Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One of a thousand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

STRANGE V+ problem

Old 12-02-2011, 13:52   #1
Manster62
Inactive

Services: Tivo. Virgin V+ xl tv, Virgin xl phone, xl Broadband and Virgin mobile
Manster62 is an unknown quantity at this point
STRANGE V+ problem

Hi,
Have posted this problem on the Virgin Community forum, but so far the problem hasn't been soved - despite two changes of stb.
No-one has come across this and therefore no-one seems to know how to help
When watching HD delayed while recording another HD channel, it will suddenly switch to a programme we had watched live previously, (e.g. watching Hustle on BBC1HD one night, a scene from the previous night's Eastenders suddenly cut in). it normally only runs a short time and sometimes I can rewind and it disappears, other times I just have to fast forward until it clears.
Someone initially said it could be the hard drive, but swapping the box hasn't helped. Signals have been checked and 'balanced' according to the engineer.
Anyone have any ideas/??
Cheers
Manster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2011, 13:57   #2
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light
Re: STRANGE V+ problem

I had this problem as well and when I contacted Virgin they told me an engineer would need to come out.

Try turning the box off at the wall and turning it back on again, otherwise try reformatting the hard disk. I'm not sure of the process to do that but I'm sure someone will fill in the gaps for you.

Otherwise give VM a call.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:04   #3
Manster62
Inactive

Services: Tivo. Virgin V+ xl tv, Virgin xl phone, xl Broadband and Virgin mobile

Hi - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have tried all of this. I reformatted the first drive before the box was swapped, but this didn't help so the engineer came round and gave me a new box. Still had the problem, so a second engineer came out, gave me yet another box and 'balanced' the signal. It was all okay for a week or two, but now has started happening again.
Very odd - what's the likelihood of getting two faulty boxes with the same fault? I'm hoping to move over to the Tivo (if/when I ever get a call!) and had hoped that this would solve the problem - but if it's not the box.......???
Old 12-02-2011, 14:14   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manster62 View Post
Very odd - what's the likelihood of getting two faulty boxes with the same fault?
It is likely to be a software fault, so they could all do it (or at least all of the same make - SA or Samsung). But there is probably also some local factor that makes it happen for you but not for most other people.

There was a similar fault on the SA V+ a few years ago where noise on the signal could cause the stream to switch, but as far as I know that's fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manster62 View Post
I'm hoping to move over to the Tivo (if/when I ever get a call!) and had hoped that this would solve the problem - but if it's not the box.......???
The TiVo software (and hardware) is completely different from the V+ so is very unlikely to have the same fault.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 01:09   #5
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Im glad its not just me then, yesterday at 5.30pm I had Channel 4hd on delay (3mins) I left the room to put the kettle on and when I returned FXhd was showing Nip Tuck, I dont really watch it but knew what the show was. The scene was of one of the surgeons having sex with a woman, It was this scene that made me aware of FX being on, I thought thats shocking for FX to broadcast Nip Tuck at that time of day, thinking my wife had changed the channel, but then realised she was still in the bath. Then FX showed the nip tuck ad break bumper and then froze on a Churchill ad, I changed the channel which was still showing as 142 C4hd to get rid of the frozen screen, I then tuned to FX where it was broadcasting a completely different show which wasnt in an ad break.
I know channels can get mixed up, but to show a totally different show to what the swapped channel is actually broadcasting and the content, which is no-way sutible for that time of day is shocking. I wonder what made this happen?

I have never recorded Nip Tuck.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 10:12   #6
Manster62
Inactive

Had you or any of your family watched that episode of Nip Tuck? It has always happened to us with a programme we have watched (or that was left to run), Someone explained to me that everything you watch is recorded for the buffer (allowing pausing, re-winding live tv etc.) so for some reason the hard drive jumps from delay tv to the recorded buffer. Very odd behaviour and very annoying! Hope that Tivo will get rid of this.
Old 13-02-2011, 12:38   #7
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

We dont watch Nip Tuck, but watch alot of FX, Family Guy, True Blood, so I can see what you mean, my wife never turns the V+ to standby when she goes to bed. Its just weird that the V+ can jump to an old buffer recording hours or even a day or so later.
As I type its just come back to me, the same day(friday) in planned recordings "Recovered Content 998hrs" was showing on the list, this must be conected.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote