Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contractors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Contractors

Old 17-03-2011, 17:46   #61
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold
Re: Contractors

Daz, I just seen the mcnichs prices, looks very much same as your on now.

Sounds like were getting rid of transits for one man crews and getting VW Caddys.... I look forward to the erm, lost space!
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2011, 18:31   #62
Beardyisanob
Inactive

Beardyisanob is an unknown quantity at this point

I do hope Kelly's are finished!!

Scumbag company run by idiots!
Beardyisanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:39   #63
dazj10
Inactive

dazj10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacky View Post
ey up daz, its what u make it mate, imean everytime a contractor comes in the rate of pay lowers. Wel thats in my experiance any way. Ive worked for endless contractors m8 and the pay never gets beter unless you do more. I wish the good old rates would come back for us al, but thats like asking your boss if you can finish early . Never happens
i do wish money would go back to how it used to be , but in stoke we do finish pretty early really , normally between 2 and 3 myself, and the bosses are very good with us and try to keep us all happy in regards to days off and if we need to be done early, (obviously not always possible, but sometimes they can be arsey)
just got us all thinking now on wether to stay and take the risk of lower pay or to go for the BT work,, a couple of our lads have already started it , so i can confirm that it is definately £24,000a year working monday to friday with 4 jobs a day, includes van, diesel card all tools are free including cordless drills , and backberry phone, work gets emailed to them 1 at a time( when 1 job is closed ,they email the next one to ya) but if they finish early they have to help other lads that are struggling, they work until 5 oclock

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyisanob View Post
I do hope Kelly's are finished!!

Scumbag company run by idiots!
ye, they do nothing for us just take take take , which i know most companies do anyway , but they really take the p**s
dazj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:30   #64
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazj10 View Post
hi all,, i work in stoke with kelly communications but as you all know contracts are to be renewed in april ,, and the main runners for stoke apart from kellys are fujitsu and mc nicholas,, but was wondering what their pay structures are like ,, at tthe minute i am on a 2 man crew ,and my pay is

single pull - £25
dual pull - £32
triple pull - £42
repull - £18
and then the add outlets, exts, re cables and such things are £7
doin an average of 5-6 jobs a day

am i goin to be worse off, same or better
When mcnics took over from cobra in liverpool they never offered us a new contract as cobras was near identical in price. When MAP came in the 1st thing they tried was to get us on there stupid contract making out it was a good thing there are lads on cobra and map contracts in liverpool and the cobra lads earn at least 800 a month extra. Mcnics were a brilliant company to work for imo if you work hard you got paid very well wages were always right and relised that it was the installers that make them the cash.
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:42   #65
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear something positive about McNics, alot of engineers worried about what will happen. Thanks for signing up redone!
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:56   #66
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Good to hear something positive about McNics, alot of engineers worried about what will happen. Thanks for signing up redone!
Well said JayJay. I hear plenty of positives about McNic's myself, good to hear from the horses mouth though.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:19   #67
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm working nights for Openreach doing LLU work. Contract went from £11.50 and hour to £9.20 when contract was restarted last Feb. Does anyone know the contact details for the BT contract mentioned in the earleir posts? and who or if has the contract for stb collections in the North home counties (beds,herts bucks). Quite happy what i'm doing but like to keep my contacts upto date!!
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:47   #68
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I would love them back here but it looks like map are here to stay in the north west if rumours are to be belived. Mcnics are very h&s concious we had proper health and saftey reps not just sign this or you dont get your work like map. Also the top managment are/were really approuchable and down to earth and would often agree with the techs ahead of tms and site managers especially on h&s things. There top h&s fella was great and had the managers worried every time he was around but i found him friendly enough

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
I'm working nights for Openreach doing LLU work. Contract went from £11.50 and hour to £9.20 when contract was restarted last Feb. Does anyone know the contact details for the BT contract mentioned in the earleir posts? and who or if has the contract for stb collections in the North home counties (beds,herts bucks). Quite happy what i'm doing but like to keep my contacts upto date!!
Just go to the kellys website and apply loads from north west have left to go and all say is alot better as its quality not quantity they want. as for box pick ups is that not the contractors who collect them as an sro
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 01:25   #69
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone View Post
I would love them back here but it looks like map are here to stay in the north west if rumours are to be belived. Mcnics are very h&s concious we had proper health and saftey reps not just sign this or you dont get your work like map. Also the top managment are/were really approuchable and down to earth and would often agree with the techs ahead of tms and site managers especially on h&s things. There top h&s fella was great and had the managers worried every time he was around but i found him friendly enough

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Just go to the kellys website and apply loads from north west have left to go and all say is alot better as its quality not quantity they want. as for box pick ups is that not the contractors who collect them as an sro
It was kellys who had the contract a few years ago but i heard they lost it to someone else. Any ideas?
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:48   #70
Tom2270
Inactive

Tom2270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i do wish money would go back to how it used to be , but in stoke we do finish pretty early really , normally between 2 and 3 myself, and the bosses are very good with us and try to keep us all happy in regards to days off and if we need to be done early, (obviously not always possible, but sometimes they can be arsey)
just got us all thinking now on wether to stay and take the risk of lower pay or to go for the BT work,, a couple of our lads have already started it , so i can confirm that it is definately £24,000a year working monday to friday with 4 jobs a day, includes van, diesel card all tools are free including cordless drills , and backberry phone, work gets emailed to them 1 at a time( when 1 job is closed ,they email the next one to ya) but if they finish early they have to help other lads that are struggling, they work until 5 oclock

Is this defintley confirmed. at the moment we recieve £15,000 for 4 jobs a day and work tuesday to saturday. any idea on what single man crews are going to be getting??
Tom2270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 17:48   #71
chriswhelan
Inactive

Services: bt broadband
chriswhelan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all my names chris/ex bt/install/jointer,any lads from north east/newcastle have any
contact num,used to work for ntl and vm 2yrs ago and trying to get back in trade,all my
contacts gone,thanx fellas
chriswhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 21:34   #72
dazj10
Inactive

[QUOTE=dazj10;35194605]i do wish money would go back to how it used to be , but in stoke we do finish pretty early really , normally between 2 and 3 myself, and the bosses are very good with us and try to keep us all happy in regards to days off and if we need to be done early, (obviously not always possible, but sometimes they can be arsey)
just got us all thinking now on wether to stay and take the risk of lower pay or to go for the BT work,, a couple of our lads have already started it , so i can confirm that it is definately £24,000a year working monday to friday with 4 jobs a day, includes van, diesel card all tools are free including cordless drills , and backberry phone, work gets emailed to them 1 at a time( when 1 job is closed ,they email the next one to ya) but if they finish early they have to help other lads that are struggling, they work until 5 oclock[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 24-03-2011, 07:12   #73
stacky
Inactive

stacky is an unknown quantity at this point

any 1 heard owt new bout contracts yet for yorkshire for networks
stacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 15:46   #74
dazj10
Inactive

Quote:
i do wish money would go back to how it used to be , but in stoke we do finish pretty early really , normally between 2 and 3 myself, and the bosses are very good with us and try to keep us all happy in regards to days off and if we need to be done early, (obviously not always possible, just got us all thinking now on wether to stay and take the risk of lower pay or to go for the BT work,, a couple of our lads have already started it , so i can confirm that it is definately £24,000a year working monday to friday with 4 jobs a day, includes van, diesel card all tools are free including cordless drills , and backberry phone, work gets emailed to them 1 at a time( when 1 job is closed ,they email the next one to ya) but if they finish early they have to help other lads that are struggling, they work until 5 oclock

ye, they do nothing for us just take take take , which i know most companies do anyway , but they really take the p**s
Old 27-03-2011, 16:16   #75
ary13
Inactive

ary13 is an unknown quantity at this point

New contracts for the Yorkshire region will not be anounced now until June
ary13 is offline   Reply With Quote