Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is PCM.db?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

XP Home dire slow boot up

Old 18-09-2006, 19:12   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
XP Home dire slow boot up

My dads XP Home has taken at least 45 mins to boot, I tried to run AV & Adware Sw but gave up.

tried to boot up in safe mode but 15mins and counting

Also the processor is running at 100%

any ideas, reformating not an option.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Is it possible for only one account in XP to be affected, leaving others on the system untouched?

I've boot using my login and i've got in far quicker.
Old 18-09-2006, 19:16   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: XP Home dire slow boot up

CPU running at 100% would point to an issue with a program starting up or a virus. Can you boot from an XP CD and re-install, choose to leave the files intact and only remove the Windows Folder?
If you can't boot to Safe mode then you are stuck for ways around it

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

If you can use your login then something on the other profile is knackered, can you get into the start up menu for that profile or use this
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
to stop anything running from startup on that profile which could be causing the problem? If you are an admin try checking the admin tools, event viewer for issues.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 19:23   #3
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I second what Paul says... As usual, good advice.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 19:25   #4
zing_deleted

ive seen a svchost fault crop up resently on a few machines where for some reason its running the cpu at 100 % close it once using task manager then it doesnt load 100% again (I know it dont make sense)
If you can stop whatever it is in task manager you should be able to stop it starting up also.It could also be a bad controller driver or ata lead but this is a remote chance
Old 18-09-2006, 19:38   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What svchost? Ive got 5 of them. I shut them all down and the system shut down
Old 18-09-2006, 19:42   #6
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Could it be that the drive is in PIO mode,,, thus causing 100% CPU usage and slow loading of, well, everything form disc.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 19:46   #7
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles View Post
you only needed to do it if one of them was 100% lol
Old 18-09-2006, 19:57   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

As soon as the desktop appears and its still booting, hit ctrl-alt-del if you can, and lanch task manager. Go to processes, and click the CPU header a couple of times so the highest value is at the top.

What's using the most?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 20:00   #9
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles View Post

check out some of the links in the thread you started a long time back ...lol

Thread
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 20:06   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

there are 36 processes all have '00'

javaw.exe = 33,120k
explorer.exe = 16,776k
vsmon.exe = 12, 992k
svchost.exe = 10,448k (3,620k, 3,180k, 2,704k & 1,688k for the others)

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

services.exe cpu now =99
Old 18-09-2006, 20:15   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Whats the path of the services.exe at 100%?
Old 19-09-2006, 14:50   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I managed after several hours to use a sysem restore point, which has solved the problem (I hope).

I ran AVG and found nothing.

I ran ad-ware (Lavasoft) and found loads of stuff.

Could adware stuff cause a 100% processor used
Old 19-09-2006, 15:10   #13
Paul K
Inactive

depends on what it found to be honest, may have just been a damaged system file.
Old 19-09-2006, 15:32   #14
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Now that your 'in' what progs have you got loading at start up ? run>msconfig>start up tab, I had a friends lappy do almost the same as yours, whenn it eventually let me in there were about 20 progs loading, take out ( untick ) what you don't need, this will save some resources as well.

HTH
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 22:45   #15
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Some reading for you

Linky

Linky 2

Linky 3

Its always good to google for anything your not sure of in Task manager, even start up.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote