light
Inactive

Has anything changed since I wrote this thread?
Old 12-10-2009, 18:21   #13
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Has anything changed since I wrote this thread?
Yes Virgin had 7 HD channels now
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 22:37   #14
ncfc1902
cf.addict

ncfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond repute

Try emailing VM
cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk
ncfc1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 01:39   #15
Dark Light
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfc1902 View Post
Can someone confirm this?