Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The saga continues...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

The saga continues...

Old 14-10-2011, 14:58   #1
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
The saga continues...

Hi, well after I had Tivo installed... the guy left with a 2 way splitter on a 4 way port.

no cable pull booked, no HDU fitted.

then about a week later 2 guys turn up, get some cable pulling equipment off the van.. prod the T.. find it is blocked as I already knew and posted about a few weeks ago... then they left.

next thing, cable repull booked officially for the 18th to add the 2nd cable.

2 guys turn up today unannounced.. and dig out the old T and unblock it, then replace with a new one... and pull through 1 new cable.

but then find BT had damaged the existing telephone cable ( T is right next to a BT telephone pole and BT recently dug up at the base of the pole to fit some access chamber).. and it snapped in half.. so now I have no telephone line.

They said they would call their manager to try and get the repull done today instead of the 18th.. but never told me if anybody would be coming today or not before leaving.

Then phoned up VM and they said my phone line will not be repaired until the 18th.

But if these guys today contacted their manager id imagine their manage can pull people to get it done today so im not really taking much notice of what VM have said.. just dont know if this is going to be fixed today or not.

lol funny thing is, the cable is broken just underneath the cover.. and I can temporarily fix it myself as I have jelly crimps... just knowing my luck some guy will turn up and wonder what im up to. just a bit peeved about it, because the landline is pretty important to have for emergency purposes and somebody should not be dependant on a mobile phone should an emergency arise and you need to call the police, an ambulance or the fire brigade, which is why i understand it should still function in the event of a power failure especially when it is a 2 minute fix only.. even just temporarily until the repull is done.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2011, 15:10   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: The saga continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Hi, well after I had Tivo installed... the guy left with a 2 way splitter on a 4 way port.

no cable pull booked, no HDU fitted.

then about a week later 2 guys turn up, get some cable pulling equipment off the van.. prod the T.. find it is blocked as I already knew and posted about a few weeks ago... then they left.

next thing, cable repull booked officially for the 18th to add the 2nd cable.

2 guys turn up today unannounced.. and dig out the old T and unblock it, then replace with a new one... and pull through 1 new cable.

but then find BT had damaged the existing telephone cable ( T is right next to a BT telephone pole and BT recently dug up at the base of the pole to fit some access chamber).. and it snapped in half.. so now I have no telephone line.

They said they would call their manager to try and get the repull done today instead of the 18th.. but never told me if anybody would be coming today or not before leaving.

Then phoned up VM and they said my phone line will not be repaired until the 18th.

But if these guys today contacted their manager id imagine their manage can pull people to get it done today so im not really taking much notice of what VM have said.. just dont know if this is going to be fixed today or not.

lol funny thing is, the cable is broken just underneath the cover.. and I can temporarily fix it myself as I have jelly crimps... just knowing my luck some guy will turn up and wonder what im up to.
Obviously a big No No,,,, at worst I'd say it could be classed as criminal damage

But ask me if I would do it if I was in your position,,,,,,,,

In a heart beat
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:52   #3
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
I had a look and can't anyway, because the breakage is inside the pipe at the base of the t now.. But it was visible earlier when they had it all dug out.. Wouldn't mind but the new cable is already there all it needs is a network tech to connect it in the pit.. Network techs can be got out within 4 hours by an engineer.. But vm on phone are telling me I need to wait until 18th even though all it needs is a network tech literally 5 minutes work in the pit to connect the telephone wire and put an f connector on the cable it's ridicules why can engineers get networks out in a short space of time but customer service cannot?
Old 14-10-2011, 20:54   #4
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
I had a look and can't anyway, because the breakage is inside the pipe at the base of the t now.. But it was visible earlier when they had it all dug out.. Wouldn't mind but the new cable is already there all it needs is a network tech to connect it in the pit.. Network techs can be got out within 4 hours by an engineer.. But vm on phone are telling me I need to wait until 18th even though all it needs is a network tech literally 5 minutes work in the pit to connect the telephone wire and put an f connector on the cable it's ridicules why can engineers get networks out in a short space of time but customer service cannot?
I can tell you for sure, you will NOT be getting a network tech to come and connect up a drop cable for you. Network techs deal with the network itself (eg power supplies, amps and telco cards etc) oddly enough not customers drop cables!

As for the manager getting someone to do you job ahead of its scheduled date, don't you think that the techs already have fully routes of work? If they are able to fit you in sooner they will, but they can't just get someone to your property regardless of how small said job might be.
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 21:44   #5
RB2004
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
I can tell you for sure, you will NOT be getting a network tech to come and connect up a drop cable for you. Network techs deal with the network itself (eg power supplies, amps and telco cards etc) oddly enough not customers drop cables!

As for the manager getting someone to do you job ahead of its scheduled date, don't you think that the techs already have fully routes of work? If they are able to fit you in sooner they will, but they can't just get someone to your property regardless of how small said job might be.
lol, well I have never had a 2nd cable pulled or a re-pull done before so i dont know procedure. Only reason I mentioned networks, is because the guy on the phone told me networks will connect it up.

I am fully aware of that, which was why when I had tivo installed and my V+ box moved to another room I told the installer not to worry about clipping the cable, or cleaning up after.. would deal with it all myself because I know like engineers they are busy... So I cleaned up and clipped all the cable myself.

Just seeming as it is only a 5 minute job to punchdown 2 wires in an IDC connection block and put an F connector on the end of the coax it would not of added much time to an engineers already busy schedule... normally I would not care about the delay but my landline is now broken, which it wasnt this morning.

And Customer Relations are also in agreement with me that it is not really acceptable to have no landline over the weekend, and have escalated it.. after all in the event of an emergency and you need to call police, ambulance, fire brigade somebody should not be reliant on mobile phones.. which is why land lines should work in the event of a power cut.
Old 18-10-2011, 11:56   #6
RB2004
Inactive

All connected now, 2nd cable has been connected and telephone wire moved literally took 5 minutes and engineer was pleased because I'd saved him some work by doing everything the other end before his visit

Only gripe I have now is.. I'm annoyed that I've been previously lied to... Engineers previously have said.. We have moved you onto a higher tap in the pit, we have changed you onto a different tap.. But today I thought I'd have a look while the engineer had the pit open.. And... There is only 1 tap in there! Engineer confirmed this also.. A 20db tap.

So how can engineers have moved me onto a higher tap when there is only one tap in the first place.

Vm you are lying morons, so customers beware some engineers lie! To get you off their back! So check everything yourself to ensure things are being fixed as they should be
Old 18-10-2011, 19:13   #7
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

The taps are in the cabinet. And there is a bank of them of varying strengths. So who knows what's gone on here.

This sounds like an rg11 re-pull...........now isn't there thread explaining what that is somewhere?
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 19:21   #8
RB2004
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
The taps are in the cabinet. And there is a bank of them of varying strengths. So who knows what's gone on here.

This sounds like an rg11 re-pull...........now isn't there thread explaining what that is somewhere?
Nope wasnt an RG11 repull, they only pulled through an RG6 cable.

in this area, they use pits instead of cabinets.

theres 2 big cabinets at the end of the road, but down the roads themselves it is all pits.

inside the pit, there was a connection box which engineers describe as a "bomb" with the telco connections.

and 1 line tap, looking like this, with 20dB marked on it.

with big fat coax cable like this entering 1 side, and out the other,

coming from previous pit, and going to the next.

So impossible to move me onto a higher tap, if there is only 1 tap inside the pit.. and if they did, because it is a cabinet with a bunch of pits connected in series, if it is possible to move the pit onto a higher tap in the cabinet.. it would probably increase the signal to most of the street, from what I gather with pits only network techs have access to the cabinets.

This is the archtecture you are reffering to,

but that archtecture doesnt use pits, the cables go to a cabinet... but here instead the cables go to a pit.

then there are small telco cabinets, which maybe also house line amps.
but the big cabinet is at the end of the road.