Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting to Broadband using a Belkin Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Using Internet Connection Sharing For a Router???

Old 16-02-2005, 01:21   #1
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Using Internet Connection Sharing For a Router???

Ok.. Please, nobody ask why.

Is it possible to use internet connection sharing to supply a router with an internet connection from my internet connected PC via a NIC card?
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2005, 01:26   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Using Internet Connection Sharing For a Router???

yes it is

why?

you should be able to setup connection sharing and then set the router to use a specified ip address and it should connect... seems a rather strange way of doing it though. If you want to have a pc that is not behind the router, why not just put it in the DMZ??
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 01:39   #3
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
you should be able to setup connection sharing and then set the router to use a specified ip address and it should connect... seems a rather strange way of doing it though. If you want to have a pc that is not behind the router, why not just put it in the DMZ??
DMZ has adverse effects on lots of p2p programs aswel as several online games. maybe thats why?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 02:04   #4
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
DMZ has adverse effects on lots of p2p programs aswel as several online games. maybe thats why?
Gaming being the main reason.

At last, someone who understands that DMZ isn't the answer to all my problems

ANy ideas on how to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
yes it is

why?

What IP address do I set the router to?
Old 16-02-2005, 02:05   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

As the PC would be using ICS, I think you'd have to use the router just as a switch & not as a NAT router. Otherwise, you'd have the PC's ICS using NAT to share the connection out to the router, which would then itself be using NAT to share it again...

Should be doable though, I think.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 02:14   #6
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo
Ok.. Please, nobody ask why.

Is it possible to use internet connection sharing to supply a router with an internet connection from my internet connected PC via a NIC card?
I know you don't want us to ask but why

What you are attempting to do really defeats the purpose of having the router, besides, if the pc that you are going to setup ICS on is turned off, it will kill the entire network.

This might help :

http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband...on_sharing.php
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 03:11   #7
gimpymoo
cf.addict

Ive just signed up with the Vonage VOIP service and I HAVE to use the router top plug my phone into.

I disabled the DHCP server on the router which seems to have accomplished what I needed. The router is now an expensive switch - LOL