Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | why is ps3 choosing 720p not 1080p

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

why is ps3 choosing 720p not 1080p

Old 06-03-2010, 13:34   #1
danstephens
Inactive

danstephens is an unknown quantity at this point
why is ps3 choosing 720p not 1080p

hi all first time writing.
Just a quick question, recently got a ps3. set up went ok. but when playing games system picks 720p instead of 1080p. why is that and anything i can do to get it to play on 1080p ?

sorry tv is 1080p and games playing say they are 1080p as well.

thanks for any help.
dan
danstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2010, 13:56   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: why is ps3 choosing 720p not 1080p

If you select 1080p in the system settings it will normally output to the TV at 1080p instead of anything lower, but bear in mind that some games are only 720p resolution. First step is to go into the system settings and check that 1080p is selected.

Oh and
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 14:28   #3
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Check the back of the games box to see the spec including the resolution the game has been made for. You'll find that most games are only 720p at this time.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:00   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Just checked and only 7 our of my 20 or so games that I own on Disc (not sure about the PSN downloads) supports 1080 and 1 of those is the SEGA Megadrive collection which doesn't really count lol
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:17   #5
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Just checked and only 7 our of my 20 or so games that I own on Disc (not sure about the PSN downloads) supports 1080 and 1 of those is the SEGA Megadrive collection which doesn't really count lol
Just had a peek at mine out of curiosity and only 2 out of my 8 titles support 1080! Batman Arkum Asylum and Borderlands.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 16:50   #6
danstephens
Inactive

First thanks for all your quick replies.
The game i'm playing supports 1080p and when i checked system settings 720p and both 1080 i and p where selected . Do i have to de-select 720p and 1080 i to get the rusult i'm after ? If so how do i go about that? I have had a go but got in a right old pickle.
Old 06-03-2010, 16:58   #7
alexcopeland
Inactive

alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

It might be worth getting th Playstation to auto detect your HDMI settings as it will go for optimal every time. From the PS3 being in stand by, hold down the power button for around 5 seconds you'll hear a series of beeps after that follow the on screen instructions.
Old 06-03-2010, 18:53   #8
danstephens
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
It might be worth getting th Playstation to auto detect your HDMI settings as it will go for optimal every time. From the PS3 being in stand by, hold down the power button for around 5 seconds you'll hear a series of beeps after that follow the on screen instructions.
thanks alexcopeland, gave that a try and it did the trick. easy when told how! Me and gadegts sometimes they don't mix!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27   #9
alexcopeland
Inactive

No worries.
Old 07-03-2010, 23:46   #10
mSi
Inactive

mSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Some games (warhawk for one) will run under 720 instead of 1080 if both options are checked, I don't know if this is usefull to know but I had to disable 720 as a TV option to use that in 1080.

Maybe some other games are the same.
mSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 16:44   #11
danstephens
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSi View Post
Some games (warhawk for one) will run under 720 instead of 1080 if both options are checked, I don't know if this is usefull to know but I had to disable 720 as a TV option to use that in 1080.

Maybe some other games are the same.
thanks useful to know
Old 08-03-2010, 17:03   #12
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

personally i can't see any difference looking between 720p andn 1080p and i have perfect vision
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 13:25   #13
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
Yep, a very useful tip, many thanks. Have to say, just checked out all my games and I only have 2 that are 1080p, quite dismayed. C'mon developers, give us some proper HD!!!
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 01:51   #14
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Glad I play on PC.. 1080 has been the standard since 2007.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 09:06   #15
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M View Post
Glad I play on PC.. 1080 has been the standard since 2007.
Dont know what the fuss is about, i can't tell the difference in look between 1080p games and 720p, i play on both pc and ps3
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote